Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help - very slow loss - what to eat? Thyroid?

Sorry about the ignorance but what is synthroid?

Hi ya! Synthroid is a medication that is given to people with thryoid conditions. In our case - Hypo or underactive thyroid!

:-)

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! It helps for me to hear some positive things about not worrying because I see others stats... and mine are just terrible comparably. I know we aren't supposed to compare... but it is hard when you see someone who has had surgery 9 weeks ago (like me) down like 70lbs.... from SURGERY weight and not just surgery plus 2 week liquid ...

I struggle with eating. I do know that I do everything I can to get my Protein and Water in. I work hard on that. If I don't think I'm going to get my Protein in by food...then I just drink a Protein Drink....

Lately, I've been having a Protein Drink for Breakfast... seems to help!

Someone shared this app with me...Baratric Timer! It has been super helpful with regards to water! Now, if I could find one for the Vitamins. I am forgetting to take them!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

when i started, i was lucky if I could eat 300 calories a day. that level was seen as anorexic. my surgical team, mostly PA and NUT, wanted me to double that by eating more meals. i still can only eat ¼ cup at a time. it took a while, but now I can eat 5 or 6 times a day AND DRINK ALL MY Water. I had a stall, but I'm losing again. For me, the Water is the key. Also, weigh and measure everything, at least until you know how much is what. Good luck. If you are doing what you are supposed to do, you will lose. Your body might be fighting you, but you will lose. Just please don't malnourish yourself.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! It helps for me to hear some positive things about not worrying because I see others stats... and mine are just terrible comparably. I know we aren't supposed to compare... but it is hard when you see someone who has had surgery 9 weeks ago (like me) down like 70lbs.... from SURGERY weight and not just surgery plus 2 week liquid ...

I struggle with eating. I do know that I do everything I can to get my Protein and Water in. I work hard on that. If I don't think I'm going to get my Protein in by food...then I just drink a protein drink....

Lately, I've been having a protein drink for breakfast... seems to help!

Someone shared this app with me...Baratric Timer! It has been super helpful with regards to water! Now, if I could find one for the Vitamins. I am forgetting to take them!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

I put all my Vitamins for the week in daily containers and set them on my desk so they are right in front of my face all day and now I don't ever forget them. I love the Blender Bottle GoStaks because they are big enough to hold all the Calcium chews and other big things. Doesn't really matter what you use though - just find a place to set them out where you can't miss them!

Hi all!

I need some help! I have been struggling since I've had surgery on November 4th. I have "only" lost about 30lbs since surgery but 50 overall (2 week liquid diet before surgery). As you can see I lost more on the liquid than I did after surgery.

I have hypo thyroid as well. But listen - I weigh over 300lbs at 5'7".

I'm insulted :( I started out at 348. I am exactly 5'7". I Lost weight preop down to 312lbs. My surgery was the same day as yours 11-4. As of my last dr visit on 12-22 I was 279 giving me a total post op loss of only 33lbs. Between 12-22 and today I have lost 2 lbs as per my home scale. Why do you feel that you should be down more? I hardly eat and continue to have difficulty getting in Protein and liquids. I am still on diet restrictions and can just start to add in things like fish or chicken starting tomorrow. There are many things within your post that made me think wow did I type that and forget? Similarities height, weight, surgery day, amount lost thus far issues getting in Proteins and things until u talked to the nut. And yet I was only joking about being insulted. I refuse to be insulted. I look at things positive. Rather than saying I have only lost 2 lbs. I think wow I have lost 32oz. In my last visit the dr said I was above average and was thrilled with the scale print out. So why not focus on the positive things and work toward your goals. 30lbs lost is much better than a 30lb gain in my book any day! :) hugs of support

Edited by athena3127

@@bellabloom and @@catdaddy (love that name!) I think this is one of those instances where everyone is different. When I tried to lose weight in the past, specifically on Weight Watchers, the less I ate the less I lost. If I lost at all. The weeks where I ate "normal" I had the biggest numbers. 5-7 pounds lost in a week.

@ are you on medication for your thyroid? Have you talked to your nutritionist about how it would affect your progress? If you are otherwise following the program, I think that's a conversation worth having.

@ are you on medication for your thyroid? Have you talked to your nutritionist about how it would affect your progress? If you are otherwise following the program, I think that's a conversation worth having.

I have spoken with her...my lab results were "normal" before my surgery. I just wonder if they've changed... the meds I'm on are supposed to help. I'll have labs done soon...so we'll figure it out.

I am just frustrated because I just don't seem to be losing like others... and I need to let that go! I'm worried that I broke my pouch... because some days I seem to be able to eat more than others... I have no problem getting down a 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal...so when it is cooked, isn't it like a cup? Then other days, two bits of salmon will HURT!

I know somebody said in this thread they didn't believe in eating more to lose... I'm just so confused by it all.

