Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your goal? And what are you doing to get yourself there?

Ok...so hopefully I don't upset anyone with this.

I know we all gain/lose at our own rate. And healthy is what we all want to be!

but what are realistic goals?

I feel like I need something to work towards...but would I be setting myself up for failure if I put a number on how much I wanted to lose each month?

And does anyone out there use shakeology or thrive? And do we need it? Or is the band along with our lifestyle change enough?

I feel like the band is an excellent tool...I just don't know if I should be doing anything else in conjunction with it....besides eating less and moving more.

I'm going to discuss this with my dr. When we meet the first week of Feb. but wanted to see what others are doing...

What are your goals...and how are you getting there?

Aw...no one has tried anything else in conjunction with their wls? I am not a seller of any of the above items so im not trying to sell anything...lol. i got invited to a workout/supporr group through shakeology....and was curious if their is any real benifit for those of us who have had wls.everyone i know is trying to sell this stuff..i just am in the fence since there are so many gimmics out there!..im gonna aim for 10lbs a month....sounds totally do-able.....

10lbs a month is optimistic unless you are starting from a very high weight or are male. If you are both, go for it, if you aren't, remember the average loss for banded people is 1-2lbs a week, so less than 10lbs a month. Averages hide the extremes. So even a fast loser might lose 4lbs one month and 12 the next.

For me, setting a goal at the highest end of the likely would lead to feelings of failure. In fact, I chose never to set short term goals and my ultimate goal didn't have a deadline. But I know many oeople prefer goals.

@@KateP my starting was 250....which is high for me. I dont know what everyone else considers high :/ and no im female so...i like to have something to work towards and need a goal or i feel like i am failing :/

My ultimate goal has no dead line ...i just figured i will get there eventually...but maybe i shoukd cut it in half and make it a 5lb a month goal...thanks for the advice

@@funky_monkey800 Setting goals is key to any successful execution, so, yes, I think we should all have goals that we set and work towards. The key is to set realistic goals to avoid getting frustrated with ourselves . Some months you'll lose more than others that's just the cycle of our bodies, when the scale is moving slow or standing still, realize you're still losing, you're losing inches and honestly this is way more important than any number on the scale! So, maybe mix it up a little one month aim to lose x amount of lbs. for the next month to be down a pant or shirt size . The other important thing to do is to reward yourself along the way for each goal you meet, such as buying a new pair of pants, or getting your hair done, whatever is a treat for you that's non-food related. Another thing that really helps me is to recognize your daily accomplishments which is what helps you hit your long-term goals, like walking past the donuts at work (did that this morning), taking the stairs instead of the elevator, making a healthy substation in a recipe etc.

As far as the shakeology goes I didn't do anything other than follow my doctor's dietary instructions and listen to my band. With that said I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking a shake now then if you're in a pinch and unable to eat something healthy or to bump up your Protein if you're running short , but don't rely on them. In my opinion doing so defeats the purpose of the band. You're doing a fantastic job!!!!!!

I started at 412lbs my goal was 250 and my dr goal was 200 which i believed was a dream, well iv lost over 140lbs, the success is following the diet and exercise

Question....when people reach the goals they set for themselves.....then what do they do?

Get Fluid taken out of your band?

I say this only because it was stressed to me by my Dr. that setting goals was UN-realistic. Because in the beginning I was always asking him.

He would say this is surgery, not a diet. With surgery your lifestyle changes in terms of what and how much you can eat.

Living that new lifestyle, your body will reverse itself and return to a "Normal" state.

Ok I say, but what is normal? He asked me to think back to where I was not over weight...perhaps it was high school...that is probably where I would end up again, providing nothing goes wrong with my band.

And this new lifestyle, because it is due to surgery, cannot be turned on or off...it will remain for the rest of your life.

That is how I approach it....and yes, my body did return to where it was in High School...over 40 years ago!

For me, setting a goal was difficult. I had been overweight from high school thru my entire adult life up to that point, so I didn't know or remember what it was like to be a 'normal' weight. My dr wanted me to have a goal set, and I pulled 170lbs out of nowhere as the weight I wanted to be. She didn't feel that was realistic for me, and wanted me to choose something more doable (looking back, I don't know why she doubted me). I had no clue what number to pick, so instead of setting a goal weight/end date, I set my 'goal' to simply get down to the next lb from where I was. Everytime I lost a pound, my goal was to reach the next pound down, until I got to where my body just settled and I was maintaining. It took me just over a year to get there. I had no set date, no set number, I just kept strict to the rules of my band, and let my body do the rest. I recorded (and celebrated) every ounce I lost as motivation. It worked, and I'm maintaining 30lbs less than the weight my dr told me wasn't realistic :)

I really think it's important to find what's doable for you. It may take a little bit of time to figure out what that is. Maybe set a goal range for each month? Instead of a strict 5lbs, tell yourself 2-5lbs? That takes some of the pressure off. Also, remember to focus on all those nonscale things that come along with this journey! There were many times my weight didn't move, but my clothes felt a bit more loose, or I'd get a compliment about my weightloss.

