Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Approval...How long does it take?

Hello all! I am new to this site and I just got my papers submitted to insurance last week. How long did it take to get the approval after your documents were submitted? Does anyone have UMR or State employee insurance that can shed some light on this process?

It varies for everyone. Some people get approved in 2 days. I don't have your insurance, but for me I submitted on Dec. 2nd, received a letter/fax from insurance on Dec 18th requesting more info (which just seemed like a way to prolong things), which my surgeon sent them the info the same day, and then they took until Jan 2nd to approve me...so a full month for me to get approval. Good luck! The wait was driving me insane ;)

Thank you @champagne301...I really hope it is less than 30 days and no more documents are needed. I called them and they told me they were taking about 30 days right now to complete pre-authorizations. Oh well its out of my hands now.... :blush: Good luck with your surgery! I would love to hear how your post-op is going. I hope to be a few weeks at most behind you for my procedure.

Edited by time4change15

Thank you, and I'm sure I'll be around updating afterwards :) When they asked for more info, they wanted 3 things: proof that I didn't have endocrine disease or stomach ulcers (which was already sent to them via the many tests and labs I had done during the pre-op work-up, and clinical proof I was smoke-free for 6 weeks...which my Surgeon's team just wrote a letter vouching for me and apparently that was good enough. Maybe it took so lond since it was the end of the year, combined with the hoidays, but at least the approval came in finally, and I am SO looking forward to my date now. You will be there soon...I'd tell you to have patience, but I lack that, LOL...so just hang in there! ;)

Will do! It wouldn't do any good to tell me to be patient as I would never be able to! Lol...Thanks again and best wishes to you on your journey!