Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to Death for Post Op

@@peki31 lol I totally relate to the back and forth of canceling surgery because that's where my head has been since starting the pre op diet the day after Christmas!!!!!! Thanks for your feed back!!!! Greatly appreciated!

@@peki31 lol I totally relate to the back and forth of canceling surgery because that's where my head has been since starting the pre op diet the day after Christmas!!!!!! Thanks for your feed back!!!! Greatly appreciated!

7 weeks out and no problems at all! No dumping no nausea nothing.. I was scared before surgery but everything is going ok. Good luck in your journey! Everything is going to be ok.

Edited by clautxs

I am glad you wrote about being frightened. I am scared too. I am currently awaiting approval from the my insurance and expect to have a surgery date in the next month or so. I have completed all the upfront clearances and educational requirements. All went well, now suddenly it's very real. Having second thoughts.

Please relax!!! I am 12 days post op and feel like I had nothing done. I was shopping the next day in Tijuana. No pain, no vomiting, no issues whatsoever. I followed all of my doctor's suggestions and came through with no issues at all and I am down 40 pounds since I started my pre-op diet.

@SteveLentTruro keep posting on this site! The support system here is unbelievable and with everybody responding has calmed some of my hysteria!!!!! My surgery is Monday.

I was scared to death, but no regrets post opp. Its all been great. Sip, get some Isopure no carb Protein from GNC and measure yourself because the wieght loss may not start for a week, but you will be glad for the starting measurements to see progress. Oh yeah, plan on walking a great deal the next month. It helps everything.

I was sleeved on dec 17 and have not vomited once (knock wood)!! came close to it a few times the first two days but that was just bad gas bubbles pressing. as soon as I burped I was perfect. my pain was almost non existent and I took NO narcotics at all. only had tylenol drip 3 times during recovery (one overnight stay). I walked that night. walked walked walked the next day and have been perfect since. luckily for me, my sleeve tolerates all foods. I'm on purée now and have no problems with chicken Soup blended, bean Soups blended, egg salad, hummus and last night I had some baked cod. I'm getting all Protein and Water in every day and have been at the gym since 12/26. not everyone has a rough go at it. I promise. just go in positive and you'll be fine!!

I'm 6 weeks post-op and have had no major problems. I have noticed some minor issues, I get dry flaky skin when I don't get my 60 oz of fluids, but nothing serious. No vomiting, no pain, surgeon just cleared me for full exercise.

Calm your fears. It's like like a rollercoaster of emotions that your on right now. And in a year or even 6 months your gonna look back and say "self" what were you so worried about?. I'm just past 8wks and I too am one who had zero zilch nadda first issue with pain. I would question if the surgeon even did anything at all if I didn't have the places that were stapled. I was a witchy person post op due to the anesthesia makes me an ugly person! I have battled nausea and been sick more times than I would like. However that being said it is a learning curve and realized that my tummy simply wasn't ready to progress on to a new food phase. I have a great surgeon who provided me with zofran and phenagrin to help. He was also there anytime I had a concern. As said above it is NOT the same getting sick post op as it was preop! I wasn't scared going into surgery. I did my research. I felt confident in my surgeon and I had a positive outlook. I went in with the "I can" mind set. I worked Monday. Surgery Tuesday and was up walking that day. Walked 1/2 mile on Wed, then a full mile up and down the halls before getting released to go home. The nurse advised me I was the best sleeve patient she had and that I didn't act like I just had major surgery. I was driving on Friday as long as I wasn't on pain meds and then Back to work on Monday. I used vacation time and shared with anyone who asked what I was doing. I've been very open and honest with anyone who has asked.

I follow my surgeon and nuts "guide" and don't advance prior to when I should on the food phases. We all heal and progress at different rates. You will hit stalls! Just stay focused. Follow the guide provided. Write out all your notes or questions for your surgeon as you think of them so you don't forget. I have even gained weight post op only to loose it again. Do not check the scale daily as it make you batty :). I was lucky to have no issues with gas what so ever. I contribute this to the moving and stretching I did directly aftr surgery. I did range of motion from the point I was "aware" and the anesthesia wasn't clouding my thoughts and got my tail moving. I was on a mission. A mission to make this a good experience. I only wish I had the surgery 10 years ago! :)

You will do fine and I'm here along with everyone else if you need anything it can do to help just message me!

Hugs of support on you exciting journey ahead. !

Edited by athena3127

I had no bowel problems or issues with nausea, however, I did have more pain than I expected. It was ok though. I took 2 weeks off work and took hydrocodone as needed during that time. The pain ended at two weeks and only soreness remained so I was fine going back to work. The only times I've had problems since is if I have eaten too much, too fast, or the food was too rich and that has been few as I've tried to be compliant. Please don't worry. I was scared; I think most of us were. I think you might be naive not to be afraid or at least wary. But the first month, which is the hardest, flies by and you will also lose a lot of weight. So don't be alarmed if you hurt, feel awful, have a hard time gagging down Water or shakes, and can't get comfortable. It is normal and temporary and you are gonna do great! Keep your eye on the prize and God bless you!

Thank you all for your great feed back!!! Finishing up my 5th day of pre op diet. 5 more to go!!!!

Thank you all for your great feed back!!! Finishing up my 5th day of pre op diet. 5 more to go!!!!

You've got this! The pre-op diet will soon be a distant memory.

Oh gosh....i think most people are scared...and excited at the same time. But its a surgery like any other in the realm of surgeries....so that is good...and you WILL survive the surgery. That is probably the easiest part....but I haven't had mine yet...so I'm just guessing lol. But from what i have been reading, the work comes afterwards and for most people, there are a series of ups and downs and adjustments that are simply inevitable.

I can see myself being nervous and scared ( i already am) but like you, feel I HAVE to do it, WANT to do it and WILL do it in the end. I imagine that i will ask why i got myself into this....i imagine I will have some breakdowns with bouts of excitement and happiness in between. I imagine I will regret it from time to time many times in a day in the beginning ,as I adjust to something i cant turn back. ...then a slow adjustment, and as i see i'm losing, i will be more accepting that i made the right decision. I imagine snapping at people cuz i don't have my precious food to turn to anymore and i probably wont like it. It will be like a funeral for my old friend...i'll be mourning my old relationship with food. Change doesn't come easy and takes time.

I was worried when i had a breast reduction about 12 years ago...worried about the surgery for the most part....but after i came out of it, I was psyched even though i lost a few lbs on each breast...so it was a physical adjustment. I was operated on for about 3 hrs.

I'm a big baby...A really big baby, but i am not going to let it stop me. Fear is not a good enough excuse to not go through with it....as my fear wont stop....ill just be fearing how long i will live, or afraid that if i wait til i am older and revisit the surgery then, it will be more of a risk then, than it is now. Now is a good a time as any.

You are right to be afraid. You are entitled to it. But don't let it dictate your future. While likely much different, an incredible future awaits you!!!!!