Thanks for listening!

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this boat. I had my surgery Nov. 11th and I've lost just about 42 lbs. Only 27 since my surgery. I get my 60 gms. and sometimes more of Protein every day, and am getting in my fluids most days. Sometimes I find that if I'm busy doing things I just don't even think about eating or drinking.

The holiday weren't a problem for me and I ate what I could and passed on the rest. No carbs, so sugar except for a tiny piece of chocolate on Christmas Day and a tiny bite of a cookie a few days later.

I did get out of my walking routine with the weather turning so cold here and having to go out of town for my father in laws funeral, but I know I have to get on the exercise band wagon....... I'm going to start the gym next week, and may even pay for a trainer for a month or so to get me really going.

I think I should be loosing faster too, and I still don't feel like it really shows much. People tell me they can tell in my face.....big deal..... My clothes do fit better, but nothing dramatic. I'm frustrated too.

Calories in weight loss achieved! EXERCISE WALK EXERCISE. There is no such thing as free weight loss. Walk, move, Walk

Thanks for writing!

I get an average of 70g's of Protein in a day. Some days are less, most days are more. I also went from 64 oz to 80oz. I will admit....I do my darndest to get the 64 in...and bonus is 80!!!

I eat low calorie, low carb, high protein about 5 times a day....ok...let's be real....I don't eat 5 times a day...I'm lucky if I eat three!

Just bummed... and complaining...and I know I shouldn't! It didn't take 8 weeks to put it on, why should I think it'll take 8 weeks to take it off!

Happy New Year!

how much do you want to be losing?

Well a lot more than I am. I'd like to have those big drops that others have instead of staying the same weight for two weeks. I am 300lbs. at 600 calories a day it should be falling off!!!

Stinab...

STOP LOOKING AT THE scale. The scale is not your God our Idol. It is simply a tool of measure. Like a tape measure. Did you measure yourself before?

1) your journey will not be like saralost30moreThanMe did or JohnnyONLYlost23 did. Our bodies are different, culture, food intake, food desires, past habits, new habits, types of food eaten, exercise, no exercise, Protein variety, carb intake or lack of... Can you see the difference?

2) your plan is probably different from Betty's plan and Johnny s plan... Follow your plan.

3) it's OK to lose fast. IT'S OK TO LOSE SLOW. ---- to that end what isn't ok, is to think there is something wrong when you are not where you thought you 'should be' because how do you really know where your supposed to be? Have you done this before?

4) there will be many stalls... Don't get frustrated... Think of it like this... Did you gain it all over night or in a few short months? No.... It took along time to get where you were.

We lose opposite of how we gain. The miracle is our bodies is this..

As kids, we got chubby, then had a verticle growth spurt. Our bodies will drop "pounds" then take a time out to adjust. During this adjustment, it will be losing inches. These time it's can be weeks or months.

It's OK... You have done the most important thing... Realized you wanted a life change. You've been sleeved, now treat your body right and be thrilled with the smallest gain... Like crossing your legs, tying your shoes, being able to see cheek bones or a collar bone... No new achievement is too small to celebrate!

I feel your pain! I had Lap Bad revision to RNY surgery November 11 and have only lost 12 pounds. I am very careful about what I eat and try to get my Water in. I was a slow loser with the band and even slower with RNY.

I try not to dwell on it at least I am not gaining!

How do you really know where your supposed to be? Have you done this before?

Preach it, sister! LOL. Nicely said.

I'm not post-op yet, but I have done a ton of research on nutrition over the last few years (and I have a science background). It IS true that if you eat too little, your body thinks it's starving and slows down your metabolism. When I did strict low carb eating, I could eat 1800, sometimes even 2000 cal per day as long as my carbs were 25 gm or less and still lose weight easily. It's not a simple "calories in, calories out" equation like we've been told for years and years. Carb calories trigger insulin, which triggers storage of those calories.
Certainly, eating too much is just as bad, but don't discount the idea that you might be eating too little.

You mentioned yogurt - depending on the brand it can have a lot of sugars - both added and natural fruit sugar - you might want to look at labels and make sure you are getting a lot of carbs that way. If you use milk for your Protein Shakes, milk has pretty high carbs, esp skim milk (remove the fat, it automatically has more milk sugar per cup). I've switched to almond milk for the last 2 yrs - the unsweetened only has a few carbs and it has more Calcium than dairy.

Otherwise, though, try not to obsess too much over the scale. Measure yourself weekly or every other week and Celebrate those losses.

One thing I am doing to prepare for WLS is that I've made a big list of the things I hope to achieve with it. Not one of them has to do with a weight or clothing size. Most of them are activities that I've been too heavy to do for a long time. Some will be after a lot of loss, like snow skiing again. Others are much simpler - climb our basement stairs without getting out of breath. Try making a list like that and check them off as you obtain them!