Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does it get better?

Hey guys,

I have been lerking the blogs for sometimes and decide to post today.

I had my sleeve on Monday and the surgery went well, no major complications so far (thank good)

I been having a hard time getting my liquids down, feeling a little nauseous and tired all the time.

My question is, how long did it take before you felt like yourself? I just don't understand how people go to work a week after surgery because I feel like ???? lol. Thanks all

Give yourself some time. You just had major surgery. The key to liquids is a little bit really frequently. No big drinks just almost constant sipping. You will find some liquids go down better than others. Some people like warm and others cold. Just experiment gently. You will be tired for a week or two. I went on vacation for a week to the mountains at 5 days post op but it is all very individual. Every day you are closer to a thinner healthier you. You go this

Glad to hear you got through ok! The first week post-op I just really concentrated on getting liquids in and walking. It is normal to have a slow go with fluids. There is swelling where the surgery was done and it is very normal to have to drink fluids very slowly. It is also ok to feel tired. Your body has been through a lot! I was out of work for 2 weeks and felt like "myself" after 4 weeks. Good Luck!

everyone is right ... for me, in the first week, I concentrated on the following ...

- getting the liquids (hard for me as it is hard to swallow at first ... I couldn't drink easily until 6 days out and then it was slowly

- taking the Vitamins as suggested (this was really hard for me)

- getting as close to the Protein as I could (this usually meant fighting down and Isopure zero carb drink)

- then walking at least every hour or two and going for an extended walk once ... initially on day three my extended walk was 15 minutes, but, the next day it was closer to 30 minutes and went from there - you will find you have more energy and feel better when you are hydrated and get your Protein in >> I liken it to those survival shows where they say how much better they feel after killing a rat and getting the protein in ... you really do feel better

I went to work the next week and worked 2 days (dentist) and then a conference the next 3 days .. the fatigue lasted until week 4-5 for me and there are still times where I just get worn out ... naps help ...

I was sleeved on a Thursday afternoon, felt horrible all weekend, then returned to week following Friday (missed 6 days of work). If you had asked me three days out if I could have gone back that soon, I would not have thought it possible. Days 4-5 were turn-around point for me.

I agree. First 5 days sucked!!! I second guessed myself so many times!!! Suddenly by 6-7, I started feeling so much better. Went back to work after 10 business days. I'm 3 weeks post op today.

It also depends on the physical and hours of your job as to when you should go back. I look after children for a living so no lifting for the 4-6 weeks thing. I also had a drain for 2 weeks so they bumped my off work timeline another 2 weeks.. so I was not allowed back until 2 months post op but this is excessive when compared to the majority. You will definitely feel better after about 7 days.. I felt myself after a month and if I had a desk job would have been back after 3 weeks.

I just had my surgery Friday. I went back to work Monday...I only worked a half day mon and tues...whole day today. I felt like it was too long today...but I'm much better now that I'm home! Thank goodness for awesome bosses that are letting me come in and just take it easy!!!

It was several weeks for me before I felt "normal." Probably when I got the hang of the full diet with solid foods. So... 5 weeks maybe? But I was out of pain and getting around ok 2 days out. It gets better every day and it's a learning process. Hang in there!

It was a full week before I thought, "yeah, this might not kill me" lol the first week is really rough. Hang in there, it DOES get better...even when it feels like it won't.

Hang in there, it gets better. Don't feel alone- I was off work for a month and felt like I needed every bit of that time to heal. I even took naps every day. I looked at that time as my time to heal, learn to eat again, stay hydrated and walk. You got this!!