Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass was the worst decision of my Life!

8 yrs after bypass surgery and Im still suffering consequences from it. Since Bypass surgery in 2006 I have had at least 10 surgeries due to complications of the Bypass surgery. I have not taken any legal action because I made the decision and I only blame myself for that mistake. When I say Mistake I mean the Biggest mistake of my Life! I try to discourage people from evin thinking about having this surgery. It has made irreversable changes in my life and wasted years trying to recover.I decided to have the surgery because I was in pain all the time, I had high blood pressure, dibetes, faciates in both feet and no energy to keep up with my 4yr old daughter. The Dr. let me know all of those would change in a positive way. I visioned myself healthy, thin, painfree, happy and enjoying life with my baby girl. Well all those wonderful thoughts vanished on Sept.24,2006. 3 days after my 40th bday. The freind that motivated me to have the surgery died in Nov.2006, 3 months after my surgery, from complications of the Bypass. The day of surgery I already knew I made a mistake when I woke up in recovery and immediately began to vomit and the pain was unbearable! I was told there would be a 3-5day hospital stay after surgery. I was in the hospital 3weeks due to an infection on my incision site. By the time I left the hospital I had lost at least 30lb.s which was not a healthy start. When I went home I was not interested in eating at all. This put me back in the hospital for Dehydration, malnutrition, Calcium deffeciency, low magnesium and I was diagnosed as beeing anemic. All this was given back to me through an I.V. over the next week in the hospital. I left for home another 20lb.s lighter. This should have made me smile but instead I became depressed and had no energy for Life and did not want to be in it anymore. I didnt care about moving forward and a few weeks later I was back in the hospital. I had developed Spinal Meningitas because of the lack of nutrition in my body my immune system was hardly existant. I was so sick I cant remember half the time I was in the hospital and so dehydrated I was poked 12 times before they could start an I.V. in my neck. My veins had flattened. I had not seen my daughter since surgery which was at least 80lb.s and 2 yrs later. She was so scared of me and so was I. I was so pale and sickly looking and had become so weak I could barely hold her and my tears barely dripped down my face. I was so sad I Loved her so much and I felt like I wasnt going to see her again. I didnt want her to see me like that again. My mother made the decision that she needed to see me at that point, and Im glad she did that for me. I finally started to recover from the menangitis when I got sick again and was diagnosed with MRSA. This took its toll just like everything else that had gone wrong and I lost another 40lbs. This was not good for my health because I was eating nuthing at this point. I did not have a taste for any type of food or anything else which only landed me back in the hospital. The Dr. explained how my body was eating itself since I wasnt feeding it. This disgusted me that I couldnt eat or drink anything without vomitting as quick as I tried to eat or drink. I was fed through an I.V. for the next couple weeks. Is anyone as disgusted with the outcome of my surgery as I am? More to come........

Edited by muck

8 yrs after bypass surgery

Muck? Why do you say that? What happened?

Everything that could possibly go wrong DID!

While I understand the issues you had and they were very serious I have to say that doesn't happen to every person. I sympathize with you and feel terrible this happed but it doesn't happen to everyone. I had this surgery done is Jan of 2011m, so 4 years ago and its the best thing that's ever happened to me. I have had none, zero issues or complications what so ever. I still have never had dumping syndrome or anything negative happen as a result of having the surgery. So I don't want to discourage people who want to do this just because of the misfortunate circumstances you experienced.

@@muck

I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience. You have to eat and drink even if your appetite is suppressed. Taking Vitamins and supplements is also very important. Yes, nausea can happen to some people but there are meds for it and saltine crackers. Smaller portions help too. If all you can eat is two spoon fulls. That's okay, you can eat 6 to 8 times per day.

I remember my Nutritionist saying 3 meals per day, if you are hungry or not. In the beginning it was two or 3 baby spoons only.

We have to eat and drink to live.

I am very happy with my bypass surgery, it has changed my life and I am only 11 weeks post surgery. I feel amazing.

I am so sorry to hear about your negative experience and I certainly hope you are feeling better now. I feel bad that you have struggled so terrible.

I do believe that good nutrition following this surgery is critical to its success. There have been times when I am nauseous and still have to make sure I get my Protein, Water and Vitamins in. If I dont I could end up dehydrated and missing the most critical nutrients. That can make and keep a person very very ill.

It has been drilled into our heads that we have to eat a minimum of 3 times per day and that food should consist of both Protein and vegetables.

I would hate to see people discouraged from having a critical surgery that could save their lives.

