Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's with all the "diet" food?

I love this thread. I will be a band to sleeve conversion in three weeks (totally successful with the band but gained due to a slippage) I am a great advocate of natural healthy food, Portion Control is my issue. After my conversion I hope to carry on with real food, but I do understand the need for added Protein powders n the beginning if necessary.

@@Carriejess - I see you're in the UK. I just bought Isopure natural whey unflavored yesterday. It's simply whey isolate and nothing else. I tried it with diluted juice yesterday and added it to my coffee this morning. So far I am really pleased! I cannot taste the difference. I would recommend this to anyone looking to follow a clean bariatric diet.

Stats are 110 cal, 26 gms Protein 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sugar.

I did a quick check and it appears that Amazon UK sells this.

3 years out and you would be amazed - yes you can gain weight eating only a cup of food at a time. It seems incomprehensible in the early stages

I don't eat "diet food" but i do generally follow a carb controlled plan because carbs make me ravenously hungry. That means I skip bread, rice, Pasta, pizza, potatoes etc., limit fruits.... so i mostly eat Protein and veggies.

I completely ignore the recommendations from my fitness pal etc because I have come to understand how my body responds to a way of eating - and moderate to low carb is what I NEED to do in order to have a chance at controlling hunger. (I am maintaining about 160# weight loss)

@@Carriejess - I see you're in the UK. I just bought Isopure natural whey unflavored yesterday. It's simply whey isolate and nothing else. I tried it with diluted juice yesterday and added it to my coffee this morning. So far I am really pleased! I cannot taste the difference. I would recommend this to anyone looking to follow a clean bariatric diet.

Stats are 110 cal, 26 gms Protein 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sugar.

I did a quick check and it appears that Amazon UK sells this.

I just found Teras Whey (teraswhey.com), GRASS FED Organic Whey Protein unsweetened unflavored. Doesn't say anything about mixing in hot foods like Soup though. The Isopure says it does, has anyone actually tried this?

Blerdgirl- id did not mention you or your name, but there are people on these forums and posts that tell people specifically to ignore what they have been told by their nutritionists and doctors and it is dangerous and negligent.

People assume that what works for them is the be all end all of what MUST be best for all. When it is absolutely not true.

I actually discussed this very thread with my nutritionist about 4 hours ago, and her answer was perfect in my opinion. She said if someone came to me in her position and said they wanted to use organic, whole and natural foods, "I would work with them to come up with a plan they and I are happy with to maximize their weight loss and maximize their food goals."

That's the kind of answer that should have ben given to this person who started this thread. as in. Ask your team to help you meet your needs with the food choices you are trying to make.

Why is that so hard for anyone to do.

Yes some people have had nutritionists they don't like, don't agree with etc. But that doesn't mean anyone has the right to hijack someone else's journey. Think of it like this, I am sure you have seen or met people telling you horror stories about WLS, we didn't listen to the and went on our own path, well let people do that as well. You want to share information, SURE! its great, but remember that it is information for you. Many have reminded me that it is necessary to write that advice you have is based on what works for you, it is your opinion only!

I've often been told on here that I act like a know it all, well here's a truth people don't like to believe. Having bariatric surgery does not make a person an expert in nutrition, bariatric surgery or anything related to it.

here's a question why do you say "clean bariatric diet" are the rest of us dirty?

Wanting to follow this post...I eat chemical free now and would like to continue that after surgery. Is that possible?

It is just a generic way of explaining that you try to keep your diet free of foods that contain lots of chemicals or processing not a way to describe others as 'dirty'

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading about everyone's food choices. I like the idea of clean eating and will continue to do research to A)have a better understanding what constitutes clean eating, B) develop a plan for myself c) make better food choices in general for me & my family. Now's a good time to work on figuring this out since my tummy is brand spanking new :)

Among other videos on this site, I watched this particular video (http://drmatthewweiner.com/lifelong-success-after-bariatric-surgery/) and it's totally changed how I decide what to eat now, even only 5 weeks post-op. The first two and half minutes are especially meaningful.

Now before I eat anything, I'm thinking "is this how I'm planning to eat long term?".

Having had WLS, we've been giving a clean slate. We get a do-over. How cool is that??? The first year when our normal cravings are obliterated, we can re-train our bodies and our minds to mirror that "ideal" lifestyle we wanted all along.

