Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Questions I'm Pondering (I Need YOUR Input)

I am a little over half-way through the process my insurance company (CIGNA) requires before Gastric Sleeve surgery. My family and friends are on board. My Doctor is on board. I'm tired of being overweight.

I am a researcher. I love to study and I have probably over-studied the Gastric Sleeve, but I have a couple more nagging questions. Can you help me out?

1. If you've had the Gastric Sleeve, would you do it again?

2. What was/were the thing(s) that surprised you the most after you had the surgery?

Edited by His Fairest

Absolutely! I was out of control and needed to do SOMETHING. I couldn't do it on my own for 36 years, so whether it works for me or not, I can't regret taking some step to try to live longer.

I was surprised by how much it hurt! I honestly thought it was going to be a breeze - I mean, I'd had a tumor and an ovary removed through an open incision a few years ago and practically danced out of the hospital. Did NOT imagine that the one little tiny hole where my stomach came out of would hurt worse than all that, but it did! Please don't let that scare you off. A lot of people come out of this and have pretty much no pain at all.

I'm only 19 weeks out, so my answers might be different in a year or more, but here goes:

1) Absolutely! My weight loss has been slow (compared to many on this site), but it has been steady and consistent, with no signs of slowing or stopping. I won't lie, it has been a real adjustment. The first several weeks were challenging with so many restrictions on what I could eat and so much discomfort. But that's already a distant memory. Now I feel "normal" 95% of the time and I've really adapted to my new way of eating.

2) The restriction is REAL. I mean, we all go into this surgery because of the restriction, but once you really experience it for yourself, it's pretty mindblowing. When I sit down to eat dinner with my husband now and can only eat like 1/6th of what I ate before the surgery, it is CRAZY to think of how much I used to eat. It was pretty evident around the holidays as well. Where I used to be able to pack away Cookies and pie and ice cream and all sorts of things, I can only take a few bites now and I'm done. I did still get to eat some of those things over the holidays, but the amount that I ate was drastically different. And, like I said, we all go into this surgery for this exact reason, but when it's really real, it can be a bit shocking still.

Yes, not living my life for food.< /p>

YES YES YES I'd do it in a heartbeat and MY ONLY regret is not having it done sooner (I'm 53 and have been overweight since I was 13)! So much so that I don't remember ever in my life being this happy and feeling so healthy and energetic and good!

I've had a REALLY good outcome since day one. I walked 30 minutes after returning to my hospital room from my surgery and didn't feel any pain at all, only minor discomfort due to gas -- which walking helped tremendously, more than anything and I did so every 2 hours -- even at nights. I am down 73 lbs, 8 months out, am a size 10 pants (I have NEVER been a size 10 before) and loving my life.

Good luck, stay positive, stay excited and follow your doctors advises to a T. Keep us posted.

1. Most likely not. I'm 8 weeks post-op and I can't eat much. I hate the feeling. I fear food, but I want it so bad at the same time. I'm sick a lot and I'm following recommended eating. I just want to be normal again.

2. The pain and discomfort of trying to learn to eat and drink again. It's an awful feeling. The acid-reflux can also be painful - I'd never experienced it.

1. I would do it again. I've lost weight before but the difference here is even when my heart isn't into it, I can't really fall off the wagon like I used to. At least at first, it takes some of the choice out of dieting and makes it much easier to succeed.

2. Most definitely and I'm going to try to keep this to the biggest things. I'm surprised at how much I've thrown up. I've thrown up more in the past 3 months than probably my whole life combined. Mostly it's my fault for not eating slow or chewing good enough and apparently I'm a slow learner because it still happens a few times a week. I was also surprised that I didn't lose weight faster. I have since made peace with this but I had certain expectations and was disappointed when I didn't drop the weight at the rate I expected. And finally, I was surprised to find out how much of an emotional eater I am. When you can physically no longer medicate with food, it's exposes those little emotional nerves. I didn't realize I was doing it to the level that I was. But I still have the urge to eat a really big, fattening meal and I know this is an emotional and irrational urge but a real one just the same.

Absolutely! I was out of control and needed to do SOMETHING. I couldn't do it on my own for 36 years, so whether it works for me or not, I can't regret taking some step to try to live longer.

I was surprised by how much it hurt! I honestly thought it was going to be a breeze - I mean, I'd had a tumor and an ovary removed through an open incision a few years ago and practically danced out of the hospital. Did NOT imagine that the one little tiny hole where my stomach came out of would hurt worse than all that, but it did! Please don't let that scare you off. A lot of people come out of this and have pretty much no pain at all.

Thank you! I've had 3 c-sections. Some hurt worse than the others. I was wondering how this would rate pain-wise. Thanks for your input, and congrats on your success. :-)

Edited by His Fairest

I'm only 19 weeks out, so my answers might be different in a year or more, but here goes:

1) Absolutely! My weight loss has been slow (compared to many on this site), but it has been steady and consistent, with no signs of slowing or stopping. I won't lie, it has been a real adjustment. The first several weeks were challenging with so many restrictions on what I could eat and so much discomfort. But that's already a distant memory. Now I feel "normal" 95% of the time and I've really adapted to my new way of eating.

2) The restriction is REAL. I mean, we all go into this surgery because of the restriction, but once you really experience it for yourself, it's pretty mindblowing. When I sit down to eat dinner with my husband now and can only eat like 1/6th of what I ate before the surgery, it is CRAZY to think of how much I used to eat. It was pretty evident around the holidays as well. Where I used to be able to pack away Cookies and pie and ice cream and all sorts of things, I can only take a few bites now and I'm done. I did still get to eat some of those things over the holidays, but the amount that I ate was drastically different. And, like I said, we all go into this surgery for this exact reason, but when it's really real, it can be a bit shocking still.