Also, I don't use shakeology, or anything like that.

I like smaller goals. I was a 3x. Fitting back into 2x was great. Now working towards 1x. XL would be a Dream come true. I have a large bone structure. I would be a skinny size 16

Binge Eating Disorder and LapBand: I met with a surgeon and am now going through the 6 month period of required by Medicare. Although I prefer the lap band, I am open to what will work best for me. My question is: has anyone had success with the lap band when they have had binge eating disorder? How does eliminating hunger work when so much of my eating is repeated trips to the frig without hunger, an obsessive type of eating? Thanks, candy

Binge Eating Disorder and LapBand: I met with a surgeon and am now going through the 6 month period of required by Medicare. Although I prefer the lap band, I am open to what will work best for me. My question is: has anyone had success with the lap band when they have had binge eating disorder? How does eliminating hunger work when so much of my eating is repeated trips to the frig without hunger, an obsessive type of eating? Thanks, candy

I wondered the same thing. I binged, I grazed, I ate enormous quantities at meal times. And as the band shouid never physically stop you eating, I also thought it might not help me.

But it did! Dramatically. The first thing is, you have to eat more slowly. Most big eaters shovel food in very fast, chewed as little as possible. So your brain does not have time to catch up. So you can eat until you feel ill!

The second thing is learned behaviour. You learn to listen to your body. I have just eaten dinner. It wasn't a balanced meal because I was using up leftovers, but to give you an idea of volume- I just ate half a small baked potato - about 2oz (I just weighed a same size one in order to write this), two tablespoons of chopped cabbage and three tablespoons of left over casserole (Small cubes of beef and chopped veggies).

And I feel totally satisfied. I could eat more, but I have no desire to, some days, my mental "pushing" might make me feel like just carrying on, but so walk away from the table and do something, anything to occupy me.

The thing is, if we don't feel hunger and keep busy, we don't think of food!

@@csg

WLS does not operate on our brains. None of them do. Head hunger is real and doesn't go away. Binge eating disorder, whether diagnosed or not (as in my case, but let's face it, I binged daily for decades) is about using food to comfort/entertain/numb/get high/all of the above. Until we find a different, healthy REPLACEMENT for food to do those things for us, you bet your sweet bippy we will return to the food.

Don't take my word for it. These boards are filled with WLS unhappy endings from LapBand, sleeve and RNY patients who found a way around the physical limitations of their WLS and gained their weight back. I'm not accusing. I've read the confessionals here. And for every "help me I want to start again" confessional, there are probably twice as many who just dropped off the boards, never to be heard from again.

I go to OA and CODA to work on the issues that led me to overeat in the first place. Because not only do I not want to fail at WLS and return to overeating, I don't want to replace my food addiction with alcohol or pain pills. And without working on my head, guess where I'd be next?

Edited by JustWatchMe

Dear JustWatchMe,

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss and on doing it inspite of binge eating disorder. I have struggled to address the emotional issues you mention for many years, in OA and in cognitive therapy. I am still working on it. Your reply is encouraging as is your wonderful success story.

Best, candy

Dear KateP,

Wow. Congratulations on your loss and on maintaining it for 8 years! Your response is encouraging. I heard one weight loss surgeon who had the band himself talk about how not being hungry makes a big difference. I’m nervous but hopeful. Thanks, candy

@@enjoythetime, I agree...and great advice! I am the type of person who needs something to work towards. I can't just have this lap band and think....so now what. I need a step by step goal..

@@B-52 maybe once goals are met new goals would be set....like maintaining a healthy weight would be a goal or finally run a marathon. ;) I don't think I would mess with the Fluid or anything in the band. I would like to think once the sweet spot is found, it would stay there...I have read articles where people have not had any type of adjustment for many years.. So different lifestyle changes could be a goal?

@@MandaMom23, lb by lb is also a great way to go. I only have my start date. I didn't set a time limit for my weight loss. And I agree, strict rules aren't the way to go...I definitely need realistic goals ;)

@@MarieMarie, smaller goals sounds good. ;)