Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facial Hair

I am currently pre-op and I get a lot of facial hair on my chin and upper lip. For me it is a medically diagnosed hormone imbalance and was wondering does anyone else have this that has already had surgery? Did surgery affect it at all? Did it make it better or worse? Thanks

I have the same problem because of hormones I also have some melasma on my upper lip. I am 15 days post op so i havent noticed any real change yet. My dermatologist said the only real treatment for this is electrolysis and a prescription strength bleaching agent for the melasma (only to be used on that small area). The one I was prescribed was Glytone with 4% hydroquinone. I plan to start electrolysis in a couple of months but in the mean time I just shave. Some women frown upon this but it is the number one way women remove facial hair globally. Also if you do have melasma which many women do with hormonal imbalances, I learned a great makeup trick you buy a salmon or orange colored LIP PENCIL and apply it on the darkened area and smudge it in a little bit at first it will look like you have a bunch of orange on your face but your not done yet, THEN you put your concealer on. It works for me and many women on YouTube (where I learned). Hope this helps.

When I hit the menopause hormone imbalance I got a small crop of goat hairs on my chin, throught, and the corners of my upper lip. All I bother with is one of those little itty bitty detail shavers. I don't have dark spots, but if I did, I would use the old hickey trick, similar to above: green concealer, then yellow concealer over the green. You can buy them as a kit at Walgreens.

I was hoping that the hairs that I have to pluck each month on my neck and chin would go away or not come in so dark, but 8 months later, I still have to pluck every month. My mother also has some hairs like this on her neck, so I'm not sure how much of this was due to my PCOS diagnosis or heredity. But those hairs.. still there. :(

I have been reading a ton of older forum posts about this and haven't seen many people see much of a decrease in facial hair unfortunately :( I have noticed that since I cut Diet Coke out of my life (RIP Old Friend), growth for me seems to have decreased (WTF?!).

I plan on doing electrolysis eventually and have also bought a Flash n' Go. I haven't used it very much, though...so I have no idea if it will actually work. I have used it maybe 4 times and haven't noticed any difference anywhere.

Le sigh.

In Reply to the below post:

I am currently 10 mnths out of surgery and I have been noticing a huge spike in the unwanted dreadful facial, chin and chest hair. Well I think I have finally found my answer. Artificial sweeteners are bad for people with PCOS because it cause a spike in hormones which our body already don't need. As of today I am completely done with all sugars and artificial sweeteners. I will be moving over to natural sweeteners as listed below:

Artificial sweeteners have been linked with increased oestrogen levels, increased inflammation and increased testosterone levels (19). Artificial sweeteners are often found in ‘diet’ products, implying that they are healthy while the opposite is true. Natural sweeteners are a better choice if you really want to sweeten your food or drink, for instance stevia, agave Syrup, yacon syrup or Xylitol.

I hope this helps......for a list of foods that are safe and food to avoid for PCOS please check out the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/PCOS.diet.fertility.weightloss.support/posts/10151501551876981

I am currently pre-op and I get a lot of facial hair on my chin and upper lip. For me it is a medically diagnosed hormone imbalance and was wondering does anyone else have this that has already had surgery? Did surgery affect it at all? Did it make it better or worse? Thanks

Edited by livingwithpcos1984

Thanks for all your help, I'll take it all on board. I too have seen that some woman have increased facial hair post sleeve (it dos'nt seem right that you can lose head hair and have increased facial hair growth!) I have been on meds in the past for tis issue and would really like to not have to take them. I have have tried electrolysis with minimal result and was told because it was hormonal electrolysis would have minimal effect.

I too did electrolysis and had no change! It's miserable. I wax and wax and did I mention wax. I swear it's a never ending battle.

I thought laser will do a better job permanently destroying hair. It's so annoying to have to shave.

Laser is what I did 700$$ for nadda

I was also struggling with plucking an insane amount of facial hair every day pre-op. I had tweezers stashed in every purse and bathroom. I am now 7 months out from surgery and I am happy to report that I am seeing significant improvement (but not elimination) of my facial hair problems, hair is lighter, thinner and grows much slower. I run an electric razor now once a week versus the daily battle.

I didn't see the improvement though until, 1. my normal head hair stopped its significant thinning 2. I became cleared to stop birth control and 3. I stopped using store-bought makeup and face cleaning products and switched to "potions" I've made from pantry items. I have PCOS and the rapid weight loss the first 5 to 6 months (coupled with a gallbladder removal) made my hormones go crazy. But now I feel like I have achieved a more balanced state and the hair issue has eased up significantly.

Good luck to each of you as you go through the journey, everyones body is very different and I hope you enjoy the new you!

I am pre-op. I have PCOS and about 6 years ago did some laser treatment on my chin, lip and sideburns. I was shaving my chin twice a day prior to that. I only had 3 treatments. It got rid of all of the lip hair, really reduced the sideburn hair and now they are much softer and finer and reduced the chin hair so I was down to shaving once a day.

I just restarted the laser treatment. I had my 3rd session last night. It is a different type of laser. After the first treatment there was a huge difference. No more permanent 5'O clock shadow. I have a few stray hairs. Still will need a total of 6 sessions. Last night's treatment hurt and I have some red today. But it will be worth it.

I got the 6 treatment package through Groupon for less than $200.

I take Spironolactone for Hair growth issues and male patterned baldness and to prevent cysts on my face. I use electrolysis occasionally too.

My hormones went crazy after surgery and I started breaking out. The dermatologist put me on Spironolactone four months ago and I haven't had any blemishes since. It's a miracle! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. I don't even have to wear makeup anymore. This medicine also is suppose to decrease facial hair.