Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 12/18/14...since my preop all liquid diet (1 week), I am down 23 lbs. My start weight was 313.

I am having panicky anxious moments where I just become overwhelmed with the feeling that I am not doing as good as I should. My doctor did not give me really detailed instructions on how I should eat or which Vitamins I should take. They gave me some paperwork with a diet and recommended Vitamins listed but no one really ever went over this information with me. I feel like I am just 'winging' it trying to figure out how to eat and which vitamins to take. I have been doing some research and trying to get some good info online. I went for my post op appt a couple of days ago, and my dr told me I can start introducing solids back into my diet. When I asked him about my diet and vitamins, he just had the nurse give me the same paperwork that I already had.

Currently I am taking:

B12

Calcium citrate

Biotin

Iron

Multi-Vitamin

I am trying to eat around 800 calories per day and take in 60 grams of Protein.

I do not want to fail at this!!

Hello! You're doing awesome! I was sleeved on 8/11/14 and am down 61lbs. You will average out about 2 to 3lbs a week over time. As long as you drink your Water, get in your Protein and move you will lose weight. Anything lost is a win!

Vitamins....I was told to double my Vitamins if I am taking grocery store vitamins. I take a multi Vitamin Gummy, B12, Biotin, calcium chews and D3....the recommended amount on the bottle but I do it twice a day.

I was on a thin liquid and Protein shake diet for 4 weeks and then a thick liquid/mushy diet for 2 weeks. No solids until week 6. The solid diet for a week was lean Protein, cheese, yogurt, banana, humus, cooked veggies....stuff like that. Then I started adding beef and a bite or 2 of brown rice or whole grain Pasta.

I was only able to eat 1/2 to 3/4 cups of food a day for a while but am up to about a cup now. I have 3 small meals and 2 to 3 Snacks a day....snacks are usually a cheese stick, yogurt, a small handful of nuts.....something like that. I get about 800 to 1000 calories now but in the beginning it was 500 to 700. Don't worry....things will progress as your body heals. Just don't over do it. Go slow.

You're doing everything right. Eat slow, chew well....stop when you start to feel full. I start to burp a little and I know I've had enough. The first 6 weeks it took me about 30mins to eat. Now I take about 20mins.

It gets better, it gets easier.....I promise! Best of luck to you!!

First stop worrying, I know it is easier said then done. That sucks that your doc is not giving you more guidance than that. You will find answers on here will vary from doc to doc and what works for one may not work for another. So I will share with you what my doc had/has me doing. I will be 10 weeks post op on Monday.

I was given a sheet along with a great informational book and journaling book at my required 2 1/2 hour pre op class. (Very informative and my husband and daughter went so they could hear first hand what to expect, I was surprised there were not people there with support people) I thought I wouldn't touch that journal because I would use my phone but it is my holy grail. I LOVE IT!! On my sheet were my dates for my surgery, when to do just liquids, full liquids, purees and so on. At my 2 1/2 week check in they started me on my Vitamins and calcium chews. I have been able to call my doc office anytime I had questions and the NP there is wonderful and I love talking with her.

My docs office has me on two shakes a day and one small Protein rich meal a day, no Snacks. When I went back this past Tuesday they said I can start adding veggies and other things IF I HAVE room. Which once I get in 3-4oz of Protein I usually do not. They said to continue with this program this way if it is working for me for optimal weight loss. It works and is working and is not that hard for me so I am.

Here is a typical day for me just for an example:

Breakfast: 32oz of deaf black tea, with one scoop of my GENEPRO unflavored protein, Creamer and splenda

31 grams of protein, 32 oz of liquid

Lunch: one RTD Premeier Protein shake vanilla or chocolate 30 grams of protein

Dinner: (I usually save my food meal for dinner to eat with my family) I do 3-4oz of some kind of protein (tuna fish with light mayo, chicken breast, beef tips, lunch meat with cheese roll ups) anywhere from 12-19 grams of protein.

I always do 24-32 oz of tea in the evening with 1/2 portion of Miralax (I had a few days of things not moving and DO NOT want to repeat that ) and if I find my protein intake low I will add some GENEPRO into that, but usually I am good.

I am getting in 64-80 oz of liquid in a day, more hot tea than plain Water now that the weather here in AZ is freezing.

I find that I am not hungry during they day and only once in awhile I look at something and think I am gonna eat that, but then I don't. Oh I have added in Quest bars, around 170 calories and 20 grams of protein if I want more chewy than drinky stuff. :)

I am averaging around 400-600 calories a day and feel satisfied.

