Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's with all the "diet" food?

("Since starting this program and especially post surgery, I'm told to eat a TON of dairy (which I don't tolerate well), and lots of chemical laden sugar free fake foods like the Protein shakes and jellos and puddings and Protein Bars, etc."

I totally agree with you and I was wondering about all the diet sugar free fake foods too. . . . . First of all, we all know now that using the diet sugars makes one crave for more sugar. Also, who wants to put these chemicals in

one's body ? When I had surgery(breast reduction) i was told to refrain from diet food chemicals. The reason

being that with surgery /anesthia you are receiving lots of chemicals so the idea was not to put more chemicals

in your body !!!

Also, the sugar free stuff usually has higher sodium in them. like the sugar free puddings. Plus , some sugar free stuff produces laxative effect. Also, since i am eating only a couple tablespoons at each meal why would I

want to limit my calories with sugar free stuff. A calorie equals energy and if i eat next to nothing already i will

have zero energy to do all the exercise the surgeon/staff wants you to do.

Great thread!

I try to eat clean and avoid a lot of chemical laden foods, my big one was banishing margarine from my life, lol, that was always a staple before, not anymore. Now I'm working on not only not having any fake sweeteners but not needing anything to be sweetened period. And I cook all my families meals cleaner now too, they eat what I eat usually, they're getting healthier too :-)

I know it's hard to believe, but once I kicked processed foods, my cravings for sweet things changed. I still enjoy sweets, but I don't crave them. When I do use sweeteners I can use the real stuff and use less. I most often use raw, local honey. I also occasionally use organic sugar, and maple Syrup.< /p>

I know it's hard to believe, but once I kicked processed foods, my cravings for sweet things changed. I still enjoy sweets, but I don't crave them. When I do use sweeteners I can use the real stuff and use less. I most often use raw, local honey. I also occasionally use organic sugar, and maple Syrup.< /p>

I never thought I had a problem with the carb addiction thing. I've read so many posts on here about someone having just 1 or 2 Cookies or some bread and being thrown into a tailspin of cravings. I never got that because I have no problem eating just one. Well then I visited family for Christmas and spent the week splurging on all of my moms great homemade sweets as well as bread, potatoes and alcohol. Boy, did that trigger the cravings! I felt like crap, but still wanted more sweets. It was a relief to get back on plan when I returned home. Took about 3 days to detox, I felt so much better and my cravings for healthy stuff returned.

My head (that likes the crap food) has finally given in and admitted that my body knows best.

I want to follow this thread too. I wondered about all the emphasis on diet food when the amounts are so small. I had surgery 12/29/2014 so I'm still on pureed diet. My nut wants me to have a lot of milk and I wondered what lactose intolerant patients do.

I'm lactose intolerant AND mildly allergic to milk, soy and egg white. My NUT has been no help whatsover on alternatives; she didn't even tell me there's a difference between whey concentrate (has lactose) and why isolate (trace lactose). Found out about gelatein20 Protein Jello on this site which I can handle. Still eating some of these products just to get my Protein in since I'm only 4 weeks out and can't tolerate much else right now, but feel like crap. Probably overdosing on foods I used to be "mildly" allergic to.

I don't eat "diet" foods, nor am I "low carb". I am 4 months out, I've never stalled, and I'm 90lbs down. I eat whole, real foods. I eat my Protein first, but I do enjoy small amounts of *gasp* rice, bread, and Pasta. Eating Thai food tonight, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my 1/2 cup of grub. There is no point to diet food...especially when at the early stages we struggle to get ENOUGH calories to not go into starvation mode (weight loss stalls, Hair loss, etc). Add to that the unnatural chemicals, preservatives, and artificial sweeteners that can't be good for you. Maybe farther down the road when I am able to eat more volume it might matter, but right now I enjoy being able to eat normally, for the first time in my life!

were you able to eat like this right away, or more recently since you're 4 months out? My loss has slowed way down for the last week or so and I'm only 4 weeks, so thinking I'm not getting enough calories on this crap anyway.

@@Karenlrn - Choose a Protein powder that uses soy isolates instead of milk or whey. Drink unsweetened almond, rice, cashew, soy, hemp or coconut milk instead. So Delicious makes a non dairy yogurt, so does Rice Dreams or Almond Breeze (I forget which one). These are the kinds of discussions to have with your nutritionist. They will offer suggestions if you make them aware.