The most important thing is that as a WLS patient cannot come along for the ride, they must work very hard to both lose their weight and remain healthy doing it. It is up to the patient to follow the plan. I have read about folks ending back in the hospital because they cannot stay hydrated or choose to not take their Vitamins as prescribed. I do think that is why there is such a long process to get approved, they want to make sure one is willing and able to make the changes required to be successful.

I hope you are feeling better now and that you don't continue to have problems in the future.

Also, I think it is important to note that you had spinal meningitis - that is not a complication of WLS; it is an entirely separate disease and can be very serious, even fatal, on its own. Yes, you were already not doing well and that probably did affect your ability to recover from it. My college roommate caught meningitis b/c we worked at the local hospital and she had a sinus infection, which decreases your defenses against it. She was extremely ill for weeks even though she was a healthy 125 lbs and had no other issues beforehand.

Then, you were unlucky enough to develop MRSA, from being hospitalized so much. I can totally understand your feelings, that if you'd never had WLS none of the rest of this might have happened, but you still might have had meningitis and then the MRSA.

Also, I'm sure it's just a mistake in my interpretation, but you talked about being in the hospital 3 weeks from an infection, going home and a few weeks later being back in the hospital for meningitis, then right after that the MRSA. Then you say you had not seen your child for 2 years? Something doesn't add up there.

Again, I am truly sorry about your experience and am not trying to diminish it in any way. Since all this happened 8 yrs ago, how are you doing now?

8 yrs after bypass surgery and Im still suffering consequences from it.

In reading your story, it sounds like a terrible nightmare. This is not a typical story of what happens after gastric bypass! It sounds like a combination of mistakes made here. First of all, in my case, I had to go to a class first, and had to spend time with my surgeon, so he could determine if I was a good candidate for this surgery. It doesn't sound like you were properly educated about this surgery in order to make an informed decision to have it. I was NEVER told that Boom! have this surgery and be thin, happy and active forever! I was told all possible problems and most importantly, I was told that this surgery would ONLY be successful if I put the time and energy into following everything my clinic gave me to do. I had to meet with a dietician many times before and after surgery, every week for the first month, then once a month where we discussed in detail what I was to eat at each phase. If I had not been able to eat, it would have been dealt with immediately! I also was well educated on taking Vitamins everyday for the rest of my life. I wasn't even allowed out of the hospital until I was able to swallow liquid in the proper amounts and all was well.

This story makes it really clear to me that there are some people who never should have this surgery. If you don't or can't take your Vitamins and feed your body nutrients, you will die. And unforseen medical issues that developed after surgery make me wonder about the professional level of care you received. Tracy

Hi I am sorry that this happens to you. This surgury was a God send and saved my life . I have had no problems and take all Vitamins as directed, consumed all Water as directed, take all my required Protein daily and I hit the gym 5 days per week exercise for 2 hours every day . I have no dumping and I love and enjoy life. Everyone must make an informative decision and ensure that this is the surgury for them and make the necessary changes in their life . They must also ask themselves without this surgury what quality of life will they have .

Hi I am sorry that this happens to you. This surgury was a God send and saved my life . I have had no problems and take all Vitamins as directed, consumed all Water as directed, take all my required Protein daily and I hit the gym 5 days per week exercise for 2 hours every day . I have no dumping and I love and enjoy life. Everyone must make an informative decision and ensure that this is the surgury for them and make the necessary changes in their life . They must also ask themselves without this surgury what quality of life will they have .

OOH MUCK GIRL YOU WENT THROUGH IT. I'M SO SORRY FOR ALL THE BAD EXPERIENCES. STORIES LIKE THIS IS THE REASON I AVOIDED STORIES THAT DEALT WITH THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE SURGERY ON DIFFERENT SITES I VISITED. I WENT IN KNOWING COMPLETELY THE PROBLEMS THAT COULD ARISE. I EVEN KNOW A WOMAN WHO DID DIE FROM IT, BUT I ALSO KNEW IT HAPPENS TO VERY VERY FEW. YET WHEN YOU'RE ONE OF THE FEW; THE PERCENTAGE OF SUCCESSES REALLY DON'T MATTER. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THE REST OF YOUR STORY IN HOPES THAT IT HAS GOTTEN OR IS GETTING MUCH BETTER. YOU KNOW THIS SCIENCE OF WEIGHT LOSS THROUGH SURGERY IS EVERY CHANGING. WHEN I GOT MY LAPBAND IN 2008; I NEVER WOULD HAVE IF THEY HAD KNOWN WHAT THEY KNOW NOW. I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE BYPASS. ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAD RNY YEARS AGO AND RECEIVED NO INFO. SHE GOT OUT THE HOSPITAL, CAME HOME & FRIED chicken AND ATE IT. SHE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 3 MONTHS ON A FEEDING TUBE. MOST OF US DO WELL (THANK GOD) WITH THIS SURGERY. I'M SO SORRY YOU WERE IN THAT SMALL PERCENT THAT DIDN'T, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU WON'T. PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED. HERE'S TO A BRIGHTER 2015 FOR YOU.

