Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching your Sleeve?

What stretches the sleeve? Eating to fast or eating to much?

That's like a chicken or the egg question. If you eat too fast you could eat too much. You have to give the food time to get to your belly in order for the signal to be sent to your brain that you're done.

Edited by georgiare

I found that to be true last night. I ate too fast and didn't know how full I was until it was too late. I was soooo sick! I never want to feel that way again. It was terrible!

Too much food stretches the stomach. Why eat fast? Enjoy and savor every bite.

Hint..........You have a brand new "BABY" stomach.............think of it that way. While your baby grows and the more food you feed it, their stomach get larger.

You now are that baby. If you want your stomach to stay small, you will eat correctly and not eat what is NOT good for you. or.... you can eat crap food and end up right where you started.

This is why most fail. They do not realize they were given a second chance and they mess it up, not the doctor, not the friends.....they did it to themselves.

Just eat the right size portions, eat when you are hungry only, and realize they did surgery on your Stomach not your Brain. Only you can change your way of thinking.

Annamarie

Great advise.

Can anyone help me? I had the sleeve 3 weeks ago, At 1 week befor surgery starting on liquids my weight was 242 lbs. Now 3 weeks after surgery I weight 223. But this week I have not loss the expected 2 lbs a week. I am still on soft foods.

It seems to early in my weight loss to stand still at 223 for a week. Has any one done this, this early ?

@@winter1023 if you do a blog search for the week 3 stall, you'll find that it is actually very common.

Hint..........You have a brand new "BABY" stomach.............think of it that way. While your baby grows and the more food you feed it, their stomach get larger.

You now are that baby. If you want your stomach to stay small, you will eat correctly and not eat what is NOT good for you. or.... you can eat crap food and end up right where you started.

This is why most fail. They do not realize they were given a second chance and they mess it up, not the doctor, not the friends.....they did it to themselves.

Just eat the right size portions, eat when you are hungry only, and realize they did surgery on your Stomach not your Brain. Only you can change your way of thinking.

Annamarie

This is about one of the best pieces of advice I have seen on this forum since I joined....and there is lots of advice here to utilize. I will remember this one here for sure!! Thanks.

@@winter1023 I'm also at a stall this week. Sucks, but since I hear it's normal I'm trying not to freak out.

My NUT warned me recently that eating and drinking at the same time was the most likely way to stretch the stomach over the long term. Been trying to avoid doing that and sticking to the 30 min time limit for drinking after eating.

Remember to keep focus while you are eating so that you note how your stomach is feeling. Even after you get an idea how much you can usually eat at a sitting, sometimes the stomach signals will still vary and you actually will need a little less. I have learned that it is far better to eat a little less, remembering that I can always eat more later, than to get to that uncomfortable place of having had too much. Good luck!