@@Karenlrn - Choose a Protein Powder that uses soy isolates instead of milk or whey. Drink unsweetened almond, rice, cashew, soy, hemp or coconut milk instead. So Delicious makes a non dairy yogurt, so does Rice Dreams or Almond Breeze (I forget which one). These are the kinds of discussions to have with your nutritionist. They will offer suggestions if you make them aware.

unfortunately all the milk subs (and I can't tolerate soy) have FAR less Protein.< /p>

@lgrey- I am vegetarian and I have a zillion food allergies & multiple med allergies. Since my allergic reactions vary from severe hive to anaphylaxis, my nutritionist and I sat down and we discussed alternatives. In the end I went with whey isolates. Isolates are better than concentrates because it's a more potent form of Protein. I drink almond milk and yes it is a lower Protein source. Thankfully I can eat Greek yogurt made from milk. Of the non dairy milks I believe hemp milk has the highest amount of protein. It's not very high, but when you are working around allergies and intolerances every little bit helps.

Since you have an intolerance I would do whey isolate combined with an non dairy milk to lesson the impact on your system. I also supported my protein needs with Beans and almond butter. A tbsp of almond butter in my Protein shake in the morning, blended smooth. Black Beans are lower in carbs so I use a lot of them. In my all liquid stage I pureed them and made them into Soups. I also added chopped spinach which is a plant based protein source and also has lots of Iron. I also used Prosource No Carb Liquid Protein during the 2 week all liquid phase. I was given this in the hospital. It's protein sources are collagen Hydrolysate and Whey Protein Isolate so it's not strictly a vegetarian product but it helped get me through those 2 weeks.

Orgain organics has a high Protein Drink that has a good amount of protein in it. I used the regular Protein Drink because the high protein has stevia in it which I am allergic to. (FYI -The regular uses sucralose which I can tolerate.)

Here is a list of protein sources. Like I said, it took being really creative. I literally spent a week going to going to Whole Foods, drug stores and Vitamins stores reading labels and buying samples. I am 4 mths in and 55lbs down. I still manage to eat a mostly clean vegetarian diet with no artificial sugars or food dyes. I use Myfitnesspal to monitor my carb intake, drink my Water and workout 4 -5 days a week. I average about 800 calories a day.

protein

Edited by BLERDgirl

Love this thread! I'm with you all. I don't eat diet food either. I eat foods that are yummy and enjoyable. I think that's critical to my long-term success. I do track my foods and make sure to meet Protein goals, keep carbs low, and avoid too many sweets. But yes to healthy fats! Veggies sautéed with olive oil and garlic, fatty delicious salmon, etc. One of my faves, especially after a workout is rotisserie chicken - and yes I eat the skin!

Also - while I track my eating, I don't deny myself a little extra if I'm hungry. I want to maintain a healthy relationship with food, and for me that means not depriving myself.

For those of you who don't want to eat "chemicals" and who favor "clean eating" .... what's stopping you?

Just figure out how you will meet the daily Protein level requirements and go for it.

For those of you who don't want to eat "chemicals" and who favor "clean eating" .... what's stopping you?

Just figure out how you will meet the daily Protein level requirements and go for it.

Well I kind of wanted to hear from vets their reasonings and/or motivations regarding what they choose to eat or not choose to eat. Now that I've hit reset, now's a good time to learn from others about food choices particularly how their choices affect their weight loss and/or general health...whether the choices are chemicals vs. clean eating.

Oh.

Never mind.

Emily Litella

I wonder if people have difficulties working things out with their nutritionist. I have to admit, my first meeting with the nutritionist wasn't complete smooth sailing however. We had a minor quibble over truvia. (she called it stevia and I explained to her it isn't 100%stevia). Once she saw that I had done my homework by researching what I could use, and that I was putting in the work in terms of food logging and exercise, she loosened up.

I have to drink lactaid too. I flavor it with a little Hershey's dark chocolate Syrup. Tastes pretty good. My Aunt just told me to use organic milk. Next time i go shopping i will look for

lactaid free organic milk.

These liquids go down good and taste good: chocolate flavored lactaid free milk, warm Water flavored with ice tea, warm Water flavored with any kind of juice. coffee or any Hot drinks, hot choc, tea go down good.

Cold liquids don't go down so well. Especially cold water, Yikes !!!