Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, please! Premier Protein shakes taste awful to me.. Need recommendations!

I bought two cases and I can barely choke them down. I'm still pre-op and trying to find a good RTD Protein shake. Premier Protein seems to be most people's favorite and the nutrition stats are tough to beat.. But I can't stand them. I don't like the fake sweet taste.

If you also don't like Premier Protein shakes, but have found a RTD shake you do like, please share!

I like making my own Protein Shakes with Syntrax, but I know that I'll need some good RTD shakes for post-op. Any advice would be so much appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the Premier Protein shakes. I love them and have started my day off with one since I had my Mini Gastric Bypass in Tijuana April 23rd, 2014 and that was 127 lbs ago.

I find the chocolate shakes to be a bit too "chocolatey" for me so I Water them down with about 4 oz of skim milk or plain old Water. They are much more like chocolate milk then. Try adding flavouring to them like cinnamon or vanilla.

I get board with plain chocolate and vanilla so I add flavors to them. Maybe if you tried that you would like them more. My Nut said that it was okay to add a couple drops of extract to it and I also was given the suggestion to put sugar free orange Jello powder in the vanilla one to make it taste like a creamcicle.

Premier is the only one I use now. I'm praying I will still like them post op but making them different flavors is working very well for me.

Oh Yeah vanilla creme from iss research

Atkins premade shakes

Ensure high Protein powder

I can't stand premier, I think it is way to thick for me. Grosses me out.

The oh yeah Protein powder you can get on vitaminshoppe.com and the vanilla creme taste like a melted mc donalds sundae.

The Ensure high Protein Powder is pretty good and you can find that at Walmart.< /p>

The Atkins has good taste and is not so thick. You can get at walmart or sams club

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think that these taste better/different from Premier?

(Man, I so wish I liked Premier!)

Edited by Pac-woman

Pulled out my hand book for this. My nutritionist said to make sure that any Protein drink I purchased used isolates not concentrates, contained at least 20gm Protein per 8 ounce serving, 15gms or less sugar and 3 gms or less fat. So armed with this info, a magnifying glass and this 2 page list of recommended Proteins I went in search of a drink that met these requirements and didn't trigger my food allergies.

I bought single serving packs from drug stores like CVS and Walgreen, markets like Whole Foods and GNC/Vitamin shop. I spent a good week reading labels and testing things out. I ended up with CVS whey Protein Powder, Orgain Organics RTD and Prosource liquid Proteins.

I think only purchased a 2 week supply before going in for surgery because I had heard that your tastebuds could change after surgery. So here's my list. I hope this helps.

protein drink 2

Edited by BLERDgirl

A lot of people like the GNC Total Lean shakes and EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control, as well as Pure Protein Shakes. I think Pure Protein's numbers are not that far off from Premier Protein.< /p>

Another possibility is Isopure RTD. I found them absolutely vile and had to cut them 50/50 with Water, Powerade Zero, or G2 to choke them down -- but the numbers are really good and some people do love them.

Even if you find something you like before surgery, wait until you taste it after to buy in bulk. Your tastes may change and what you loved before, you may hate after. Good luck!

I also couldn't stand the premier Protein. I do the the GNC Lean shakes. The vanilla is ok, the strawberry is my favorite, and the chocolate is best when blended with a banana!

Oooh sorry to hear, I LOVE Premier. Good Luck.

I too am experimenting pre-surgery. I LOVE powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury... both chocolates, the strawberry and vanilla. They have a great sampler pack, where you can try first. Good luck !!

The GNC Go Lean RTD shakes are good. I like the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ones. You can add PB2 to the vanilla or chocolate ones too!

As far as powders go, Jay Robb is my favorite. They taste good and have no artificial anything in them. (I am trying to get away from all artificial sweeteners.) They are sweetened with stevia.

I don't like the Premier Protein Vanilla either but I use it. Try adding a tablespoon of instant Decaf coffee granules and a splash of sugar free hazelnut Syrup. Tastes great!

GNC Lean ready to drink in strawberry are very good. Also lactose free.

I did not care for the chocolate flavor.

The one that I drink usually once daily is the Atkins Advantage either Cafe Caramel or Mocha Latte flavors. I also like Chike coffe flavor (but it is a mix) and BariWise Protein hot chocolate (though it is a mix as well).