I can totally relate to your not wanting to fail. I believe this, if I went thru this surgery I am going to work Sherman (the name of my new stomach thanks to my daughter) for all it's worth. I want to get the most weight off during the "golden" hours. I am also working out 3-4 days a week. I took a break this last two weeks over the holidays, but I still lost weight, but back I go next week. :)

Sorry this is so long, you will get some great answers and encouragement on here. Post often, read as much as you can and breath, you can do this. I started at 314 and worried too, but once the weight starts coming off, you find what works for you and you get a routine you will do great!! :)

I take all those Vitamins plus a super b complex. Don't be afraid to demand (in a nice way) that they give you better instruction. That's what they are being paid to do. I wouldn't hesitate for one moment letting them know hey, you gave me this information already and I need a little more clarification! Maybe I'm just a big mouth or have been in healthcare to long but get the answers you need. You just had a life changing surgery and you don't want to potentially hurt yourself because of a lack of education on their part! A major part of our job a healthcare workers is to educate our patients. You are new to this and you can't be expected to know everything, do your own research yes, but they should be available to Answer any questions you have. Write your self a list of questions and call the office, make a appointment whatever, but get the answers you need and deserve! Ok off the soapbox now! ;)

Hi! Sounds like you're doing great! Your feeling exactly what I've been feeling. The old self is trying to make you doubt.Each day that passes you're closer to a new you. take it one day at a time...make healthy food selections and try to walk. You won't fail.

I've found that taking liquid Iron (plant forced) and Calcium is better for me and also absorbs better. Stay the course, the hardest part is behind you! You're a winner! !

Sounds like you are doing great!! I have not had my surgery yet (scheduled for Monday) but I was given the same list of Vitamins however, mine also included vit. D.

I agree with Elode, write down a list of questions/concerns and call the office. It is their job to make sure you have all of the right information.

Hey everyone I'm not trying to plug my doctor or nutritionist but they created this great app and have a wonderful website if anyone wants to check it out...

http://baritrackapp.com

I had my surgery on 11/17 and sometimes I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants. I got some papers to read and was told that a good multi-Vitamin was all I needed!

Just aim for healthy choices and high Protein - chew slowly - drink that Water.

I promise it will be ok.

My doctor gave me a handbook with detailed instructions at my first appointment. It has become my bible of sorts, especially those first few weeks. It sounds like you are doing well. Take a deep breath and give yourself a pat on the back. I agree with @Elode. Write down your questions and make sure you get answers. Ask the nutritionist or nurse to review what you are doing to make sure you are on target.

As an example this is what my day looks like:

Tuesday - Saturday:

Protien shake with either CVS whey Protein (26gm protein) or Orgain Organics (22gms protein), ½ cup FAGE 0% greek yogurt (12 gm protein). I mix this with either unsweetened almond milk or occasionally orange juice. My shakes avg between 32 -38gm of Protein. I add a bit of Water and lost of ice. I drink half before my Water aerobics class and the other half for Breakfast afterwards.

Sunday - Monday:

have either a soft scrambled egg with cheese or greek yogurt with fruit. I don't go to the gym on those days so I don't do Protein Shakes.

I take 1 multi, Biotin and D3

Post work out (around 11ish) I take 1 Calcium Citrate+D

lunch is a small high protein meal. I was taking B12 sublingual every 3 days, my levels came back high so now I only take this on Sunday.

Around 2 or 3 I take another Calcium Citrate+D and 40gms omeprazole

Around 4 if I am hungry I will have a small snack. (String cheese or half a navel orange) If I am no hungry I just sip water around this time. I typically drink about 40 - 48 ounces of plain water. I was always a water drinker and I'm not bothered with plain water.

dinner is around 7. Anther high protein meal.

Between 9 - 11pm I take a multi, Biotin, D3 and ZyrtecD. Some times I treat myself to some tea with raw honey. I have food allergies and do not eat a fake sugars, water enhancers or many processed food. The chemicals tend to trigger my allergies.

I am getting between 600 - 800 calories a day, 60 -70 gms of protein and 60 - 68 ounces of fluids.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@Luann919 You have the right attitude and I applaud you! You are looking out for yourself and trying to do it right! So much of this journey will become habit and lifestyle if you keep on track.

Warmest congratulations on your weight loss so far! You are doing great!

The phases my surgeon/nutritionist have set are the best strategy to stay on track and to avoid complications. But they emphasize that everything is "as tolerated." I started adding solids (egg and tofu) back in about a week early because I was tolerating everything. I consulted my nutritionist and she said that it was perfectly fine.

The ultimate goal is to learn how much solid food you can tolerate in your new tummy and to find a balance between your caloric intake and exercise. It's really the same goal that we all should've had before surgery, but we weren't able to do at least in part due to Portion Control.< /p>

So now we have our new itty bitty tummies and no hunger hormone (yay!), but everything else is still on us. As long as your weight loss trajectory is downward, then you're doing it right. There are stalls/plateaus that we all go through, but the goal here of course is to find that food/exercise/healthy weight balance.

Best of luck to you on your journey!