Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those that had surgery with pre-op weight in 220's

Hi all,

My surgery is scheduled for Monday. Ugh - these last second nagging worries that I'm doing the right thing.

My question is for those that have had the surgery starting with a pre-op weight in the 220's.

I've lost about 30 pounds since mid-October just following a very low carb diet. That's a decent success for me considering I haven't been this weight for at least 10 years (226 lbs). Did you have feelings like "I know I could do this myself without surgery, if I just kept doing what I'm doing"?

That's the only thing kind of nagging at me...almost makes me wish I hadn't worked so hard for the last three months!..lol.

I'm not sure why I have been successful so far, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm shooting for this goal of surgery, i.e. I KNOW I have to eat right before because I want a safe surgery, but I never thought I would lose 30 lbs.

Now having said that, I'm still committed to having the surgery, (oh I suppose I could wake up Monday morning and never show up for surgery..highly doubtful), I just have these last minute jitters.

Have I been hungry these last few months? Sometimes, but not too bad. Do I think I could continue this way of eating without the surgery? Ehh...I'm betting not. Would I hate myself if I gained back 30 lbs...? Yup..lol. I need to lose (or want to lose) another 70 lbs or so.... could I do that without surgery? Seems impossible.......my son who is a health fanatic keeps telling me I can do it on my own.........same with the lovely ex-husband who I made the mistake of telling (he's a big of a poo-poo-er about anything involving a medication or elective surgery - believes in herbal remedies - ). My sister and my niece are my supporters.

Anyway, anyone who started in the mid 220's want to weigh in on this?

The day I had surgery I weighed 230 and I am close to 5"8. You know the crazy thing is that a year before my surgery my highest weight was 215 and I had taken diet pills and had gotten down to 167. Look at how much weight I gained back over a years time plus even more. When I decided to have this surgery I began to eat all the time because I kept telling myself that I would never be able to eat like that again . I stopped weighing myself so I had no idea I weighed 230. I had never weighed that much in my whole life . I decided to have surgery bc I was sick of losing and gaining and losing and gaining. My surgery was in February 15, 2014 and I have lost 92 pounds. I weigh 138 which was exactly my goal weight. It has taken me 10 months . I thank god everyday for this surgery and wouldn't change a thing. By the way I can eat whatever I want just much smaller amounts so I never feel deprived. I didn't do this to be miserable and feel like I was on some crazy diet . I went to Mexico and I used Dr. Quinones and he was wonderful . Good luck to you!!!

I weighed 255 (my highest ever-had had a baby and never lost the weight). I lost about 11 pounds before surgery (did not work on it very long before surgery). I knew I could lose it on my own if I wanted but I was tired of going up and down up and down. I knew this would help keep it off. Im a little over a year out and happy to say I have kept it off. Yes, I try to eat variety and not feel deprived also. I try to eat half of the bread on a sandwich-stuff like that. Good luck!

could do this myself without surgery, if I just kept doing what I'm doing"?

@@JALUVIC

i know i could have lost this weight without WLS :)

I've done it MANY times before

but i could NEVER keep it off!!! :(

i would gain the weight i loss plus more back :angry:

I have been at GOAL these past two years (fluctuating at times) :)

the sleeve can't do all the work alone - i knew that

I needed to work with the sleeve

and "it" worked with/for me ;)

good luck monday :)

30 lbs down!!!

kathy

congrats

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I started the week before surgery at 237 and weighed 228 the day of surgery. I am 100% certain I would not be where I am at now without the sleeve. It's one thing for me to stay strict on a diet for a few weeks or month and I had lost 90-100 pounds before in the past. The problem is I gain it back as soon as I get comfortable. Now, there is no getting comfortable because I cannot physically eat as much as I used to eat. I am constantly reminded that I can have a few bites and be quite full without having to gorge myself. I do think I could have lost the weight without surgery, I just know I would not have kept it off and it would have involved a lot more misery. When you can't physically eat enough to be fat, it is far more effective than just being on a diet.

I say go for it and good luck!

