Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh my goodness! I am shedding so much hair! I'm a little over 3 months and am freaking out! I know it is supposed to stop at some point! What can I do? Anyone have any tips or tricks?

@@auntiemel Eeek! I really don't think there is anything you can do :( If you find something that works let us know! I Think most people end up cutting their hair short from what I've read. Sorry your having to deal with that!

I have thick hair so I'm wondering if it's more than what some people have. I've always wanted thinner hair but now I'm regretting that wish. I want my hair back! I'm thinking of getting some Biotin Shampoo. I wear my hair up in pigtails all day so I know that shedding seems worse when I'm in the shower since it doesn't have a chance to shed like people with their hair down

I had very thick hair before surgery. 3-4 months out I started losing a lot of hair. I would fill a hair brush with my hair every time I brushed. I wasn't getting in enough Protein at the beginning so I think that could be part of it. Also I tend to lose hair after a "trauma" to my body. I broke my arm once and my hair fell out a lot... I think my body just didn't react well in that small sense to the surgery. I decided to cut off 12 inches of hair (& donate it) and now I love my hair, I have an average persons amount of hair, and at about 6 months out I'm losing much less hair. The way I see it is, it's just hair and it will grow back. Losing the weight is much more important to me. Good luck! :)

Ahhh hair loss! Ugh.

I lost a lot of hair - I mean a lot of hair. I was sure I got all my Protein in and followed my doc's instruction. She said, "If you're going to lose it, you're going to lose it. There's nothing you can do to stop it, but you can take Biotin and Folic Acid for regrowth. What you lose due to the surgery will grow back."

I lost from the middle of month 2 thru to month 6. I figure I lost about 35-40% of my hair. It made me sad, it made me angry. Here's what I did...

I took my Vitamins as prescribed

I got in my Protein mins per doctor's orders

I got in my Water mins

I went to a short cut to try to hide some of the loss and added lots of layers

I purchased a product called Toppik - it's an excellent product that works exactly like the website shows

I'm just over a year now and am almost back to normal - I've kept my short cut because it looks better on my slim face. I can show off my jawline now. I just got a cut the other day and my stylist said, "I think your hair is thicker than it was before surgery!"

So, my advice to you...follow doc's orders. Know that this is a temporary situation. For me, that temporary situation was well worth it!

I take Biotin now (10 weeks post op) and I don't see it doing anything for me. Also I read on here that someone's NUT says it doesn't to anything for sleeve patients. I don't know if that's true. But my doctor and NUT said it all depends on your Protein intake! So I do 2 30g shakes and 1 30g Protein Bar and pray that's enough. I have think hair and don't want it to leave anytime ever!

I am amazed at how thin my hair has become and am thankful for thick hair. I am wearing hats and headbands so I don't get hair in food etc. Saw my dr for three month check and he said it was due to lack of Protein, however, I am getting protein in. I think if it happens it happens. But, I did start 5000 mg of Biotin. I use hairspray to hold everything in but lose enough to plug up the shower. No bald spots but, totally different for me. Hair dries in moments.

Protein, hydration, and Vitamins is all you can do. Biotin does not and will not stop or slow hair loss; it will help with regrowth once the Hair loss cycle stops.

My advice: expect hair loss, buy a cute wig and or decide on a cute haircut for if / when it occurs. Do your best to meet Protein and Water goals early on after surgery. The cause of the hair loss happens months before you actually see your hair falling out.

I've always had fine, thin hair (its naturally curly, but as you can see I flat Iron the curl out to within in inch of its life). I have not experienced any significant loss. And I did NOTHING special. I took my Vitamins. I generally got at least 60 g of Protein each day, and mostly got my Water. But I was not particularly hardcore about things if I was only 57 g of protein on one day. Hair loss is how your body reacts to trauma like surgery, and anesthesia. So if you are following the rules and eating correctly you still might lose hair depending on how your body is going to react to things.

Rock a wig. Get creative with hats and scarves. Know that hair will grow back.

@auntiemel My surgery was 3 days after yours and I've started to notice that I'm shedding much more hair than usual. I'm the person that every stylist says has more hair than anyone they've ever seen so I'm not yet to the point of being concerned.

One thing I considered doing if I do lose too much hair is getting extensions. Anyone try that and have success with it? I've never done it before but always wanted to.

@ *Lexie*, do not, and I repeat do not use extensions while experiencing hair loss. Been there done that. Made it worse.

The tension that extensions place on the hair just makes more shed out. It's not as bad with clip ins, but glue ins are a total no no, and sew in weaves will cause extreme matting. I've experienced Hair loss 4 times and I've tried it all.

Cut it into a new style or wear a wig if it gets really bad.

I will be 11 weeks out on Monday and I am keeping an eye on my hair everyday. I have not noticed any extra loss either in the shower or styling it. But I am 1 week and 1/2 from the 12 week mark so I am watching.

I have an apt on Saturday to highlight and cover my lovely grays so I am hoping that doesn't bother it. I am knocking on wood that what I lose will only be noticeable to me and not everyone else.

But the way I feel already with my 57lbs lost I will deal with Hair loss if it comes my way. Especially since most is temporary!!