Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People need to Calm Down....Relax

Right after surgery, everybody looses weight...lap band or no, we are on a strict post-op diet starting with Clear liquids and slowly progressing. Who wouldn't loose weight? And yet people give credit to the band.

At this stage, the Lap Band is doing nothing, IMO....it was installed and nothing more.(there are a FEW EXCEPTIONS...very few)

And let's face it...people who have much to loose, will loose more than the next person not quite so heavy.

So when someone says "I Lost 50 lbs, blah blah blah, the next person should not feel bad only loosing 10lbs.

I know people who could loose 50lbs if they skipped dinner! (only joking)

There are people here who start at 400lbs and loose over 200, and people who start at 225 and only loose 75....so which is more difficult?

So don't let the #'s intimidate you...it's all relative.

I had my first fill 4 weeks after surgery, and it was 4cc's....after that, I began to gain weight because it also the time I came off the post-op diet and began eating normal food again. DUH!

That first fill did absolutely nothing.

Had my second fill of 2cc's, 4 weeks after that, = 8 weeks from surgery.

The band began to do something....I didn't loose weight, but I did not gain either.

All this time I was being told and reminded to count calories, measure portions, stay away from certain foods/drink, etc...ALL the things I could have done (and have done) without surgery, the time and anxiety put into preparing for this, not to mention the $$.

Talk about Frustration!! I felt it was a big Rip Off!

Came back 4 weeks after that, = 12 weeks from surgery for my 3rd, (and final) fill. THAT one put me over the top.Pushed me off the edge!

Could not keep anything down. Feared I was going to be malnourished, etc. I was free falling!

Many people would have gone back to get it taken out, get back within their comfort zone......but my Dr. (who knows ME and not YOU) talked me into sticking it out, talked me into slowing down my eating, choice of foods, all those thing etc, etc.

Also said if I did get that last (small) fill removed, it would put me back to where I was after my 2nd fill...did I want that?

I'm glad he did...it took weeks - months for things to start to find that groove, but it did all start to fall in line.

That elusive "Fine balance - Harmony" where the band performs splendidly. The true "Green Zone"

I quess my point is, this thing DOES WORK, but it is not going to work immediately...it is adjustable and it takes time, sometimes with trial and error, to get it right.

And it is not just the band that gets adjusted along the way...we too have to get adjusted to the Lap Band. And that is key to success.

Lap Band Surgery will "Change Your Life" but you have to ready and willing for change. And that can be very frustrating and take some time. Even though my last needed fill was 12 weeks from surgery, and the weight began to steadily and consistently come off, a year later I was still learning lessons, Life changing lessons...most times the hard and unpleasant way. Did not mean the band is at fault.

I'm 4 years out, and I can do something right now, this moment, that would cause a very negative reaction with my band. Does not mean my band is at fault...it means I just did something I should never do...simple, yet it did take time to learn the difference.

If people told me 4 years ago what and how little I would be eating today, and still be healthy and full of energy, I would have said they were blowing smoke up my you know what.

And yet here I am at that place, and to tell new people this, would be accepted the same as I would have 4 years ago.

This is the internet, and 1000's of people come and go here all the time. And I have read people's posts about frustration and feelings of failure (many of which are way pre-mature...give it a chance) when in fact I sense they are not willing to accept change. (still talking about pizza and cheese burgers, etc? Really?)

Not all, but some. There are people who legitimately have problems, complications. But we, strangers on the internet can ever tell what is going on.

They can't understand why they keep getting stuck...There's something wrong with their band...maybe there is, and maybe it's not the band....no one on the internet can tell for sure.

That is why it is best, IMO, it's best for people to simply share their own experiences, AT ALL LEVELS, good and bad, positive and negative...

Ok, it's 4am on a Sunday, I'm rambling on with my morning coffee before heading to the gym at 6...nothing more, just rambling..and pehaps ranting.

Edited by B-52

Good post, as usual.

I like that B-52! It is something to put in my back pocket and remember along the way. I haven't started the full journey yet, but getting close. Thanks for your insight!

This was just what I needed to hear/see this morning.

I'm going to love these forums- soooooo much support :-)

Another great post B-52

My goal is to someday be a morning person so I can be at the gym by 6:00 am..... probably won't happen any time soon:) Great post. Really defines the amount of work you need to put into this journey.

This post is exactly what I needed to read. I had my band "installed" Nov 14 and am heading up to my 4th fill and feeling zero restriction. On my last trip to Dr I questioned the fact that I even had a lap band? I'm starting to feel like I've wasted my time, money, effort. I haven't put on any weight in that time but simply remained the same. I started my journey at 92kg (not sure what that is in pounds). I just want this bloody thing to start working.

Totally on point!! We all are different bodies and different metabolisms. I lost 26.1 pounds at my first fill which was 3 weeks after surgery. I found out at the first fill that my band was primed with 2 CCs at the time of surgery. While I lost the weight, it was due to the liquid diet and the caution required for recouperating after surgery. But, that period also was a time to re-learn how to eat, how to chew, what to avoid, etc.

I enjoy your posts. I too am a morning person so I get up between 4 and 4:30 and go down to my basement where I have a spin bike. 1 - 2 hrs of exercise 6 days a week. When weather improves I bike outside and love it. At 62 (just about 63) feel healthier than ever. Planning on several bike rides one being a century this summer. Did start grazing so I am working on focusing on the band again and listening to it. It does work and has been the best decision for myself I have ever made. Life is good!

I love your posts!

Really good post B

Took some of us quite a while to learn to live with our band. A real re education of some life long habits

After years, I hope it stays second nature to eat right and make good choices????

Ps. Don't call when you awaken at 4 AM. Haha