Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely new to this... can anyone answer my questions?

I have contemplated the idea of the sleeve for a very long time and have recently taken a very serious look at it. I am 273 pounds which is the biggest I've ever been, it seem that every time I lose weight I gain it back plus some extra to boot. I have 2 young boys and constantly find it hard to keep up with them and it's breaking my heart. I would like to do something for me now that will help me be a better me... for them. This is something that is very new though, I haven't even talked to my doctor about a referral to see if I qualify for the surgery, I just assume that I would and hope that my insurance will approve me. I have read different reviews on the sleeve, looked at youtube videos, read varies blogs and looked up the procedure, qualifications and complication, but still feel like there is so much that I don't know about what happens after the surgery. I am hoping that some of you may be able to help with that understanding so here goes my questions.

Will I have to be on multiple different Vitamins for the rest of my life after the surgery?

Is acid reflux something that is going to be a problem for the rest of my life after the surgery? (it seems practically everyone who has gotten the surgery claims of acid reflux problems)

How long are you on a liquid only diet and what comes after the liquid diet and how long does that last?

Will I have to drink Protein shakes for the rest of my life after surgery or will I be able to gain my Protein through food?

Can I add ice to my Protein Shakes post op?

Will I ever be able to have little bites of something delicious such as sugars or simple carbs or am I giving those up for the rest of my life?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone could give.

post-245155-0-94040300-1420910043_thumb.jpg

@@mami2two

1) Yes.

2) Possibly, but it can be managed with meds and avoiding reflux causing foods. Many obese people with reflux have hiatal hernias that they may be unaware of, and reputable bariatric surgeons will repair that type of hernia during a VSG. Sometimes the repair solves the reflux problem; sometimes not.

3) The pre and post diet requirements vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon and sometimes individual to individual. I've seen posts where members had no pre-op diet at all and others who had to do 4 wks. Same thing post-operatively. Some people had to do liquids ranging a couple of days to a month before their diet was advanced, others started pureéd foods while still in the hospital. This answer will be specific to the surgeon you choose.

4) No, and you shouldn't. The shakes are designed to help you meet Protein and caloric requirements when you can't eat food right after surgery. The goal is too glean all of your Protein from healthy foods (lean meats etc.). Some people use one shake or smoothie per day to help maximize meeting their protein goals.

5) Yes, but it may make the shakes extra frothy and bubbly, which may cause excess gas and make them harder to consume.

6) Yes, you will be able to eat those things but ideally should happen after you've eaten your protein and vegetables. People tend to find that simple carbs create a slippery slope. Highly processed foods are easily tolerated (called "sliders".....chips, Cookies etc.) and the things that are supposed to be eaten cause more digestive difficulties at times. So, consuming those types of food can be problematic for some people - meaning old bad habits proliferate and weight loss is slow or regaining weight occurs.

Hope this helps! Keep reading and doing lots of research and good luck with whatever you decide!

BitterSweet*,

absolutely excellent answers!!

mami2two

Good luck on your decision and wishing you the the very best.

Kathleen

Have you attended an informational seminar? Most if not all surgeons offer them for free....I highly recommend it. My surgeon actually required it. The surgeon will go over all types of WLS, answer questions, etc and usually there are WLS patients there to talk to in person.

I would suggest going to multiple information seminars of surgeons in your area. Obtain as much information from them as you can

1. Yes it is likely that you will be on Vitamins and supplements for life. The exact amount can vary but needs to be monitored with blood test. Initially every three months, eventually it may be yearly.

No eventually your body adjust.

That varies from program to program.I had no pre-op diet and was only on full liquids for 2 weeks post op.

Nope, the goal is to get all of your Protein through food. Many of us choose to use the occasional Protein shake to supplement.

Yup, I add tons of ice.

It's best to avoid them early out, but the goal is to be able to eat sensible amounts of everything.