I had my surgery gas gastric bypass in 2011. Two weeks later I got up to go to work. I had the worst pain in my stomach and I felt like I was light-headed. So I got in the shower and apparently I passed out. My husband heard me pass out in the shower and he picked me up and brought me to the emergency room. I was in so much pain that I couldn't even unfold from holding my stomach. I sat in the ER for about 6 hours. The Physician said that there is nothing wrong with me and tried to release me. I argued with him and said that he was wrong but something was definitely wrong with me. After hours I convinced him to do a CT scan. So I could see if there is anything wrong because I knew that there was something wrong. After the CT scan was conducted in the ER he came to me within minutes and apologized and told me that I had anatomic leak. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and the surgeon that did the original surgery. It was so scary I was being ran back to the surgery room and they had to perform surgery to fix the leak. They had told my husband and I had a 10% chance of living or surviving the surgery. When I woke up I had 4 drain tubes in me and I had a feeding tube. I was in so much pain. I was admitted into the hospital for 4 weeks. Then I had to go to the transitional Hospital area and I was in there an additional three weeks. I was unable to go back to work because I was so sick and so weak. Now it is 2020 and I am permanently disabled. Because of the surgery I have neuropathy from my hips to my feet. I also have seizures at least twice a week. I am also anemic. I have horrible pain from my neck all the way down to my feet. I did the surgery to change my life. When I started the surgery I was 350 lb. At the beginning of my weight loss I was down to 114 lbs. Very frail very weak. I was wheelchair-bound for 2 years. Then I graduated to Walker with lots of work. My life was changed forever. I wish I would have never had the surgery. I cannot believe that I became permanently disabled at the age of 41. I do not work. I cannot stand in one place for more than a minute without my legs getting weak and he wanted to pass out. I cannot watch fireworks with my grandkids because I have a seizure. I cannot be around light because it gives me a seizure. I cannot handle stress because I have anxiety attacks now. So anybody that's thinking about doing the surgery better think really hard because you're taking a chance with the rest of your life. My dream is to be normal. My life is changed forever and not for the good. I take 7 pills a day just to walk and cope.

VERY UNLUCKY. YOU'RE ONE IN A MILLION.

DON'T TELL PEOPLE THE BYPASS IS BAD JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE UNLUCKY.

I had my surgery gas gastric bypass in 2011. Two weeks later I got up to go to work. I had the worst pain in my stomach and I felt like I was light-headed. So I got in the shower and apparently I passed out. My husband heard me pass out in the shower and he picked me up and brought me to the emergency room. I was in so much pain that I couldn't even unfold from holding my stomach. I sat in the ER for about 6 hours. The Physician said that there is nothing wrong with me and tried to release me. I argued with him and said that he was wrong but something was definitely wrong with me. After hours I convinced him to do a CT scan. So I could see if there is anything wrong because I knew that there was something wrong. After the CT scan was conducted in the ER he came to me within minutes and apologized and told me that I had anatomic leak. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and the surgeon that did the original surgery. It was so scary I was being ran back to the surgery room and they had to perform surgery to fix the leak. They had told my husband and I had a 10% chance of living or surviving the surgery. When I woke up I had 4 drain tubes in me and I had a feeding tube. I was in so much pain. I was admitted into the hospital for 4 weeks. Then I had to go to the transitional Hospital area and I was in there an additional three weeks. I was unable to go back to work because I was so sick and so weak. Now it is 2020 and I am permanently disabled. Because of the surgery I have neuropathy from my hips to my feet. I also have seizures at least twice a week. I am also anemic. I have horrible pain from my neck all the way down to my feet. I did the surgery to change my life. When I started the surgery I was 350 lb. At the beginning of my weight loss I was down to 114 lbs. Very frail very weak. I was wheelchair-bound for 2 years. Then I graduated to Walker with lots of work. My life was changed forever. I wish I would have never had the surgery. I cannot believe that I became permanently disabled at the age of 41. I do not work. I cannot stand in one place for more than a minute without my legs getting weak and he wanted to pass out. I cannot watch fireworks with my grandkids because I have a seizure. I cannot be around light because it gives me a seizure. I cannot handle stress because I have anxiety attacks now. So anybody that's thinking about doing the surgery better think really hard because you're taking a chance with the rest of your life. My dream is to be normal. My life is changed forever and not for the good. I take 7 pills a day just to walk and cope.
This is so sad I'm so sorry this happen to you.