Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More facts accumulate on evils of sugar

Long a whipping boy of the industry that began in opposition to the 'Sugar is my Friend' craze, ever more evidence accumulates.

My own educational background included convincing evidence of health problems for at least SOME people.

And I'm convinced in part my own Diabetes 2 is related to poor eating habits and corn sweeteners of the 1950-60-70 era.

If you want a bit of exciting reading from about 35 years ago along the same lines as our 'new scientific findings', dig up a copy of the old book "Sugar Blues". Perhaps arguable yet startling and definitely on track to find physical facts relating to health and nutrition.

Here's an updated report:

"Is sugar making us sick? A team of scientists at the University of California in San Francisco believes so, and they're doing something about it. They launched an initiative to bring information on food and drink and added sugar to the public by reviewing more than 8,000 scientific papers that show a strong link between the consumption of added sugar and chronic diseases.

The common belief until now was that sugar just makes us fat, but it's become clear through research that it's making us sick. For example, there's the rise in fatty-liver disease, the emergence of Type 2 diabetes as an epidemic in children and the dramatic increase in metabolic disorders.

Laura Schmidt, a UCSF professor at the School of Medicine and the lead investigator on the project, SugarScience, said the idea is to make the findings comprehensible and clear to everyone. The results will be available to all on a website (SugarScience.org) and social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-01-scientific-team-alarm-sugar-source.html

I certainly believe that sugar has a negative impact on people. When I was eating a lot of sugar, my arthritis was very painful. Once I quit eating a lot of sugar my pain was at least tolerable. Not only is it bad for you but it does have addiction properties. I can prove that also. If I eat a cookie I will eat 30. Exactly why I stay away from the S word. It doesn't like me and I am happy without it.

I believe sugar is addictive as some drugs. I have to avoid sugary foods altogether. My weight gain was due to eating gallons of ice cream and anything with sugar. since being banded and gaining more control I seldom eat sugar I had diabetes for years . My A1C has been normal since a few months after my surgery,

In jr high & high school, I was one of those who just couldn't stand Breakfast....but just wait till the mid morning carb-dispensor machine was available....

I never did like 'donuts'.....but IF I ate one it would take a BAG of them to quell the beast within.

I'm certain 'corn syrup' anything is a substance that does horrid things to MY metabolism.