The best thing to do is locate an informational seminar in your area. They will review the various types of WLS and the pros & cons of each. They can also answer any questions you have as to the specific requirements for their program.

I would suggest going to multiple information seminars of surgeons in your area. Obtain as much information from them as you can

I did exactly that! I went to 3 and "met" 3 surgeons and chose the one I liked.

Will I have to be on multiple different Vitamins for the rest of my life after the surgery?

Nope, at least I am not. I tend to be bad at taking Vitamins, because they have always made my stomach unhappy even before surgery. I take gummy vitamins when I remember and Calcium when I remember and otherwise I am a terrible example of Vitamin protocol, but all of my blood work is normal and I am 15 months post op, so fortunately the food I eat seems to fill that particular void.

Is acid reflux something that is going to be a problem for the rest of my life after the surgery? (it seems practically everyone who has gotten the surgery claims of acid reflux problems)

Hopefully not. I first started getting acid reflux about a month before surgery, which was truly horrible, and as it turns out the result of a hiatal hernia. They fixed the hiatal hernia during my surgery, which is fairly common to include in the surgery, and I have literally not had acid reflux once since.

How long are you on a liquid only diet and what comes after the liquid diet and how long does that last?

Your doctor's requirements may vary. I was on a no water/food diet for 2 days following surgery, then Clear Liquids for 5 days, then full liquids for 1-2 weeks-ish, then soft foods, and I was eating normal foods at about a month.

Will I have to drink Protein shakes for the rest of my life after surgery or will I be able to gain my Protein through food?

I don't do Protein Shakes. They are not my particular cup of tea. I didn't drink them before surgery and I don't drink them now. To make sure you get enough protein it's a good idea to have them during your full liquids stage, but in an ideal world when you are eating normal food you should be able to get your protein from normal food and not protein shakes. For example, today I had oatmeal, with granola mixed in, and peaches. It works out to about 10-15g protein. For lunch, which I am eating right now I'm having the new Panera Quinoa chicken bowl which has a whopping 35g protein for 410 calories. I probably won't eat the entire thing or even close to it, but I'll eat the rest tomorrow or even later today when I get hungrier again. For dinner, I'll have salmon which has a decent amount of protein. I am usually a little low on my protein intake, but if you hate protein shakes, you don't really need to drink them if you're really cognizant of what you're eating.

Can I add ice to my protein shakes post op?

Yes, as long as you aren't swallowing chunks of ice right after surgery.

Will I ever be able to have little bites of something delicious such as sugars or simple carbs or am I giving those up for the rest of my life?

Little bites is all you will ever get, lol. I regularly have a few bites of cake at birthday parties, a bite or two of pie, maybe a cookie here and there. Last night we made the Pioneer Woman mystery bites, which are basically pillsbury muffin dough baked with butter and blue cheese. Kind of a heart attack on a pan, but really good. I had one (which is about two bites) and then I had a bite of another one as I was tossing out the leftovers and I was completely happy with that much. I know that if I eat a lot of sugar or fatty foods, I get dumping, which is particularly unpleasant. Plenty of people can eat a lot of junk food without an issue, so you are most certainly not giving it up for the rest of your life.

The goal is to be able to eat anything you want, just in tiny tiny portions. Life is not about veggies and baked chicken for every meal and with the sleeve, after you've gone through recovery after surgery, you still get to enjoy everything, you just don't do so in large quantities anymore.

Looks like you've gotten some great answers and since every individual's experience varies, I'll throw my two cents in.

1) Per my surgeon's instructions, I take one Flintstones chewable Vitamin a day.

2) I have suffered from acid reflux for years and I even have Barrett's esophagus from years of being untreated because I am allergic to omeprazole. I took protonix prior to surgery and I take it now. However, since I am eating so much healthier, and not a lot of grease like before, I haven't had a single problem since surgery.

