Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term regrets?

Hi. Not sleeved yet but just wondering if there are any long term sleevers out there that have regrets after 10-15 years post surgery?

I think 10-15yr veterans will be null and void because the sleeve hasn't been around for that long. So you might want to lower your veteran requirements :) I am just over a year out and have no regrets, but the usual, should have done it sooner!

I had not even heard of the sleeve until I went to my primary to ask about a lap band. I have had my sleeve for a year - no complications - no regrets.

@dropdeadweightdiva Of course you don't. You have lost more pounds than you have left. That is so inspiring!

@@*Lexie*

Thank you for your kinds words, that's sweet. :) So anyone who says the sleeve isn't as effective as RNY, so there.. :)

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

I agree it hasn't been around very long and I am only 2 weeks in but I love it so far. Have so much energy and the weight is falling off. And havent had diabetic drugs or insullin since liquid diet a month ago. Very little pain and was back to work in a week.

Haha dropdeadwright...I think the sleeve is better honestly..

@allyray There are some long term vets who vlog on youtube, like AmySDMOM, she's over 5 years out, I've been watching all her vids the past few days. Just search "VSG" or "WLS" on youtube and they are out there. =)

I am 19 months post op and I can truly say I have absolutely no regrets! My life has been made anew and am so grateful for this chance! I waited a long time to do this and knew when I did it I had to be ready. It is a total and complete life long life change that you must stick with. Having said that I have days that are tougher than others but they are few and far apart. If you can say you a truly ready you will never regret it........I feel that their are some who rush into without the full realization of the life change and what it takes to keep it up. Those sadly are the ones who gain their weight back and struggle on a daily basis. However they to can succeed when they accept the change and power through the tough days. I wish you the best! :)

I am supposed to set a date tomorrow, but I am still unsure, nervous, scared and so many emotions in between...

Is it worth the stress and hassle of maintaining nourishment and keeping up with Vitamins? Its a lot of responsibility. is it worth not being able just socially drink or go out to eat with friends?? do you feel like you're missing out??do you miss being ABLE to eat.

Edited by xmaleengyx

I am supposed to set a date tomorrow, but I am still unsure, nervous, scared and so many emotions in between...

Is it worth the stress and hassle of maintaining nourishment and keeping up with Vitamins? Its a lot of responsibility. is it worth not being able just socially drink or go out to eat with friends?? do you feel like you're missing out??do you miss being ABLE to eat.

I don't think you know what gastric sleeve surgery is all about yet. I encourage you to keep studying.

You seem to think it means you can't drink or eat post-op, that VSG surgery causes malabsorption like gastric bypasses -- it doesn't, or that you have to eat some odd diet the rest of your life, or that you have to take expensive, strange combinations of Vitamins and minerals. It doesn't mean any of that, at least not to me.

At not yet 5 months post-op, I go out to dinner with friends, I have a glass of wine, and I can eat everything I want (although because I'm still losing weight I choose NOT to eat everything I want). I take a Centrum senior chewable Vitamin and two Calcium pills a day (no biggie).

Obviously, we choose post-op to eat in a way that helps us lose weight. But long-term, the folks here who are maintaining eat (typically) 1400 - 1600 calories a day. That's what normal people eat. They also exercise and/or move more than they used to.

HOWEVER ... if it bothers you that in order to be successful long-term you won't be able to eat 2,500 - 3,000 calories a day and eat lots of carbs, then this surgery is not for you. In fact, no weight loss regimen will be successful for you if those things are important to you.

