Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec 30 rny and still in pain?

Had my bypass December 30th was discharged home 2 days later. This pain in the left side of my stomach brings me to tears daily. With certain moves I make. I try and be so careful getting up and down but I feel like such a sharp pain when I lay down, get up, get down, even walking I clench that side of my stomach because if I let go the pain comes and almost brings me to my knees. I know some ppl recover quicker then others and I am a bit of a worry wart but seriously I can't find relief unless I lay done with heat on my tummy. How is that proactive for my healing process? :( I sure hope I get better. I was so very hopeful for this surgery for myself and my future but at the cost of this much agony cause I couldn't control my eating? Damn me.

I am a very slow healer. I was in pain/discomfort longer than most. I utilized my pain meds and did everything I was told to do. I asked for assistance (I arranged for help for 2 weeks) when getting up and even laying down. I felt some burning, pulling and almost ripping pain. I was hunched over for a while as well. I was given an abdominal binder and that helped me tremendously. Heat is an excellent tool because it accelerates the healing process along with hydration and Protein. I am now 8 months out and have absolutely no regrets. I am 10 pounds from my surgeon's goal and I have gotten rid of several medical conditions and eliminated medications. Listen to your body...when it says no...don't do it! You will continue to progress...if however you feel as though this pain is unbearable or unusual or accompanied with additional symptoms by all means contact your doctor. This is part of their job. Post-surgical care is absolutely part of their commitment to you as their patient. In the mean time try to just relax and take this opportunity to educate yourself not only on the next phases of your diet but start pinning recipes. Have a game plan. Hope this helps you out????

Newlifeb, I also had bypass on 12/30! I'm still having some pain in that incision as well, but it didn't sound as bad as yours. I over did it on Saturday around the house so yesterday I found that if I hold into that incision when I sit, lean, get up, that it helps. It was stressed to me before hand that the incision on the left is where the doctor sews up everything Very tight. There's a lot of work right inside there. Try and take it easy. Yes we do have to get up and move, but we also just had major surgery. I hope your pain ends soon, or at least gets better very soon:-)

If it gets too bad then definitely call your doctor. But also remember you JUST had surgery! If I recall correctly not even a week ago. You had things cut, moved, stapled, etc. It's going to involve some pain. Take your pain meds if you need them. Take it easy except to go for short walks. HOpe you feel better soon.

I had major left side pain for most of three weeks. My NP was surprised that at my two week check up, I was still using pain medication. I'll 4 weeks post-op on Wednesday. About the middle of last week, my pain went away, seemingly over night. I still get twinges if I over do, but, I can get up and down on my own and am finally able to sleep in a bed like a normal person! Hang in there! It will get better soon!

I had a lot of pain for two weeks after surgery. It takes time... hang in there!!

Had my bypass December 30th was discharged home 2 days later. This pain in the left side of my stomach brings me to tears daily. With certain moves I make. I try and be so careful getting up and down but I feel like such a sharp pain when I lay down, get up, get down, even walking I clench that side of my stomach because if I let go the pain comes and almost brings me to my knees. I know some ppl recover quicker then others and I am a bit of a worry wart but seriously I can't find relief unless I lay done with heat on my tummy. How is that proactive for my healing process? :( I sure hope I get better. I was so very hopeful for this surgery for myself and my future but at the cost of this much agony cause I couldn't control my eating? Damn me.

My surgery was Dec 15. All my incisions healed beautifully but I have pain on my left lower side. Looking at an anatomy chart my pain is a ligament that is in the lower abdoman. Is that where yours is? I purchased a belly band like those used for pregnancies and it really helped. I'm hoping eventually it works itself out. Ill be asking the surgeon next week.

It is in the incision where most all the work took place. I spoke with my surgeons np today and she told me to take 2 doses of Children's ibprofen because the pain she says I'm experiencing is severe inflammation. Just my insides are super iratated and sensitive. I have to call her back tomm night to see if it's any better. I knew I would be in pain, just didn't know it would hurt me this bad. Literally burning stabbing and takes my breath away

Not the same thing then. I hope it resolves soon!

Wow, you all sound like me except my RNY was 12/17!I am STILL having significant pain in that same area. I got the abdominal binder yesterday and I think it feels worse with that on! I also was prescribed flexeril which is a muscle re!axer and it doesn't help much if at all. I haven't tried a heating pad though so I'm gonna go get mine after this post. Also using pain meds which help except I'm almost out and not sure if Dr will refill.

I am 4 weeks post op and had that sharp stabbing pain in the left for most of that time. I kept going back to my doctor as I was worried. I still get aches and pains but a few days ago the sharp stabbing pain just stopped. It's feels like recover is so slow.

Well I am pleased to see I'm not the only one :( sorry guys y'all are feeling/felt this way to. Would not wish this on anyone. I hope it doesn't last much longer I am ready to get back to work,independence, and just my life. This pain is really weighing on my emotions. Same thing everyday... Waking up in the middle of the night even fumbling trying to get up solo to get my meds. Over it! Trying to keep a positive mind frame for my future

Im 23 days out. I went to my pcp today about this pain and she ordered an ultrasound to rule out hernia. She also said it could be I'm full of crap.....literally lol. So I'm taking stool softeners and upping Water intake. I'm hopeful this brings an end to this pain so I can move forward!!!

I think I had that! And, yes, it was the food moving past the area that was cut/sutured and still healing. When the food passes through, it can hurt. There will be another time, and I think it's at 6 months, where you will feel like there is broken glass inside somewhere but apparently that is just the final staples dissolving! lol.

Hi I'm sorry that you are in so much pain have you contacted by our doctor and inform them of your pain, please let them know I used a heating pad and on the gas came out I felt like a million bucks please try and go your to walk keep us posted on your progress .