3) The answer already given for this, that all surgeon's require different things and it could be based on your own individual circumstances, is the best answer you are going to get until you talk to an actual surgeon. I had 5 days liquid diet preoop and one week of liquids post op. According to my doctor, this was based on my BMI which was 49 day of surgery.

4) You should eventually adjust your lifestyle enough to include enough healthy, Protein rich foods so you don't need a Protein shake every day. However, this will also depend on your activitiy level once you reach maintenance. If you find you're running marathons every weekend, you'll probably need the extra boost. But for a regular lifestyle, your diet should give you everything you need.

5) I don't know anything about adding ice to your shakes but the response above about making them frothier and possibily causing gas seems to make sense so you'll just have to try it and see.

6) The sleeve doesn't come with dumping syndrome problems like the bypass does so you will absolutely be physically able to eat anything you want....eventually. Well, actually everyone is different and some people can't handle certain foods after surgery but in general, you won't have any problems. But that's why you will hear many times throughout your journey that the surgery is only a tool. It will not keep you from eating cakes and candies. You will have to make the decision on your own. Now, that being said.....we're all human, and if we had willpower made of stone we wouldn't be going through our own journeys. An occasional taste or sample isn't going to hurt anything. We want to live well rounded lifestyles and be healthier but we're not saints. I've had candy since my surgery. Yes, I knew I shouldn't, yes it stalled my weight loss, yes I learned from it. But it wasn't the end of the world. I got right back on track and just kept moving forward. The sleeve helps you do that. It's not a fad diet, it's a lifestyle change. So don't go into this thinking you're going to have to give up everything and live off vegetables for the rest of your life. You won't. You will learn how to make better decisions and do everything in moderation. I'm only 2 months post op but I've lost almost 50 pounds in those two months and I wouldn't change it for the world. Good luck to you. I highly recommend staying active on this site as there are so many ways it will support you and provide you with the answers you undoubtedly have.

Edited by beachgurl84

Thank you soooo much to all of you that took the time out to reply to my post, I know time is precious and I appreciate all of you sharing some of your time to help me out.

Everyones advice has been wonderful and I feel like I already have a little bit better of an understanding of it all. I was not aware of any information groups, but I will definitely be looking into them Someone also mentioned that she actually found the doctor she had for her surgery at the information session she went to which is so awesome, I really want to make sure I'm picking a good doctor.

Just for clarification, I don't intend on eating a bunch of stuff that's bad for me after the surgery if I choose to have it. LOL. I think I may have worded that wrongly, but I just wanted to have a true understanding that if I wanted to take a taste of something in extreme moderation, if I would be sick after it or what that looked like.

The tip about the froth and it causing gas by putting ice in Protein shakes was an awesome tip, I had never even thought of that honestly.

It sounds like most everything is just by a surgeon to surgeon or person to person basis and that is fair enough, I can completely accept that every surgeon has different rules and that everyones bodies respond differently to things.

Again I thank you all for taking the time, for you help and for you support, I appreciate it greatly.

I don't get that frothiness with my shakes, but I don't add ice until after I make it. That's just to keep it cold and sneak in a bit more Water.< /p>

Is acid reflux something that is going to be a problem for the rest of my life after the surgery?

This video I've linked below is very informative. The Dr. here also explains how technique is the primarily reason for acid reflux and is not an inherent. Check it out: https://www.lapsf.com/live-sleeve-gastrectomy-surgery/

Hope this helps, it was great news to me:)

Is acid reflux something that is going to be a problem for the rest of my life after the surgery?

This video I've linked below is very informative. The Dr. here also explains how technique is the primarily reason for acid reflux and is not an inherent. Check it out: https://www.lapsf.com/live-sleeve-gastrectomy-surgery/

This was awesome, I watched the video and it really did answer alot of my questions. Thank you for sharing it with me.

This was awesome, I watched the video and it really did answer alot of my questions. Thank you for sharing it with me.

This is a must see!!! Thank you so much!!!!