Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled with second thoughts

Hang in there! It does get better. Losing 5lbs in one week is a boost to me, so, we 'll keeping downing those shakes.

I have to lose 20lbs, so hopefully in 3 weeks. I'm so ready!

I just got out of the hospital from my operation yesterday. My doctor is participating in a study comparing traditional DS surgery with the single anastomosis loop DS. I am really in pretty good shape and on the day of my surgery my BMI was only 35.8, so I was most interested in not gaining weight back and minimizing long term complications. I opted for a single anastomosis DS with a 250 cm common channel. I was in terrible pain from the gas right after surgery, but left the hospital about 30 hours after surgery. The surgeon said my numbers were amazing. I've been able to consume about 6 oz of liquid at a time, and my digestive system is behaving mostly normally. I just wanted to put it out there. The reason that surgeons are talking about the new operation is that it is a much simpler surgery with fewer complications and, at least in my experience, I will have about a week of downtime, as opposed to three weeks that is common with DS surgery. I know everyone is anxious to lose wait as fast as possible, but this is a lifetime that we're talking about, and I feel like I made the better choice for my long term choice.

My surgery was Friday 02/20. I stayed in the hospital that night and the next night. Came home Sunday morning. I had trouble keeping my pain meds down. My surgery lasted about 5 hours so I have a TON on air/gas to get rid of. Overall 3rd day out I'm feeling/doing great. 40oz of Water and 60g Protein and its 5:15 pm. I chose not to have the sadi-s/loop for personal reasons. There are no long term studies and I didn't want to go through surgery again if that turns out to be a flop also the bile reflux did not sound appealing to me at all and how you must defy gravity for the procedure to work correctly. Its everyone's personal choice to make. I did only take 2 weeks off work and from what i hear from other ds'ers downtime for most is a week or so. My common channel is 100. Glad your feeling well!

Edited by KShingler82

The gas pain( not in the belly but in the chest) was awful! I went in to my initial consult thinking I was going to do a switch, but since I don't have a ton of weight to lose, I liked the idea of a more moderate operation, with less complications and the long term benefits of the DS like very low incidence of weight regain. If it weren't available, I would have done the traditional operation. I read the studies from France and Spain, and Australia, where the single anastomosis operation has been the more common for several years, and I was comfortable with the outcomes. I also kind of like it that if I do end up with some kind of severe malnutrition, the modification operation is quick and easy. I wouldn't judge anybody else's choice. I just gave mine. Since our surgey dates are virtually the same, let's keep in touch and see if we can be helpful to each other. Almost everybody around here is doing a sleeve, so it's a really different animal.

Sounds good lol are you on any of the Facebook DS pages? I use them a lot because the people have been so helpful with all my questions! Its a personal choice for each of us. My Dr wanted to do the sadi-s I just chose not to. I could only find 3 years worth of studies and it just wasn't long enough. What day did you have yours? I had been looking for someone to be my surgery date buddy and the closest I could come was 3 weeks lol

I don't know of any Facebook groups, but I'll join if you shoot me a link. My surgery was last Thursday and yours was Friday, right?

Snarky, Type "Duodenal Switch" in the FB search.

I know a lot of DSers don't want SADI-S / Loop DS / SIPS people in their group because SADI is not the DS. It's different in every way.

I just had a revision from RNY to SIPS 3/16/15

I found one group for SADI and there's nothing going on. No one posts.