Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, after being banded for almost 4 years I am ready to try to get pregnant. I just have so many questions about doing so while being banded. My main concern is about having issues with my port. Sometimes it is sensitive and painful. Frequently it flips as well which causes discomfort when my surgeon pokes around to do an adjustment. I'm Worried that as my belly gets bigger I will experience some issues with this. I have read that some people do experience this during pregnancy. I also read that some people have issues with eating. What happens if I have really bad morning sickness and this causes band slippage or other issues? Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me? I saw that someone had surgery while pregnant how does that work and is safe? I would appreciate any info on banded pregnancy experiences. Thanks!!

Anyone??

Wish I could help but I think your surgeon or obgyn will be a better source. I can be done with success.

I will definitely consult them both. It's just helpful to hear if anyone has had a personal experience with this situation.

I have a friend and sister in law who have had 2 pregnancies each with a lap band.

How did they do during their pregnancies? Smooth sailing or any issues that came up?

I wasn't made aware of any issues, they just had all the saline taken out and ate normally. Both still have the band in place after several years.

Ok, that's pretty much what I was told by my surgeon when I went in to learn about the band before surgery. Guess I won't stress too much and hope for the best!

I got the band in 2010 only had it filled three times, had some problems with the dr never went back again I had a daughter in 2012 with no problems at all and I am pregnant with my second daughter and just started having pain around the port

Glad to see that your first pregnancy went well with no issues. As for you port pain now... Has your current doctor given any reason or advice on this?

Not really like I said I have no been to my lap band dr since it was put in basically, my ob said if the pain is worst we can do a sonogram on it but the pain comes and goes. It hasn't been to the point where I've been really concerned, you have to think as your stomach is growing bigger everything will push up some including your port, after my first I didnt have any pain after and did not have it filled since I am going to look into having it filled after this child tho.

I havent been to my lap band dr since it was put in basically, did bring it up to my ob and I was told if the pain became worst could do a sonogram of the port to look at placement but I just figured while being pregnant and your stomach gets bigger everything pushes up including the port so I havent been too concerned. I would like to find a new dr after this baby to start getting it filled it tho

I was banded in Sept 2013 and got pregnant July 2014. I wasn't sure about getting any saline taken out. My cousin took all her Fluid out for her 1st baby and gained 60lbs and so for the 2nd baby she kept all her fluid in and gained like 10lbs. I decided to keep all my fluid in (3cc in a 10cc band) and was doing well up until my 25th week or so. So now I am in my 29th week and have finally decided to take out at least 1cc. I go in tomorrow to do that. Main reason I am taking out is because I have not been able to eat well with all the tightness that I have been experiencing. I have gained about 3lbs since i have gotten pregnant. Usually by now that number would have been about 25, so I am happy for the minimal weight gain. I hope I don't gain too much after I get unfilled but am more worried about baby's weight gain than my own. I have 9 more weeks so I am sure it wont be too bad. I also want to get the unfill to make sure that I am staying hydrated and eating well for when I breastfeed. I will decide after baby comes when I will get more saline in to my belt. My doctor as has never been too concerned or worried about my minimal weight gain and that has been the main reason for not taking out any fluid, but For now, I will do what my body says is right :)

My first baby I had no issues with pregnancy or labor and delivery and didn't have any problems with my port (but I never did in the past anyway). I had half of my Fluid out and gained 60 lbs... Just found out I'm pregnant again (huge surprise!) and I don't intend to get any Fluid out unless I have problems eating.

Good luck!