Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to change clothing sizes?

Hi Everyone,

Just curious, when did everyone start considering it might be time to try on a new clothing size? I've lost 50 pounds and I knew my clothes were getting baggy, but my jeans (same jeans I wore before surgery) are driving me crazy with how baggy they are today. I haven't paid attention to my measurements too much so I don't know how much smaller I actually am.

I know everyone is going to be different, but I'm curious how much weight you lost or how much time passed after surgery before you thought it was time to try a new size?

Actually, pretty much when your clothes start falling off of you, start getting new stuff...which is the fun part!! However, please don't make the same mistake that I did...I was so glad that I was buying smaller sizes that I ended buying too much stuff at my new size, and then lost some more, and then the new clothes were falling off of me!! Best bet is to not buy too much, and not buy too high quality until you're much closer to your goal weight...THEN start investing in a nice wardrobe!!!

When mine were feeling big I replaced them. I mostly shopped in second hand stores until my weight stabilized though. Going from extreme sizes (22 to size 5 for me) is a lot of sizes and can be quite costly.

Yea I'm already pretty sure I need to buy a few new items. Just wondering how much people actually lost before they started noticing a change in size enough that they needed new clothing. I already plan to only buy the bare necessities and I have no shame in rummaging through friend's closets.

Yea I'm already pretty sure I need to buy a few new items. Just wondering how much people actually lost before they started noticing a change in size enough that they needed new clothing. I already plan to only buy the bare necessities and I have no shame in rummaging through friend's closets.

Good idea!!! Borrow whenever and wherever you can!!

As far as weight amount, I had lost about 30 lbs. or so when I started to pick up smaller size clothing. I also got talked about so badly by my wife, kids, and co-workers about my baggy clothes that I had no choice but to go shopping!

I started thrifting before I got surgery trying to comb the racks for the best stuff. So I have a little collection of near new JCrew and banana Republic things to fit into when it's time. Right now I have enough of my old stuff to fit into as a I drop but I plan as much as possible to try and skip 2 sizes at a time rather than one and deal with some bagginess in between. At least for the first 6 months when I'm losing fast. I also sew so that helps a lot.

Also check out sites like Threadflip and moddeals

Edited by Natasha Estrada

I started thrifting before I got surgery trying to comb the racks for the best stuff. So I have a little collection of near new JCrew and Banana Republic things to fit into when it's time. Right now I have enough of my old stuff to fit into as a I drop but I plan as much as possible to try and skip 2 sizes at a time rather than one and deal with some bagginess in between. At least for the first 6 months when I'm losing fast. I also sew so that helps a lot.

Wish I had thought of that!

I suggest...first dig back through stuff you've packed away saying "I will wear this again." You'll be amazed at the store you have right in your storage bins or in the back of drawers. And doing this digging will be exciting and tedious--if you're like me and have a bunch of clothes you haven't worn. 'New with tags' for days! Some things are outdaited, but not all!! But again, it's fun. "Wow! Look at this! Wow. I can wear this now! Oh yeah!"

I would NOT pay any big money. Wal-mart, $14 jeans was my first purchase, when I was 3 months post VSG.

I suggest...first dig back through stuff you've packed away saying "I will wear this again." You'll be amazed at the store you have right in your storage bins or in the back of drawers. And doing this digging will be exciting and tedious--if you're like me and have a bunch of clothes you haven't worn. 'New with tags' for days! Some things are outdaited, but not all!! But again, it's fun. "Wow! Look at this! Wow. I can wear this now! Oh yeah!"

I would NOT pay any big money. Wal-mart, $14 jeans was my first purchase, when I was 3 months post VSG.

Excellent idea @@Dr-Patient except I travel for work and won't be home and able to go through storage for old clothes for another month. I have jeans in storage one size, two sizes, and even 3 sizes down from where I am. Would have been rocking those weeks ago if I could get to them.

Hi Everyone,

Just curious, when did everyone start considering it might be time to try on a new clothing size? I've lost 50 pounds and I knew my clothes were getting baggy, but my jeans (same jeans I wore before surgery) are driving me crazy with how baggy they are today. I haven't paid attention to my measurements too much so I don't know how much smaller I actually am.

I know everyone is going to be different, but I'm curious how much weight you lost or how much time passed after surgery before you thought it was time to try a new size?

I was sleeved 11-6-14 I am down 60 lbs 45 since surgery day. Just this past week I pulled all my storage bins with old clothes out and put them in piles by size. I tried on everything! Took hours but I found I can still fit in most my larger clothes???? ( wish they were so big I had to get rid of them) but not quite there yet.

I did add 20+ pairs pants to the mix that fit now and more suprising was the shirts that fit now ! I put what is still to small into bins labeled them and I will try them in one month to see if I can introduce more old clothes. Hoping by then I have to get rid off my big clothes. Honestly only about 5 things are to big now to wear and that's because they were loose when I was at my heaviest!

I'm saving my first "purchase outfit" ( real shopping ) for my 200 lb mark. Which is 35 lbs away. I'm praying in 6 weeks to 2 months I can go get that outfit! It will be a day to remember!

I agree with everyone, shop at thrift and Goodwill stores because you won't be in that size very long. What feels good is seeing clothes fit better and better instead of buying stuff that fits around our widest dimension.

I'm having this same problem. I know my clothes are way to big now but I really don't want to spend the money to get new clothes that I won't be able to fit hopefully in two months. So I decided to buy a few staple items that I can wear with my larger clothes, like a jacket and two pair of jeans that are a little tight. I brought them a little tight so that in a month or two they'll fit perfect. Now when I say a little tight I mean I can fit into to them but they're just not as roomy as I'm used to. I'm also using these clothes as motivation for me to bust my butt in the gym to lose some more inches!

My favorite jeans (before surgery and now) are Old Navy Diva style boot cut in the dark rinse. Regular price they are only $29.99 and if I can get them on sale, only $19. On my surgery day I was a size 20 and over the months have transitioned down into a 18,16,14,12,10... And I'm about to pull out the size 8's! I stocked up on the smaller sizes (2 pairs of each size) and that's basically what I've been living in for the last 8 months post surgery. I will invest in a new (more expensive) wardrobe once I get to goal weight. The few select other items I did buy I bought a little on the snug side knowing they would be loose in a few short weeks.

I'm swapping out clothes as they get too big. I too have everything n my closet from an 18 - 30. I've had to buy new underwear because they were literally falling off. My winter dress coat is too large but I have some jackets I can fit. Both my suits for Water aerobics are too big, but I'm only buying one to replace it.

I'm mostly wearing dresses and my workout gear since they seem to look the most presentable as I lose. My pants and jeans just look crazy.