You've read it before (or maybe you haven't) that the sleeve is a very helpful tool for long-term weight loss and maintenance success. But it is a tool that YOU have to use. You have to be committed to weight loss and weight loss maintenance.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the insight. Im glad to hear you can still eat and drink what you want but in smaller portions. I'm totally fine with being able to do that from time to time on those special occasions.I was worried that I'd never be able to enjoy a birthday party or the holidays or any special event ever again. Or that id make other people uncomfortable for not being able to participate or join them. The pre op nutrition class left me weary. The nutritionist said for the rest of my life I can only eat food that is cut into pencil eraser top sizes and chew each tiny piece 30-40 times before swallowing...I mean what's the point? Might as well opt for a liquid feeding tube. It sounded exhausting to always eat this way and that it would take hours to finish one meal. Also, I was disappointed when the nutritionist told me I could never eat certain foods again. she also discussed the medication for life afterwards. It would be a Vitamin 3 times a day with Calcium in between each one. maybe this varies by state and doctors. But this makes me a bit nervous that I'm going to be at risk for health issues like malnourishment.

Also, im in 4 weddings this year in which I am maid of honor for 2, which has me stressed. my window for the preop 2week liquid and surgery recovery is small. the doctor has told me I cannot drink alcohol for a year! which concerns me when it comes to not missing out on bachelorette parties they are once in a life time experiences. I feel as if I will be ruining my sisters and best friends experience bc we won't be able to make the traditional memories they are expecting. To have my surgery I will have to sacrifice a lot for my health,but I feel my health should come first. It's just that all these scenarios and dilemmas are weighing heavy on my heart.I think it would be more important to my sister that i look good for her wedding standing next to her than making bachelorette and bridal shower memories.

Thank you all for your responses!! I felt alone. I think my biggest fear is the surgery in general. I just need to be strong and work hard to keep my nerves aND anxiety in check.I'm 26 but hospitals and needles make me a 2year old baby crying for my mom....it's always a scene getting blood drawn and my edoscopy done and it's ALWAYS embarrassing! Lol.

Last question, do they make you use a catheter? Because If so, I honestly don't think I could go through with it. My dear and anxiety couldn't handle that violating and painful situation.

@xmaleengyx Hopefully as it gets closer your anxiety will ease up, taking control of your health is so much more important. You will still be able to enjoy the bachelorette parties and make memories if you do not drink. You can even volunteer to be a designated driver if one is needed, otherwise you'll be the person with the steadiest pics and who will have the clearest memory to be able to poke at other later. Focus on the positive! The memories are more about being together and having a good time with your closest people than getting sloshed together. I have no clue what or how much people drank at my bachelorette party, I don't even think about that part, I've never thought about the drinking once, I just remember we had fun and getting drunk wasn't the catalyst to the fun. Becoming a healthier and better you is what is most important. =) You have plenty of life left to live, it'll be a blink of an eye and you'll be able to do the things you enjoy again.

@@xmaleengyx

I can drink socially now a year out... Just be aware that it hits you much more quickly so be careful and it's not something you want to do on a regular basis. Also I can now eat anything anyone else eats, just way less. It is more than worth the effort of surgery, recovery, adjusted eating, Vitamins, etc etc etc.... I know some people do have aversions to certain foods post op, but they make it work by discovering new options. The only regrets I have ever seen are those with complications and even then further out most say they would still do it all over again. You can always set a date and if you aren't absolutely certain when it rolls around, cancel or postpone it. If you have the opportunity to set a date, take it! Others on here would mame and kill for your opportunity to be that close lol

As far as a catheter goes I never had one, and I believe it isn't common practice. If they do it goes in while you are under and it is uncomfortable to remove but because they want you up and walking very soon after surgery the likelihood of needing one is next to zero.. They only do them for those who are unable to get up to use the washroom with or without help.

The first week of recovery sucks, expect that. As long as you did your research on your doctor, trust your team. VSG they parallel to having your gall bladder removed, same stats ish lol...

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

Almost four months out and no regrets. There were a few fleeting seconds when I was jealous of others pigging out over Christmas, but the fact that over 60 pounds are gone forever is worth it. I had one piece of chocolate at Thanksgiving (which is all I wanted), and fresh strawberries at Christmas.

That and the satisfaction of clearing my closet all the way down to the smallest sizes. Charity got eight big big bags of clothes. And I went shopping and now own really cute bras for the first time!

Who knew how fun that would be! I have a secret smile because I know I am wearing cute underwear. No regrets. food and drink is a moment's pleasure, but weight gone is forever.