Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to Death for Post Op

I had surgery 2 days ago. I was very scared before surgery and I knew I wouldn't cancel because everyone I knew who had the surgery was happy they had it. I had a lot of pain and nausea the day of surgery and the next morning. Its much better now. I'm feeling very positive about the surgery now.

@Elode..................I am going to be you!!!

I'm hearing a lot of people are unable to keep anything down after surgery for the first month and are getting sick.

@@Docgerri

@@SteveLent

getting boring here :blink:

i also had a great, speedy recovery ;)

no issues/concerns

you will see./hear many success stories

people write about their bad experiences

those bad stories

stick out in your mind

makes you worry a bit :)

but there are other sleevers that had no issues/problems :)

the good stories "outweight" ;) the bad stories

you made the wise decision to have WLS

don't second guess your self now/!!!!

good luck :)

speedy recovery

katthy

Edited by proudgrammy

I am 3 days out and I am doing well. Sip slowly and go easy with everything.

I'm hearing a lot of people are unable to keep anything down after surgery for the first month and are getting sick. Can many of you that are post op comment on this? My surgery is this coming Monday and I'm getting scared.

Surprised this thread is still going strong. Let em just state once again, ZERO Problems. No gas, no nausea, no vomiting, no Constipation. I have been able to eat and drinking with no issues since day 1. No depression or crying jags. I wasn't scared because I had a wonderful medical team to support me. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Hi. I'm 62 yrs old and scheduled for surgery Jan 19 in Canada

I'm scared about the surgery. More than post op

Any other "boomers" out there? Any words of encouragement? Thanks

I'm hearing a lot of people are unable to keep anything down after surgery for the first month and are getting sick. Can many of you that are post op comment on this? My surgery is this coming Monday and I'm getting scared.

I am post surgery 2days. I am a big wimp when it comes to pain. But this surgery has gone surprisingly well. Only used pain meds twice so far. I too was scared to death. It is difficult to get down to get down all the liquids, but I'm sure it will get easier. I'm walking around the house 1x per hour. I am using Gas X strips and the gas isn't bad at all. I really need to slow and reduce the amount I sip and I think that will help.

Remember you are stronger and more brave that you know. Keep posting!Paula

@@nowornever1952 - Not sure I qualify but I am 51. As I've said repeatedly this was a cake walk.

This is my third day post op and I only suffered the first day, now I try to have my liquids very slow and follow the diet very carefully and I've been fine. Don't be scared you'll be great just listen to your doctor

I wish you all the best on this new life that you're about to start

Meh, most people don't have those complications. If you do, you'll be fine like @@LipstickLady said. The real question is, how bad do you want it? How many times have you said to yourself, "I would do anything to be thin". Well, here's your anything.

**And just to be clear, I'm not minimizing the experiences of those who truly have had serious complications. To those, you are all my hero.

I experienced nausea after my surgery and was scared to death that I was going to vomit. But I never did vomit.... Even a year later, I've not thrown up once.

Like u, I was also scared because of all I was reading. Well I am 9 days post op and was never nauseous nor have I ever thrown up! All people are different but if u follow the doc's instructions I'm sure u will be just fine. Eat slow

@@Docgerri ,Yes I was a nervous pre-op. Anticipation is hard! My Surgery was just 48 hours ago, 12/31/14. Stayed one night in hospital. Walked like crazy. On scale of 1-10 (10 being worst), I had pain of a 3 or 4. I have been able to drink Water and Decaf tea with sips, eaten broth, eaten a couple sugar-free popsicles. ZERO nausea. ZERO gas pains (I've walked a lot). ZERO pain getting fluids done. Sitting here I am having ZERO pain. I do have pain when I have to roll over in bed or get up off the couch, but I'm not sure I would even classify it as pain... it's more of a tender abdomen and the incision sites. It's been easier than I anticipated. Also, I am one that gets easily constipated, so I was thinking it would be 5 to 7 days before bowel movement. But I pooped this morning... a mere 48 hours post surgery. So in a nutshell, my experience has been pretty good and the odds are that yours will be too! Hang in there and keep us posted.

Everyone will have a slightly different recovery. I have had a very tolerant stomach ever since the beginning and have had no problems with any of my stages and have been able to get in my recommended amounts of Protein since the very first day at home. However, it took me about 6 weeks to get my normal levels of energy and stamina back! Just follow the instructions you are given, and don't be a martyr - if you are having a problem, tell your care team so they can help you fix it.

I haven't had any problems thank Jesus! I was sleeved on 12/20 and go back to work on Monday. I did feel very very weak the first week and wondered how I was going to make it to work. I feel much better now but I'm still taking it easy, walking and sipping my Water. You'll be fine.

OoncZWN.jpgOoncm5.png