Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For newbies, I'm Just starting the process......wait a minute, that can't be right.

I'm disgusted with how I look and feel...so I finally thought I'd look into Weight loss surgery. Just to see what is available and if If it would work for me. Looked up some local Surgeons and Hospitals on the net and some of the surgeons had free information seminars. So, I'm going to my first seminar tonight.....err.....

.I mean support group. (not really for support..I just like showing off the new bod and encouraging others) Confused....don't be :blink:

The point I'm trying to make is...... it surely seems like I just started the process....... When I thought about getting surgery, I figured I probably wouldn't qualify and the cost was probably more than I could afford....but what the heck, I'm fat and not losing my way, so what could it hurt. Probably won't do it and nutin's gonna change anyway.

So I went.... I kinda thought my interests was in the Lap Band. Ya know, the one I've already heard about. I get there and find out there is now three or even four different types of procedures and a whole lot of statistics. Great.....choices.....I didn't expect choices. I wanted sure fire easy. I had my notepad with a bunch of questions and after the surgeon spoke about each procedure, I fired away with several questions about the Band. He was very informative and heightened my interests. There was a few of his patients there that spoke about their processes and experiences and that, I felt was the most convincing. I gave the coordinator my insurance info and thought.....now we'll see what happens.

Guess what.....my insurance actually covered WLS. So I made an appointment with the surgeon for a consult. Just a consult...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.(I thought....I'm not sold yet) So I go to the consult and brief him on my history and goals and my interest in the Band....blah blah blah....and almost straight away he says......the band is not a good fit for you.....you'd be better off gettin the sleeve. Hmmmmm, that took the air outa my sails.....I really wanted the band. ---- OK, I'll think about it.

I did think about it....ALOT.....researched everything including the Surgeon, the Hospital, everything I could find about the Sleeve and you'll never guess.......he was right. It made better sense. It sounded radical....but after reading about so many successful outcomes, not really so bad. -( I found Bariatric Pal during this time as well which really helped me get informed the most)

I called and started the application for approval. ----- What.!!! six months, are you kidding me....talk about deflated....Oh well, I'll go along....( I probably will change my mind anyway and not get it) Zooooom.....fast forward six,,,seven...eight,,...nine months.

Even with a few insurance and tests gliches along the way....I can't believe it went that fast and I'm approved......

Ok,.....here's the big one.........I just got off the phone with the Doc's office and the surgery is scheduled..... in two weeks. Wait, wait, wait......I need MORE time. :o I'm gonna really do this.

Surgery day and I'm in my room recovering.....Damn....I'm still fat and now uncomfortable and haven't lost an ounce. This is gonna take forever.....Bariatric Pal is no help....all they keep sayin is "hang in there" or give it time....blah blah blah......Cmon, I had the surgery..... I should be losing tons already......I wanna see results........This is gonna take forever..... I don't want to think about a year from now.....I got on the scale today four times and it didn't change an ounce. Oh well....might as well sit back and just go with the flow.....and see what happens...... Zoooooooom (yeah, believe it.....I said zooooom. A whole year, just that quick)

A HUNDRED &TWENTY POUNDS gone forever and I look and feel fantastic. :D And I'm headed to the Seminar.....I mean the support group....see, I still get those confused cause I can't believe it went by that fast. Yes, I said FAST. I actually have a hard time remembering the phases along the way.....they kinda blur together. Who cares, I'm here, I'm skinny and you will be too. And you'll think the whole thing happened in a flash.

Long story.....short point.......Don't fret the wait.....Like most things in life, time flys. ;)

Edited by Recycled

Time really does fly. It seemed like it dragged on forever those first several weeks, when I was in pain and uncomfortable and worried I'd never feel "normal" again. But now I'm coming up on 5 months post-op! How did that happen? My weight loss has been slow... only 38 pounds post-op, but I really don't care. It's coming off. And all that urgency I felt leading up to my surgery and in the weeks that followed has completely disappeared. Now I'm just living my life and the weight just continues to drop off at it's own pace. It's nothing like in the past when I dieted and all I did was obsess about my weight and every bite of food I ingested and ever calorie I burned. I don't even wear my HRM when I exercise anymore! Who cares about exactly how many calories I burn on the treadmill? I do the exercise I need to keep me healthy and fit and happy. The numbers are completely meaningless to me now! Weight loss is no longer a constant math equation for me. It's so freeing!

I decided I definately wanted surgery then went to seminar. Now I'm just starting the six month diet/exercise program. I've done so much homework on this and I'm a bit obscessed with peoples success stories. I hope I can lose some weight the mandatory diet and know I will be a success story with a little bit of time. I'm sick of the real me hiding inside of this fat suit. I want out! But I guess good things come to those who wait. Thanks recycled for the perspective. I hope zoom too;)

I decided I definately wanted surgery then went to seminar. Now I'm just starting the six month diet/exercise program. I've done so much homework on this and I'm a bit obscessed with peoples success stories. I hope I can lose some weight the mandatory diet and know I will be a success story with a little bit of time. I'm sick of the real me hiding inside of this fat suit. I want out! But I guess good things come to those who wait. Thanks recycled for the perspective. I hope zoom too;)

Haleyk,

Ya know, I was obsessed too in the before stage.....maybe i was just trying to find enough info to get serious about it......cause I really didn't seem to be...... I didn't lose a single pound on the six month deal. In fact, I ate more......kinda like a ritual farewell to foods I thought I'd be giving up....(not really, I just liked eating them). You certainly wake up and take it serious after the surgery.(I know, a no brainer) And that is when the thrill of coming out of the shadows and feeling good about yourself will start to appear. You will feel the change first and then see it and each day after the next will be better.

Good Luck. ;)

Edited by Recycled

@@Recycled this is music to my ears! I am in the 6 month pre op now and going to my first meeting tonight. Perfect timing on your post! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have my first consult scheduled for next week. My insurance requires a 6 month supervised diet ... So I'm still have some hurdles to go through but I'm looking forward to the journey!!! Congrats on your weight loss 120 pounds is amazing.

Very well said!!! Thanks for helping others with the waiting game!

I loved your post, Recycled. I went through the same thought process about wanting the band. Then I saw the results with my friends who had the sleeve, and they are good.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

My next step is meeting with my PCP for referral approval. February 9 I get EKG, EDG and chest X-ray. Hopefully will meet with surgeon that week and schedule surgery. Depends on how quick insurance approves. But could have surgery 2/23.

This is a fantastic thing to read, I am really having trouble with the waiting thing and needing to wait until late October, thank you for sharing your story

So inspiring @@Recycled I love your and all others who got their surgery done. You guys are a true inspiration and the light at the end of this long dark tunnel we all have been walking through! Thank you!!

Thanks recycled my surgery is in about three weeks and I was getting a lil' nervous. This helped. :)

Thanks recycled my surgery is in about three weeks and I was getting a lil' nervous. This helped. :)