I just had a small bowl of homemade pea Soup with shredded ham hock, a dollop of (real) sour cream, and some pepitas (pumpkin seeds) sprinkled on top. Went down fine, and yes, this would be a healthy meal I'd eat long term.

Still supplementing in between with highly processed Protein supplements since I'm only 5 weeks post-op, but as I can eat more volume I'll be phasing those out.

I can live with this. Again, thanks everybody for your valuable input and helping me get to this point. I say we give it a rest now, eh?

I just found Teras whey (teraswhey.com), GRASS FED Organic Whey Protein unsweetened unflavored. Doesn't say anything about mixing in hot foods like Soup though. The Isopure says it does, has anyone actually tried this?

I tried it this morning in a cup of coffee. I could not taste the difference. The Isopure blended completely with no chalky or gritty taste/feel. I have a few more things I want to test it in, but overall I am pleasantly surprised with the Isopure unflavored.

Blerdgirl- id did not mention you or your name, but there are people on these forums and posts that tell people specifically to ignore what they have been told by their nutritionists and doctors and it is dangerous and negligent.

People assume that what works for them is the be all end all of what MUST be best for all. When it is absolutely not true.

I actually discussed this very thread with my nutritionist about 4 hours ago, and her answer was perfect in my opinion. She said if someone came to me in her position and said they wanted to use organic, whole and natural foods, "I would work with them to come up with a plan they and I are happy with to maximize their weight loss and maximize their food goals."

That's the kind of answer that should have ben given to this person who started this thread. as in. Ask your team to help you meet your needs with the food choices you are trying to make.

Why is that so hard for anyone to do.

Yes some people have had nutritionists they don't like, don't agree with etc. But that doesn't mean anyone has the right to hijack someone else's journey. Think of it like this, I am sure you have seen or met people telling you horror stories about WLS, we didn't listen to the and went on our own path, well let people do that as well. You want to share information, SURE! its great, but remember that it is information for you. Many have reminded me that it is necessary to write that advice you have is based on what works for you, it is your opinion only!

I've often been told on here that I act like a know it all, well here's a truth people don't like to believe. Having bariatric surgery does not make a person an expert in nutrition, bariatric surgery or anything related to it.

Perhaps I overlooked it, but in this particular thread I don't believe anyone has suggested they ignore the nutritionist. I've seen suggestions on how to work with the current nutritionist or request another if the OP doesn't feel the one she is working with is meeting her needs.

Additionally no one is proclaiming to be a expert in nutrition, particularly on this thread. What I do see happening is a discussion on alternatives diets.

Wanting to follow this post...I eat chemical free now and would like to continue that after surgery. Is that possible?

Yes it is.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@Stevehud

​Please note the following post I have made in this thread.
BLERDgirl, on 17 Jan 2015 - 22:00, said:

I don't eat ANY diet foods. The closest I come is eating 0% greek yogurt. I also don't eat any artificial sugars or food dyes. Today I actually had butter! Not a lot and it's not something I eat daily, but yes I eat real butter.

You don't have to eat those things. You just to do a little research and learn enough about carbs/proteins/fats/etc...

I am vegetarian. The only dairy I get is greek yogurt and cheese if I eat an egg. I drink almond milk and other plant based Proteins. Early on I used whey Protein for my Protein shakes.

You have to work it out with your nutritionist. It was one of my main concerns when I looked into WLS. I am happy to have a nutritionist who worked with me.

@@Karenlrn - Choose a Protein powder that uses soy isolates instead of milk or whey. Drink unsweetened almond, rice, cashew, soy, hemp or coconut milk instead. So Delicious makes a non dairy yogurt, so does Rice Dreams or Almond Breeze (I forget which one). These are the kinds of discussions to have with your nutritionist. They will offer suggestions if you make them aware.

I wonder if people have difficulties working things out with their nutritionist. I have to admit, my first meeting with the nutritionist wasn't complete smooth sailing however. We had a minor quibble over truvia. (she called it stevia and I explained to her it isn't 100%stevia). Once she saw that I had done my homework by researching what I could use, and that I was putting in the work in terms of food logging and exercise, she loosened up.

That's why you have to know your facts and know what's right for you. Don't worry about what others are doing.

I agree with @@Kindle and @@fawnb71 - Make your nutritionist work with you. I walked in informing them that I was vegetarian and that I didn't do fake sugars. Once they saw I was serious it was no longer an issue.

@@LipstickLady - was that one of those mudder races?

Edited by BLERDgirl