Thank God for this forum. It's been my constant companion for at least two months how. You all are a blessing and I thank you for the replies, you re-enforced what I know already, I just wanted to "hear it". :)

I lost 60 pounds prior to surgery. My surgery weight was 225. I didn't second guess my decision because while I knew I could lose the weight...I also knew that I would be the 95% who gained it all back and then some. My nutritionist and surgeon said that those of us who have ever had a BMI over 35 need surgery to keep the weight off. They specifically said that WLS studies show 50% are able to keep the weight off for life. The odds are obviously much better with WLS so it was a no brainer for me.

go for it you will feel better after the inital pain of the surgery.

my daughter wanted me to try to lose without the surgery.

She told me after surgery it was because she was afraid that

something might happen to me.

its not about family, its about you, putting yourself first for a change

to do whats needed for you to succeed.

we as caregivers are not use to putting ourselves first.

it's weird and unnatural. stay strong and love yourself enough

to help yourself. help comes in all packages...surgery is one of them.

im not in it for the quick fix...im in it because its time to look after

my health. my husband and family are supportive.

I weighed 228 at my heaviest before surgery on Aug 19th 2014. My girlfriend did the 2 week per-op diet with me to be supportive. The morning of my surgery I was on the table with tears streaming down my face in doubt. I had the surgery! 5 months later, I've lost 75 pounds. My girlfriend, the one who has been trying to lose weight, walks with me at work every day, is doing her own version of a low fat, low carb diet... Has lost a total of 5 pounds. She has yo-yo'd up and down about 10 pounds. HAVE THE SURGERY! It'll be the best thing you've ever done for yourself! Good luck! You can do it!

I weigh 218 and just starting my 2 week pre op diet. I am having the surgery on Feb 2nd because each time I lose the weight I always gain it back. I'm planning to follow the plan and lose the weight and keep it off forever!

220 two weeks before surgery 9/8. Currently 161 pounds. No regrets!

There's no way I could've gotten back to this weight without the surgery.

I did the same thing... I was 218 at surgery... Doubted me having surgery... I was losing fine on the preop diet... I could do it myself... Then I thought... Doing it myself for all these years has gotten me to 218... I'm glad I went through with it!!!

I'm still pre-op, but my SW was 228, and I've lost about 15 so far on my supervised diet. I truly don't think I can get to where I need to be without wls. I'll be following your progress. Best of luck!!

Hi all,

My surgery is scheduled for Monday. Ugh - these last second nagging worries that I'm doing the right thing.

My question is for those that have had the surgery starting with a pre-op weight in the 220's.

I've lost about 30 pounds since mid-October just following a very low carb diet. That's a decent success for me considering I haven't been this weight for at least 10 years (226 lbs). Did you have feelings like "I know I could do this myself without surgery, if I just kept doing what I'm doing"?

That's the only thing kind of nagging at me...almost makes me wish I hadn't worked so hard for the last three months!..lol.

I'm not sure why I have been successful so far, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm shooting for this goal of surgery, i.e. I KNOW I have to eat right before because I want a safe surgery, but I never thought I would lose 30 lbs.

Now having said that, I'm still committed to having the surgery, (oh I suppose I could wake up Monday morning and never show up for surgery..highly doubtful), I just have these last minute jitters.

Have I been hungry these last few months? Sometimes, but not too bad. Do I think I could continue this way of eating without the surgery? Ehh...I'm betting not. Would I hate myself if I gained back 30 lbs...? Yup..lol. I need to lose (or want to lose) another 70 lbs or so.... could I do that without surgery? Seems impossible.......my son who is a health fanatic keeps telling me I can do it on my own.........same with the lovely ex-husband who I made the mistake of telling (he's a big of a poo-poo-er about anything involving a medication or elective surgery - believes in herbal remedies - ). My sister and my niece are my supporters.

Anyway, anyone who started in the mid 220's want to weigh in on this?

I never thought I could do it on my own and KEEP IT OFF!! I'd been yo yo dieting for 30 years! The day of the seminar I weighed 228, I had two months before I was flying back to Dallas for surgery. No "pre-op" two week diet, I had 2 months to lose 10 - 15 lbs, per the doctor's orders. I lost 23, I've NEVER had a problem losing. I'd lost 50 lbs three different times in my life and less amounts more times than I can remember......once I got off the "diet" the weight came back, so no, I never had doubts. Total I've lost about 85 lbs, I've been easily maintaining at or below Dr. Davidson's goal, since Dec 2010. His goal was 150, mine was 145.....I stay between 144 and 147. Not one minute of buyer's remorse and I know there is no way I could have lost this amount and never could I have kept it off. It is life altering!