Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 weeks post op and I certainly have my down days. I am not sure I was fully prepared for just how long I would not be feeling that well although my surgery did not go to plan so that is one of the reasons healing is taking longer. I am not sure I was really prepared for how hard I am fining it when as a family we go out for a meal and its simply a major waste of money for me to even purchase a small meal as all I would be able to eat is an egg (breakfast seems to be my smallest meal). Cannot order the Cappuccino like everyone else as I cannot dink and eat and with them not knowing I had a sleeve op (they know I had the other things I had done), keeping it a secret is becoming harder as time goes on as its obvious something isn't right. Its my choice not to share the information with anyone, I never want my children to know as I have always advocated for a healthy lifestyle and was a reflection of that until about 7 years ago. I miss being able to eat out without concern, restaurants just don't seem to have extremely small meals, even Entrees seem to be too big. I am also struggling with sleep, I had restless leg syndrome prior to the surgery and it is 100 times worse now so I barely sleep. My ability to eat seems to fluctuate from days where I cannot eat very much at all, perhaps 4 spoonfuls at a meal to days like yesterday when I was able to consume 1/2 a wrap for lunch and the other half later in the day. I still experience sharp pains down my left hand side under the rib cage. I remain unsure of how much to eat at 6 weeks and I am concerned about stretching the sleeve.

@@swtnss - You really need to sit down with your nutritionist and go over this. At 6 weeks I was told to eat regular food as tolerated and try to keep meals between 600 - 800 calories. I found that keeping a food diary was a great help in this. I eat out often and just get doggy bags for everything. For me it's the company more than the food. As for a beverage, I just order a Water and then push it to the side. However I repeat, speak to your nutritionist. She should be able to give you sample menus. It's Protein first, then veg and I always leave simple carbs (breads, pastas, rice, etc...) for last or not at all.

Zero regrets. I am 26 days post. Feeling great. You will get there too. You will feel great... claim it! Wishing a better day/week/month for you!

@@swtnss I agree with BLERDgirl that you should consult your nutritionist. My strategy when I eat out is to always get something small like a cup of chili, an appetizer, or an a la carte item and ask for a to go container right off the bat for my leftovers or just ask for the whole thing to be brought in a to go container to begin with. As for Breakfast, I've never had any problem asking a restaurant to just bring me a scrambled egg with a little cheese mixed in. I am fortunate that my surgeon only requires me to stop drinking five minutes before eating, so I can also order a cup of coffee and so long as I finish it before the food is brought out and I don't get any refills, I don't have any problems.

You just have to get a bit creative with your menu options and ALWAYS put Protein first. I will order chicken or shrimp appetizers or a cup of chili when I'm out for lunch or dinner. If something comes with sides, I will just ask that they not be brought at all or I will order something my husband will eat and give it to him.

I am 3 years post op and it has changed, even saved my life. I was super morbidly obeses and am now normal sized. It remains hard, but for different reasons. I suggest staying focused on why you did this....keep your eye on the prize. The uncomfortable early months soon become a distant memory...hang in there.

I am loving this thread!!! I am having my surgery tomorrow and was scared to death. Your comments have re-assured me and made me much happier about my decision!!! Thank you!!!!

@@BLERDgirl, I had a similar experience. Surgery was very easy. I had trouble getting liquids down, so they kept me 2 nights on IV fluids. I didn't have that feeling of having exercised a lot. By the time the 2 days were over, it felt as though nothing had happened! The pattern of eating everything gradually with no problems and getting fluids in was the same. I feel very fortunate to have had the sleeve surgery.

Edited by BeagleLover

So there with you kindle!

I am exactly one week out as of today. It's been tough to get the required amount of Protein and Water in however, all in all, its been great. Minimal pain, nothing too serious. I dropped a whopping 17lbs in one week which is cray cray yall. Anyways- thought I'd throw my two cents out there since this is mostly a womens thread!

I had my surgery one week before my 26th birthday and was so depressed on my birthday. I just stayed at home in bed crying. I wasn't sure if I made the right decision but now 3-1/2 months post op I wish I would have had the surgery when I was 20 yrs old. Love my progress and I can't walk down the street and see anyone I know without them saying how great I look. I promise it will get better!

@@swtnss are you taking anything for your restless leg syndrome? I have it bad too but take .25 mg of mirapex at night or when I need it, like long car rides, and its been a great remedy for me. If you're not taking anything, talk to your primary care. I have also read that magnesium can help.

At 2.5 weeks I was freaking miserable and kicking myself. At 4.5 months, I am down 70 lbs and feel like a whole new world is in front of me. Please take comfort and know that is a common reaction to this journey and you WILL get past it and feel and be awesome!

Thank you everyone for the advice and kind words.

I absolutely have no regrets. I would recommend the surgery to anyone who needed it. I have had an easy time from what I can tell, with very little pain. I woke up in recovery and a short time realized that I needed to go to the bathroom. I sat up and thought "wow, very little pain" I walked pushing my IV to the bathroom, came out and asked to continue walking. I wanted to cough up the junk that settles in the chest during surgery. I only walked with a nurse in recovery, I was passed on to my room with the message "she is already walking fine by herself". I walked and walked the halls until they released me. I had nausea after coming home that day, but I think it was because I ate yogurt and it was day 2... I went back to clear fluids for a few days and have been fine every since. I have never gagged or thrown up, have no idea what the slime is that I read about. I did experience gas at times but walked it out. I can't say my stomach ever hurts, but I can tell when my stomach isn't agreeing with a food, so I quit... To me it is easy to listen to your body... So my advice would be to listen, and never force anything or eat anything you don't like or that isn't agreeing with you.

There isn't a food out there that I like more than knowing I will finally be a healthy weight in the near future.... I am excited about my future.

I eat out often, my husband enjoys that and I wouldn't want him to miss out (he's always been avg wt) so I go along and eat what is available for me. I've always eaten slow, he eats at a normal rate, so finally, we are finishing dinner @ same time since I eat so little. Thankfully Mexican is my favorite food and refried Beans was the first food I ate out.

We go to the gym 4 times a week together, and my husband is my greatest encourager.

I have found I am not interested even in the looks of fried foods whatsoever, there is no temptation there, and so many things taste sweet to me, I can't imagine a dessert like I used to. I do long for fresh vegetables but for now settle for V8. I will say that sometimes the smell of food makes me hungry... And wish they had done something with that lol.

Only negative is I can't seem to get into cooking like I used to, I never followed recipes and tasted as I went. It was difficult @ Christmas trying to cook, and I make a mean Mac n cheese and to see my husband say "it doesn't taste like your Mac n cheese" And back to the kitchen I went to try and make it better... Gee how do I cook without tasting? I probably ate a whole meal while cooking prior to this.... But not that big of deal, my husband has been learning to cook. Oh, and BM's are not the same but I understand why.

I haven't lost a huge amt of weight yet, but I can fly up and down my steps with no without pain and I was on my knees trying to reach something under my bed yesterday, I was crawling around and it hit me "you have not done this in a very long time" I am getting healthier and more fit and I wish This had been available 25 years ago. No regrets!

I do long for fresh vegetables but for now settle for V8.

Aren't you allowed to eat fresh vegetables???