Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marathon training

No intrusion at all!

I've been very lucky to have a supportive medical staff. I have an Ortho for a shoulder issue and he looked at my knees and said they were in great shape for my age, 45, and go for it! I say it's because I never ran and wore them out when I was young LoL.

I am not one to recommend going against medical advice, but does your PT have any basis for that advice other than your age? I mean many adults take up running at later ages... Women actually have better endurance (albeit less speed) in our 40's than when we were younger overall.

@@jess9395 I think my PT recommended no running because of the risk of injury. He said that if I hurt my hamstring running (apparently a common malady with runners? I'm not sure) that such an injury could sideline me for months. I'm lacking in glute strength, so maybe he was referencing that particular weakness as well. He suggested biking as a joint friendly alternative. Biking just doesn't "speak" to me. When I hurt my hip last summer I was doing 4 dance classes a week on top of C25K 3X per week. I was just overextending myself given my caloric intake, I don't think the running itself hurt me. But I can't be sure. I've never had problems with my knees but I do have hip pain I deal with pretty regularly (injured left, had a cortisone shot, now my right hurts).

I still want to try again.

I just turned 55 and started running. I have worked out a routine with an older experienced runner that I work with. I am running on tuesdays, thursdays and one of the weekend days. A day between runs is important for us older runners. Two weeks in to this I am running 2.2 miles on each weekday and my longer run is on the weekend. The weekend run will be increased by a mile per week. The weekday runs will be increased to about the 5 mile point slowly. It has been stressed that shoes are the most important item to prevent injury. In other words, go get a pair fitted to you and spare no expence. It is the difference between night and day. Havent really work on the nutritional side of this. My nut at one point mentioned the use of nuts to increases calories and still trying to stay away from simple carbos. I am waiting to see what my body tells me.

@@jess9395 I think my PT recommended no running because of the risk of injury. He said that if I hurt my hamstring running (apparently a common malady with runners? I'm not sure) that such an injury could sideline me for months. I'm lacking in glute strength, so maybe he was referencing that particular weakness as well. He suggested biking as a joint friendly alternative. Biking just doesn't "speak" to me. When I hurt my hip last summer I was doing 4 dance classes a week on top of C25K 3X per week. I was just overextending myself given my caloric intake, I don't think the running itself hurt me. But I can't be sure. I've never had problems with my knees but I do have hip pain I deal with pretty regularly (injured left, had a cortisone shot, now my right hurts).

I still want to try again.

Sorry of course it's due to the risk of injury but I wondered if there were other factors than your age that your PT thought put you at greater risk for injury.

Knees, hips and shins seem to be the most common injuries and overuse problems I have seen among the people I run with...IT band issues. Not so much hamstrings but it's of course possible. So maybe it's related to your hip issues I don't know.

Hip issues can definitely cause an imbalance when you run. You try to protect the area that hurts and end up injuring another part.

See getting it all done at once and the twilight sedation are two of the things that appeal to me too!

DH wants me to talk to someone who's been there/done that in person. Would you mind if I PM'd you?

How long before you could run again? I'm slightly afraid if I stop I won't start again!!

Definitely PM me. I'm even willing to talk on the phone or send over pics.

I was afraid of that too. My last run was in May (half marathon). I had orthovisc (lubrication) injections for chondromalacia which bothers me when I sit for long periods of time. I had about 2 months in between injections and surgery. I live in Florida and I couldn't get motivated to run in the heat, so I took some time off and worked on my core. After plastics I tried running at 6 weeks C25K day 1 and just felt too weird, especially my face and butt. I tried once a week after that but didn't really feel right until week 12. When I did start back I progressed quickly through C25K. I went from 45 sec of running to 9 miles in about 10 weeks.

Definitely PM me. I'm even willing to talk on the phone or send over pics.

I was afraid of that too. My last run was in May (half marathon). I had orthovisc (lubrication) injections for chondromalacia which bothers me when I sit for long periods of time. I had about 2 months in between injections and surgery. I live in Florida and I couldn't get motivated to run in the heat, so I took some time off and worked on my core. After plastics I tried running at 6 weeks C25K day 1 and just felt too weird, especially my face and butt. I tried once a week after that but didn't really feel right until week 12. When I did start back I progressed quickly through C25K. I went from 45 sec of running to 9 miles in about 10 weeks.

Thanks! I will PM you.

Wow that's a long time w/o running guess plastics will wait till after my marathon in mAy!

feel inspired. started running just 2 weeks ago. already hit 5k at around 35minutes I can got 2 miles before slowing for a walk. I hope that I can continue. I wrote on here to come back for a follow up. I will google some programs and see what helps me build endurance. Just ran a bit ago (after a very long week), and I am totally gassed.

Is there a c25k program you can recommend? I have never run (with 58 years of avoidance), but I do strength training and would like to try something in addition.

I have used "Run 5K" by felt tip software since it came out years ago.

Update - I did some C25K running (didn't turn on my app but the concept) today on the treadmill and I did ok! I hadn't done anything resembling running since July. I could go faster and I could have done longer stretches of running but didn't want to push it (still fearful). I've lost 25 lbs since I ran last which doesn't seem like a lot but boy did it make a difference! My thighs used to rub together a lot when I ran but not anymore. It felt good to try again, thanks for providing the motivation. I just started wearing a Fitbit HR and its helped me figure out I've become too comfy in my cardio training and its time to change it up.

Update - I did some C25K running (didn't turn on my app but the concept) today on the treadmill and I did ok! I hadn't done anything resembling running since July. I could go faster and I could have done longer stretches of running but didn't want to push it (still fearful). I've lost 25 lbs since I ran last which doesn't seem like a lot but boy did it make a difference! My thighs used to rub together a lot when I ran but not anymore. It felt good to try again, thanks for providing the motivation. I just started wearing a Fitbit HR and its helped me figure out I've become too comfy in my cardio training and its time to change it up.

GREAT JOB!!!

Signed up for Rock n Roll New Orleans 2016 full. They have an early registration deal of $50 if anyone is interested. That's a huge savings. Also, $10 insurance for injury, illness, job loss, etc.