Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your losing too much weight, you look sick

Yes I'm at the point where people are telling me this. It's been just over a year since I had my surgery. I went from a size 18 to a 8. I feel good. I think I look good. But you can Definitly see the weight loss in my face. Ive met my goal and I really don't want to lose any more. Just maintain. But sure enough, I am steadily losing. People are starting to give me strange looks.. My husband is the only one who knows I had the surgery. I don't want to look sick, but I literally can't stop losing. This was one of my fears before I had the surgery.

Hmm, how tall are you? Have you spoken with your doctor? Perhaps you can add in another meal during the day to up your calories and stop the weight loss?

@@Cara 24 I'm 5'9. For me a size 8 is perfect but anything less looks really skinny. I still like curves. And yes I've made an appt with my dr., he couldn't get me in till. February.

I think part of the issue is that I'm losing muscle. I don't exercise. I don't really watch my Protein intake either. I just eat when I'm hungry which is not much.

Edited by CarolinaCutie

Here is your answer, "thank you for your concern, my doctor has it covered." Then change the subject.

Lol @@sharon I like that, thanks!

Lol well my sister told me today don't get too skinny :unsure: now is this the same girl who told me i had a big tummy LOL yes it is…am almast two months out and a wearing a size 10…i bet thats what scare her am getting smaller in size than she's….oh well we know the struggles and pain so i can't wait to hit a size 8 LOL

One thing I've noticed is that as people are losing, they get kind of that melted/hollowed out look... especially in their faces, but once their weight stabilizes, their faces fill back out again or their skin shrinks down or whatever and they don't have that "sick" look anymore. Maybe that's the case for you right now, since you are still steadily losing.

@@JamieLogical, I sure hope that's the case with me. My face looks very much hollowed out right now:(

I think those responses are great. Perhaps up your Protein intake with just one shake a day? Or get the unflavored and add it to something you normally eat?

Hope the doctor has some answers for you!

M best friend has told me I look sick and to stop losing weight of I'm going to disappear. I'll chalk it up to he's jealous. :)

Yes I'm at the point where people are telling me this. It's been just over a year since I had my surgery. I went from a size 18 to a 8. I feel good. I think I look good. But you can Definitly see the weight loss in my face. Ive met my goal and I really don't want to lose any more. Just maintain. But sure enough, I am steadily losing. People are starting to give me strange looks.. My husband is the only one who knows I had the surgery. I don't want to look sick, but I literally can't stop losing. This was one of my fears before I had the surgery.

We are in the exact same boat. I'm 5'5" I'm 155lbs now. A few people have asked me that question (are you sick? Is everything ok?), people have literally said, "Ok, stop loosing". I'm a size 8/10 depending on the clothes.

My doctor told me with my height and body frame (and BMI) I can stop loosing weight and just maintain if I want, but I want wiggle room. I was told to start incorporating whole grains, and increase calories. I don't want to start eating carbs or increase calories just yet. I am increasing my workout to try and tone up....hoping I will look toned instead of "sick". I would have never in a million years have thought that I couldn't stop loosing weight haha, but I'll take it!!!!!

For shits and giggles maybe I'll just say I'm slowly dying

Unfortunately, everyone has an opinion about weight, and more unfortunately, some people feel free to comment. This might be out of nosiness or out of general concern. I would just smile and answer, "no, I'm fine and I feel great" and change the subject.

So many great responses here. Most people know I had the surgery, which allows me a bit more clarification. So I say in a friendly manner, "I really appreciate your concern, but I'm seeing a nutritionist, surgeon, PCP, and bariatric psychologist, so I'm being well-cared for."

Nobody has been outright rude yet, though several people immediately told me how they "know someone" who lost it all with surgery but gained it all back. Ah, well. That's a fear of mine too and keeps me honest with my eating. :)

... but I literally can't stop losing. This was one of my fears before I had the surgery.

@@Cara

I think part of the issue is that I'm losing muscle. I don't exercise. I don't really watch my Protein intake either. I just eat when I'm hungry which is not much.

I don't think you need to see your doctor to figure out what the problem is. ;)

As for the rude commentary? You answer should be a simple "Thanks for your concern!" and change the subject. If they continue to chatter about it, "I'm dreadfully bored talking about my weight, let's talk about YOURS!" with a smile.