Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major reflux after Sleeve and herna repair

I am 3 weeks post-op today and woke up with major reflux. I cant even stand to swallow Water. My Protein shakes are making me gag and are like a rock in my throat. I already take Nexium 40 mg daily and have even tried Maalox. It isn't helping. I had a hernia repaired in this surgery as well and the first few days after the surgery I had trouble swallowing but it got better. Now its a nightmare. My surgeon says this is from the hernia repair, b ut I thought repairing this was suppose to stop or at least improve this sort of issue? I mean I am taking pretty strong RX meds for this and I even have an adjustable bed so I can sleep with my head elevated. Now I am not getting all the Protein I need nor am I getting in my Water intake. This really sucks, and I am starting to think I made a huge mistake. I don't understand how some people on here are stating they are so much better from this surgery and have so much energy. Right now I have never felt weaker, and more nauseous. Sometimes dizzy too. Anyone else out there have these problems after a hernia repair w/sleeve and what did you do to get past them? The doctors sure don't explain all this crap that can happen. We probably would never have the surgery if they did.

My doctor explained the possibility of reflux both at the informational seminar and pre-op. It's one of the reasons why he started me on omeprazole in the hospital. Thankfully my acid has not been too bad and is managed with meds. from what I understand it should decrease over time as your body adjust to the smaller tummy.

You're pretty early out, perhaps call the doctor or nutritionist in the morning and brain storm some ways to better manage the reflux. Also try looking at what foods seem to trigger the reflux the most.

I had hernia repair with sleeve, I had a lot of nausea too, I took Nexium 40 mg, and found that it just did not help, try and switch, or get the prescription strength omeprazole. That made a really big difference when I quit the Nexium and got something stronger.

I think I am going to have to try a different med. My doc said he may have stitched the hernia too tight. And the alternative fix to that is another surgery which I am not wanting anything to do with. So hopefully changing med will help. Omeprazole is stronger than Nexium?

I had a hernia repair with my surgery as well. Prior to my surgery I ALWAYS had major acid reflux, it was awful to the point where I didn't sleep well at all. I am sure my weight and sleep apnea had everything to do with it. Immediately after surgery my acid reflux went away. I am 13 weeks out in two days, and just recently I have started to feel a little acid coming on, but very little. I sit up, and maybe a small burp passes and then I am fine. It's so weird, but I pray everyday that this part of my pre-surgery health does not return. What I have heard, is sometimes patients get major acid reflux right after surgery, especially if they had a hernia repair as well, but eventually as time passes it goes away or gets much, much better.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

I had acid reflux pre-op but was well controlled on Nexuim. I started having SEVERE acid reflux at two weeks post op and ended up back in the hospital with dehydration. I was throwing up stomach acid all night long. I have to be honest and tell you I'm still struggling with reflux at 10 weeks post op, I take Nexium and Prilosec every day AND keep Rolaid chews, Tums and Gas-X with me AT ALL TIMES! My doctor assures me it will get better, but can take up to 6 months. I also had hernia repair which further complicated the problem. I sleep in a recliner at 45 degrees most nights. I also deal with coughing due to the acid in my throat.

All that said, it is getting better. I know its just one of the complications that I have to deal with. I also know that I'm down two sizes, look significantly smaller and I'm still glad I had the sleeve surgery. I'm off all my other medications, no longer have high blood pressure, elevated glucose or high cholesterol. So it really is worth it in the end! Good luck with your journey.

I had gastric sleeve and hernia repair on Feb 5th 2015. The first week I felt great, come the 2nd week oh boy!!! I had to go back to my Dr for an upper endoscopy because my stomach is inflamed and full of bile. He put me on yet another medication and said if it doesn't work we would have to do a by-pass over the sleeve. The bile makes it extremely painful to eat or drink and gurgles in my throat. And the nausea is horrible. Has anyone else had this issue and what have your Dr's suggested??? Thank you

