Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More hungry around period?

Does anyone find their hunger increases around their period? I usually don't get hungry too much. Only if I go too long without eating anything. Well, right before and during my period I find myself getting hungry all the time. Is this normal?

I've always had this problem. I get hungry every day of my period. When I was dieting, I would allow myself to eat what I wanted and skip exercise during my period days. Since surgery, I no longer do that. In fact, I'm extra careful on those days to not go over my calorie limit and go on long hikes.

This definitely happens to me. Now that I'm far enough out to experience hunger, I had a really hard time before my period limiting snacking. I never went off program, but I found myself eating more frequently and wanting carb ish foods.

Glad it's not just me! I broke 1,000 calories for first time since surgery 3.5 months ago. I have been exercising a lot more though.

Yes! I can definitely tell a difference in my appetite that time of the month.

I am experiencing this right now - feeling like a relative vacuum cleaner, but obviously not able to do the damage I used to do in the past. I do allow myself just a bit of chocolate at the end of the day during my cycle, and I know in a few days it will all be back to normal. Dang hormones!

I am experiencing this right now and was looking for answers. I even have more space for food during my period. But after its gone its back to normal. I actually have lost more weight that what I was supposed to because I found out I had Hashimoto’s after my surgery and have been treating it so I do allow myself to eat what I want during these days and I see no change in weight. I hope it doesn’t bite my a** later. 😩

I can completely relate and I'm glad I am not alone. I was also thinking that the further out I am from surgery, the more PMS/normalized pre-menstrual symptoms I have. I have been on Yaz for over 6 years (started it 3 years after my RNY) and for the first few years, I did not notice the intense PMS symptoms. Now, the week before my period, I just don't feel near the restriction as I do the rest of the month. I spoke with a friend who had her RNY in 2017 and she also said she can eat and eat the week before her period. I don't know if there are any studies or research to back this up, but I would swear to it that my food capacity increases before my period and then goes back to normal the other three weeks of the month.

Although I haven't had a period for over a decade. There are 3 to 4 days that I have increased cravings and hunger, exactly like I did when I did have periods. The body is an interesting thing.

Same here! Am actually smack dab in the middle of those right now, and I just eat until satisfied as always. It just happens to be more than during the other three weeks, I’d say it’s a 25% increase. Hasn’t affected my weight loss goals in the slightest thank goodness!

I haven’t really noticed the correlation but I do have times that I am more hungry than others. It’s possible it’s around that time and I just hadn’t noticed. I do know that I only crave chocolate during that time but that’s nothing new for me.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:41 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I haven’t really noticed the correlation but I do have times that I am more hungry than others. It’s possible it’s around that time and I just hadn’t noticed. I do know that I only crave chocolate during that time but that’s nothing new for me.

Some cycles I have no food differences, but some (like this one lol tmi) it comes with lots of cravings as hormones fluctuate. Often it’s sweet and junk foody cravings.. (been resisting but hard!) Also been wanting more volume, but been adding extra veg to satisfy that.

Always. For a day or two before my period I’d intensely crave carbs. Would be a bottomless pit for them. Interestingly, even in menopause I still have those odd symptoms that used to signal my period was coming (fluid retention, Constipation then diarrhoea & carb craving). So you’re not alone in that @Tomo as weird as it is. Fortunately the carb craving is pretty non existent now but the first head hunger I experienced after surgery, after my first year, I realised was my old period carb craving. Recognising it for what it is is always the first step in managing it.

58 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Always. For a day or two before my period I’d intensely crave carbs. Would be a bottomless pit for them. Interestingly, even in menopause I still have those odd symptoms that used to signal my period was coming (fluid retention, constipation then diarrhoea & carb craving). So you’re not alone in that @Tomo as weird as it is. Fortunately the carb craving is pretty non existent now but the first head hunger I experienced after surgery, after my first year, I realised was my old period carb craving. Recognising it for what it is is always the first step in managing it.

Thank you. thank you! All these years, I have often thought "Am I crazy? Is it only me? Why do I have those same type of days every month like before?" And Yes, yes, once I recognized them, I am always aware of it and it definitely helps manage it.