Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the weight loss look differently post WLS?

I'm going through pics and I'm reading through the threads and I'm seeing that people who lost 50 pounds, you see a drastic difference from the before pic. When I lost 50 pounds in the past I didn't see a huge difference. Does the loss really look differently post WLS?

I started at 237, so at 50 pounds I was 187 and really did not see much of a difference. Either way I was still fat, lol. I think I started noticing that I was getting thin when I was around 155ish, but I wasn't really happy with how I looked until right where I am now, at 130. Even then some days, I look in the mirror and I'm like, yuck girl go get on a treadmill.

Haha, so yes, to answer your question I think 50 pounds looks differently to different people.

Maybe it's different from different people. The last time I was on a diet and lost weight was 4 years ago. I lost about 30 pounds and it was quite a big difference. I went from a size 18 to a 14. My waist became tiny. Unfortunately I gained it all back and an additional 15. So far I am 24 down since surgery and don't see much difference yet. My clothes are getting loose though.

I started at 287 and it was 75 pounds before "I" noticed a difference, although other people did.. I am only 5'4.. It depends on your body type and your perception of how heavy your are, as we often exaggerate that fact in what we see in the mirror, as opposed to what's actually there. I had lost 96 lbs and regained it in the past. I feel that then I noticed faster but I was exercising much more intensely then and imagine therein lies the difference for me.

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

Yes it does. And it looks and feels great!

Yes it does look different. I look so much better. My jeans sag, without me trying. Plus ibhave tons of energy. You'll look and feel super.

That was a noticeable difference for me. I looked healthier, started to gave more of a glow. post-161802-14221059908164_thumb.jpg

@@laurenella82 I've lost abut 65 lbs and I look drastically different, as you say, the result seems disproportionate to the actual pounds lost. However, I haven't lost much in the past 2 months and I still look like I'm shrinking. All I can guess is that for the first time in my life I am seriously exercising. I'm also eating a much higher Protein diet than other plans I followed in the past, so maybe that accounts for the new me - more muscle, less fat!

Ellen

It is a big difference for me from 269to190. I am 5'6" and I look longer/smaller. My goal is between 140 to 150. I will be at six months sleeved on 2/1. I always have to work on my body image. I can not let myself see that same 269lbs woman in the mirror every morning. My distorted body image is one of the reasons after weight loss I gain everything thing back. I know this is a long hard fight in my case.

Losing 50# via WLS versus any other method is still 50# lost - is that your question?

I started at a very high BMI, weighed over 300# and nobody even noticed the first 50# lost. When I had lost 75 or so the comments started rolling in. I tell you - that experience was an eye opener that i was so big that 50# was sort of a rounding number...egad.

A pound is s pound, WLS or not, but there can be other factors in play. For example, my trainer has been working a lot on my posture and balance. I am standing up straighter and carrying myself differently. Also, now that I am out of plus sized clothing, I'm wearing things that are cut differently. In plus size, the sleeves are cut very wide, even if you don't need all that extra fabric. So now, when I wear long sleeves, I'm filling the sleeve, but I don't have all that extra fabric bulk. As soon as I got new clothes I really saw the difference. It's killing my budget, but I am getting rid of clothing as soon as they get too loose. I'm not working this hard to hide behind an oversized wardrobe.

I remember you posting this last month and me thinking 'I can't wait til I'm down 50 lbs!!' And here I am! 8 1/2 weeks out, currently down 55 lbs as of today! I took this pic on Monday though, down 52! I remember losing 50 in the past and it not seeming as drastic. I still have a long way to go, but it's a start and I HAVE A WAIST THAT GOES INWARD FINALLLLLLLLY! LOL Can't wait to see you post some pictures!!

post-239826-1425002689821_thumb.jpg

Ha!!! I like it!!!! Thanks!!