Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome to the Popular Diet Forum!

When I met with my nutritionist pre-op, she told me that I would basically be doing (should do) Atkins for the rest of my life because of its emphasis on high protein/low carb. I've never done Atkins before so that was a bit scary to hear!

Fast forward 3 months post-op and for the month of February, my sister and I have committed to doing Whole 30. It is stricter than paleo but it isn't meant to be forever - just a 30 day system reboot. I am doing this because you have to give up ALL sugar, in any form including sweetners. fruit is the exception but I am limiting my fruit intake as well since I do not want to encourage my sweet tooth. I am so tired of having a sugar addiction and I think if I am going to be successful long term then I need to be done with this. Today is only day 2, so of course I feel optimistic, but I really am excited to be doing this. I would love to know if anyone else has done this.

I don't consider myself on a diet, using the conventional definition of diet. I like to say I've changed my diet, i.e., what I take in.

That being said I stick to mostly healthy Proteins and plant-based foods that are mostly unprocessed.

I am at 8 mos and my honeymoon phase is over I think so I will reassess what I eat & do. I am losing inches because I am lifting weights so I am ok with the slow down on the scale.

The foods I eat are nuts, Beans, eggs, cold Water fish, some shellfish, chicken, beef, pork on a very rare occasion, lamb, turkey, venison, ostrich, buffalo, a wide spectrum of whole veggies, low carb tortillas, oranges, grapefruit, and just about any edible berry I can get. No apples, grapes, bananas as I can't stomach those very well...they cause a great deal of discomfort. I do eat oatmeal, margarine and sugar-free Peanut Butter and jams. No syrups--real or fake.

I rarely if ever eat bread. If I do it's a few bites of pizza. I don't have much of a desire for simple carbs and I intend to keep it that way.

I also eat dairy such as cheese but try to keep it low fat.

Definitely nothing deep fried. No Pasta or rice either. I eat sugar-free Jello.

That pretty much sums it up. Most definitely better than what I used to chow on.

Ditch the margarine and use real butter. It's a very healthy fat as long as your stomach tolerates it, and margarine is nothing but vegetable oils and chemicals, neither of which are healthy (with the exception of olive oil, but usually there are still lots of chemicals added) Even the ones which claim zero transfats - they are allowed to claim that if it's less than a certain percentage but it's not really 0.

also, lowfat cheese often has added stuff to improve taste which often add carbs. Try a full fat strong-flavored cheese and you can use less.

Non issues for me as I read labels and look out for additives.

As far as butter goes, this sounds weird but I don't dig the taste of real butter, at all. So Smart Balance is what I use either way, too much margarine is as bad as too much butter so I limit that.

Any one have success with calorie cycling? Id love to hear your experience with it.

I just keep my Protein at 60 grams or more my calories under 1200 and my carbs under 120 grams. I do eat some bread, but most of my carbs are from fruit and veg. I lose weight fairly slowly with this,but I am losing. This is also easy to do. I count my calories on my fitness pal. I also try to exercise 5times a week.

I have learned that it is best stop trying to "diet" (in the context of a prescribed regimen of foods to aide in weight loss) and to just change my diet (in the context of the types of foods one chooses to consume) for life. It is so restricting and confining to "diet". Rather, I choose to eat a vast variety of foods that are healthy and balanced, ranging between good carbs, good fats, Proteins, and foods that are in excess of minerals and Vitamins necessary for the body's overall health. I eat to sustain energy. I eat to build muscle. I eat to be healthy. I stopped limiting myself to these "diets" that are ONLY temporary fixes, that usually fail once one is off the "diet", and whom often lack a proper variety of foods that contain all the nutrients that ones' body needs. No...I stopped "dieting" soon after my surgery and chose to change my diet for the rest of my life!

Yes the infamous lifestyle change. Your eating habits should be second nature. It just means our new normal is making healthier food decisions.

I have been so ill since my gastric sleeve in February. I ended up with a chronic chest infection which went on for months. My diet has been dreadful because I never really looked at it. I took my last antibiotic last week and slowly building myself back up.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor told me I was a lightweight my start weight was 107k I am now 93kg and my goal weight is 70kg. I have not exercised since my op apart from a stroll now and again. I am need of support to keep my eye on my goal.

So now I don't know what to eat my diet is not great. I drink coconut Water because I find Water so difficult to swallow. I also only eat fish as I find meat very heavy. So I live on fruit yoghurt eggs and wafers. I am also suffering with dumping often but think this is related to the medication I have been on. As you see I need help on my diet.. I have always been hopeless at diets and never stick to them. Hence the gastric sleeve.

So now I don't know what to eat my diet is not great. I drink coconut Water because I find Water so difficult to swallow. I also only eat fish as I find meat very heavy. So I live on fruit yoghurt eggs and wafers. I am also suffering with dumping often but think this is related to the medication I have been on. As you see I need help on my diet.. I have always been hopeless at diets and never stick to them. Hence the gastric sleeve.

I am so sorry you are experiencing such difficulties.

I don't consider what I do a "diet" either.

Do you have a NUT?

Were you given a Protein target by your surgeon or NUT? That is important to know (mine is 100 grams a day).

Are you tracking your food?

The few times I experienced some sort of dumpling seemed to be related to high fat foods. One in particular was a Gorton grilled fish that had a really oily sauce.

I focus on Protein and fluids and avoid starches, added sugars, and fried foods for the most part.

I try to eat healthy, whole foods as much as possible.

Hello! Have anyone tried the Keto diet? I am curious but scared to re gain even more weight...I am depressed and ashamed of myself again....affecting my social life as I don't want people to see me...

any guidance will be highly appreciated!

Shouldn't it be Live-It instead of Diet? Maybe I'm being narrower in my outlook, but I think Eternal Vigilence against Devious Snackland is in order. I want to do Well, but like an Alcoholic with alcohol I'm going to have to be careful these bad things don't sneak into my life again. 😣