I saw my GI doc again 2 weeks ago. I had genetic testing done that shows the efficacy of all the drugs that were in my system. It was very interesting to see that all the big gun PPi's showed that I would need to increase the dosages on them by 200%. Something that was unreasonable to do. One drug showed it was more effective at the recommended dosage---Acipex. So I am on 20 mg of it 2 x a day. I can take Milk of Magnesia or antacids and even Zantax at night if needed. But so far I am only taking the Aciphex. I am careful not to drink coffee, tea, anything acidic , nothing fried, processed. The doctor said I am suffering with bile acid too. Both GI and surgeon told me it gets better as you drop more weight. I was told about the bypass option too, but I do not want it. I went thru a lot to have this surgery, I don't want to go thru another. And there is no guarantee that will fix the problem. I read a study about Melatonin helping to coat the lining of the stomach and helping with inflammation. I stated taking 3mg at night. It also helps me sleep better. I told my doc about it, he said it was ok and it didn't interfere with my other meds. I am not suggesting it to anyone, just stating what is now working for me. I am choosing to ride it out. I still need to lose a good 90lb to see a significant pressure come off my stomach. I was told all that acid has nowhere to go but up, since our stomachs are so much smaller. So it is just a waiting game for me. I still have the lump in my throat occasionally after eating, but it goes away after about 1/2 hour. I hope it gets better for you Dawn Turpin. Hang in there. I'm down 66 lbs in 3 months. My underwear started falling down and I had to go buy some more. Hilarious problem to have!

Thank you Shannon. I spoke to my dr on the phone the other day because this is only getting worse . I researched the medication he put me on and everything and found no help. He informs me that what is going on is rare and he's only heard of it happening twice. Hmm. So to get me out of this mess that was created we have decided to just do the bypass ???? I have now lost 43 pounds but then again I cannot eat lol the pain is constant and never goes away even if I drink a ton of Pepto or eat a bottle of tums it's still there. So I kind of feel at a loss at this point and the stress of it all is not helping my fibro pain etc. Good luck to you Shannon.

@@Dawn Turpin Sorry to hear this happened to you Dawn. My surgeon said the same thing that it's rare but that's BS! I have seen people post all over these boards and some other websites about the same problem. More than a third of sleeve and band patients have this issue after the surgery and surgeons are not informing patients that this could happen and how to deal with it. I hope your bypass goes well and fixes the issue. I hope you come back and let us know how you are doing. Good luck and good vibes being sent your way!

I also had hernia repair. Had horrible reflux coughing for about the first month, (sleeping with head elevated, they doubled my omeprazole to 40 mg 2x day). It finally resolved. Once the swelling went down (6 weeks maybe) and I was symptom free. Still take the omeprazole 2x day. Some PPIs work better than others for some folks. Has your doc tried switching out your prescription?

Thank you both I will definitely come back after and let you know how things are going. Yes the dr did switch my meds and no luck ???? I have also been reading all the comments about this issue and yeah RARE???? Really? Doesn't seem to rare at this point! Have any of you had your gallbladder removed? I'm wondering if that is why I'm having such a terrible time with this

Hey guys I'm 6 days out now and I'm not sure if I'm happy at this point I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and it feels like I have really bad indigestion. My stomach hurts to sit and walk the only comfort I get is laying down with my stomach propped up. Not sure what to do I just hope as this week goes by things will start feeling better

How are the two of you holding up? And how much weight have you lost? Since my original surgery in Feb I have lost 49.9 pounds ???? but it was a rough way to do it lol

I think I am going to have to try a different med. My doc said he may have stitched the hernia too tight. And the alternative fix to that is another surgery which I am not wanting anything to do with. So hopefully changing med will help. Omeprazole is stronger than Nexium?

I'm not sure if it's stronger, but our bodies can sometimes react better to one med versus another even when they are designed to do essentially the same thing.

I had acid reflux pre-op but was well controlled on Nexuim. I started having SEVERE acid reflux at two weeks post op and ended up back in the hospital with dehydration. I was throwing up stomach acid all night long. I have to be honest and tell you I'm still struggling with reflux at 10 weeks post op, I take Nexium and Prilosec every day AND keep Rolaid chews, Tums and Gas-X with me AT ALL TIMES! My doctor assures me it will get better, but can take up to 6 months. I also had hernia repair which further complicated the problem. I sleep in a recliner at 45 degrees most nights. I also deal with coughing due to the acid in my throat.

All that said, it is getting better. I know its just one of the complications that I have to deal with. I also know that I'm down two sizes, look significantly smaller and I'm still glad I had the sleeve surgery. I'm off all my other medications, no longer have high blood pressure, elevated glucose or high cholesterol. So it really is worth it in the end! Good luck with your journey.

You might be one of the ones who does better on carafate. It appears to be stronger than Nexium and Prilosec. It might be worth it to ask your doctor about it.

Hey guys I'm 6 days out now and I'm not sure if I'm happy at this point I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and it feels like I have really bad indigestion. My stomach hurts to sit and walk the only comfort I get is laying down with my stomach propped up. Not sure what to do I just hope as this week goes by things will start feeling better

Are you on a PPI of any sort? I would suggest speaking to your doctor about getting a prescription for omeprazole or something similar. Once you address the acid issue, you can work on walking and moving more.