Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. unable to fill...help?!

I went in today for my 1st fill. Well...let me back up a bit. I had asked my Dr. at my 1 wk. follow up what i was feeling up high in my abdomen in the middle...he said that was my port. I was very surprised at the location. So today...at 1st fill...he stuck in and all around the larger incision...and couldn't get it. It felt like it was hitting metal...but no luck. I told him I thought it was quite a bit higher...so he stuck me a little higher....and still felt like metal hitting metal...but again no luck. He pushed and pushed and stuck and stuck. I'm soooooo sore. I asked if it could be flipped...he said its unlikely. so i go next week to have fill under fluro. Anyone else have something similar?:)

Thanks....Shawnna

Mine is a good inch on the other side of my port incision. If they were to stick where my port scar is they would never ever hit it. They will be able to hit it with fluro. That's the way they hit mine and it works first time with fluro. I'm sorry your so sore because I went through that with my unfill. Stuck 6 times and thought I would die. You'll do great next week, I wouldn't even worry.

I had to have my first fill and my second under fluro because they could not find my port. Mine is an inch or more below the port scar. They said once I loose weight it will be easier to feel. I sure you will be fine. Good Luck!

I have a flipped port and have my fills under flouro with no problems. my surgeon Just uses a metal thing to turn the port by manipulation and he always gets it first time. Ive now lost about 90lbs and had no problems . So even if it has flipped dont worry too much

Tracey x

I had my first fill two days ago and I thought he was going to kill me. He couldn't find the port and tried for about 45 minutes (no exaggeration). Then he left and brought in an ultrasound machine and tried for about 20 minutes more. I finally told him I couldn't take it anymore and he sent me to get an x-ray and have them make a mark where the port is located. He was about two inches off the mark.

By then I was terrified and he said he would hit it right off, but still couldn't get it. He spent about 20 minutes and I finally said, "Enough is enough." I left with him thinking he got it. I am not sure I will dare try it again. I have bruising all over my stomach about the size of a softball. You can see at least twenty different sites he has made to mince meat.

My brother is a doctor and was appalled. Does anyone know a good doctor in the Salt Lake City area?

I see Dr. Hansen in the Sandy Clinic. Thing is...I never actually see Dr. Hansen. I don't know if I'd trust him to do a fill. There are 6-7 very trained nurses (all having been banded themselves) who do tons of them a day. 14 fills so far and not one of them have missed my port. I'd much rather they fill me than the Dr. He's too busy with new surgeries and almost never does the fills. OK with me. Give them a call...either Aldridge or Hansen. Good luck

Yep I went in for my first fill and had exactly the same problem. It really felt like a scraping on metal inside me. I must admit it so icked me out I haven't had another try and I have been banded 6 months. I am white knuckling hunger at the moment so will have to go back and have another try. I too was worried about a flipped port but he said it was very unlikely.