I'd wondered how this feels - the restriction. I'm glad you feel so good so often. Right now (pre-op) I feel so bad so often. I cannot wait to have my knees, back, and feet feel better without the weight. Congrats on your steady losses. :-)

Yes, not living my life for food.

What a change, eh? Congrats on your new life.

YES YES YES I'd do it in a heartbeat and MY ONLY regret is not having it done sooner (I'm 53 and have been overweight since I was 13)! So much so that I don't remember ever in my life being this happy and feeling so healthy and energetic and good!

I've had a REALLY good outcome since day one. I walked 30 minutes after returning to my hospital room from my surgery and didn't feel any pain at all, only minor discomfort due to gas -- which walking helped tremendously, more than anything and I did so every 2 hours -- even at nights. I am down 73 lbs, 8 months out, am a size 10 pants (I have NEVER been a size 10 before) and loving my life.

Good luck, stay positive, stay excited and follow your doctors advises to a T. Keep us posted.

Thank you for encouraging me. I am so glad you're feeling so great! Thank you also for reminding me about the gas pains. I had those after my 3 c-sections. This is the same advice I tell new moms who have had a c-section - keep the gas medicine handy for that first week or so. I'll have to remember that as I prepare for surgery. Congrats on your weight loss and your new life! :-)

1. Most likely not. I'm 8 weeks post-op and I can't eat much. I hate the feeling. I fear food, but I want it so bad at the same time. I'm sick a lot and I'm following recommended eating. I just want to be normal again.

2. The pain and discomfort of trying to learn to eat and drink again. It's an awful feeling. The acid-reflux can also be painful - I'd never experienced it.

Thank you for your input. I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. Life has seasons. Seasons change. Hopefully your new happier healthier season will begin soon. I'll have to remember to prepare for acid-reflux. Thanks for that advice. :-)

1. I would do it again. I've lost weight before but the difference here is even when my heart isn't into it, I can't really fall off the wagon like I used to. At least at first, it takes some of the choice out of dieting and makes it much easier to succeed.

2. Most definitely and I'm going to try to keep this to the biggest things. I'm surprised at how much I've thrown up. I've thrown up more in the past 3 months than probably my whole life combined. Mostly it's my fault for not eating slow or chewing good enough and apparently I'm a slow learner because it still happens a few times a week. I was also surprised that I didn't lose weight faster. I have since made peace with this but I had certain expectations and was disappointed when I didn't drop the weight at the rate I expected. And finally, I was surprised to find out how much of an emotional eater I am. When you can physically no longer medicate with food, it's exposes those little emotional nerves. I didn't realize I was doing it to the level that I was. But I still have the urge to eat a really big, fattening meal and I know this is an emotional and irrational urge but a real one just the same.

Your success is inspiring! Thank you for responding. I'm learning by "listening" to people who have gone before me in this that it takes time and that slow and steady really does win the race. As for the emotional eating - I think this is going to be a big wake-up call for me...but I think it will probably prompt me to journal more and (eventually) to take my frustrations on a long run through the local park. I used to love to run when I was thinner.

Best wishes to you, and congrats on the new you. :-)

Thank you for your input. I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. Life has seasons. Seasons change. Hopefully your new happier healthier season will begin soon. I'll have to remember to prepare for acid-reflux. Thanks for that advice. :-)

My surgeon prescribed 40mg of omeprazole (Prilosec) for the first two months post-op and then recommended that if I had any continued issues with acid reflux, I continue just taking the over-the-counter dosage of 20mg daily. That's what I've been doing and it's kept the reflux at bay. When I tried going off of it completely at the two month mark, I was definitely having reflux issues pretty much right away, so I quickly went out and bought the over-the-counter version and have been taking it since.

As for the poster who mentioned vomiting a lot, I have not done that at all. I had a little dry heaving the first day post-op, but nothing since. Everyone reacts differently.When I eat too much or too fast, I just get very uncomfortably full feeling (like I'm going to burst) and I burp. I burped a lot more in the beginning, not so much now. In the beginning I would say that a lot of the burping was "productive burping" in that I could feel/taste my food coming back up into my throat, but not like vomiting. There were no spasms and heaving like with vomiting. And, like I said, I don't have that problem nearly as much 19 weeks post-op. When I overeat now, it's just the feeling like I'm going to burst thing. And I am better about not overeating in the first place now, though still not 100%.

Edited by JamieLogical

My surgeon prescribed 40mg of omeprazole (Prilosec) for the first two months post-op and then recommended that if I had any continued issues with acid reflux, I continue just taking the over-the-counter dosage of 20mg daily. That's what I've been doing and it's kept the reflux at bay. When I tried going off of it completely at the two month mark, I was definitely having reflux issues pretty much right away, so I quickly went out and bought the over-the-counter version and have been taking it since.

As for the poster who mentioned vomiting a lot, I have not done that at all. I had a little dry heaving the first day post-op, but nothing since. Everyone reacts differently.When I eat too much or too fast, I just get very uncomfortably full feeling (like I'm going to burst) and I burp. I burped a lot more in the beginning, not so much now. In the beginning I would say that a lot of the burping was "productive burping" in that I could fell/taste my food coming back up into my throat, but not like vomiting. There were no spasms and heaving like with vomiting. And, like I said, I don't have that problem nearly as much 19 weeks post-op. When I overeat now, it's just the feeling like I'm going to burst thing. And I am better about not overeating in the first place now, though still not 100%.

Thank you! I'm sure this isn't going to be pleasant for me, but neither is all of the pain I feel daily in my back, knees, and feet. Good to know about the reflux.