Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to Death for Post Op

I think people w ho have problems are likely to post asking for help. For most of us the first 1-3 months kinda sucked but I didn't vomit or run crazed down the street since I can't handle (fill in the blank) since being sleeved. So it's not easy but it is very "do able"

I hade my surgery Oct 6, 2014. So I am almost 3 months out. I've thrown up only once. And that was about 3 weeks after surgery because I ate a little too much. But it wasn't horrendous. I've been through worse. I've dealt with a lot more mentally then physically. This process has tested me in every way possible. But I'm thinner now then I have been in a least 20 years. I don't regret any of it. I only wish I had a support system that understood how hard this is. I've found a lot of inner peace by reading these forums. It's good to know I don't travel this road alone. Just remember that nothing worth having comes easy. Like a Phoenix you just have to rise from the ashes. =) It's worth it. I promise! =)

I'm am replying to each and everyone of you. This is helping sooooooooo much you have no idea!!!!!! Thank you!!!! Keep the posts coming if you think of anything else!!!!

I haven't thrown up yet and I am almost 2 months post op. The first week after surgery was rough and took a lot to make it through it. The first week after surgery is difficult because everything is so swollen. Little sips of Fluid feel like you are so full you will explode. You just have to sip all the time and you will notice as the days pass you can sip more & more.

I think most people will tell you they were afraid the day before or the morning before surgery. It is a huge life changing surgery. If you weren't at least somewhat concerned before surgery then I would worry if you have been prepared enough for surgery. Fear is normal and it is ok! Just remember you decided to have surgery after thoroughly thinking it through and researching it. You made this decision rationally and after a lot of consideration.

No body knows what the future holds for any of us, especially after surgery . We all go into it preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. You have to ask yourself if you can accept it if something isn't what you expected after surgery. There is always the unknown and unexpected.

Welcome to the boards! I wish you well and hope you make the best decision for you in your current circumstances. Keep asking any questions you have and the wonderful people here will help if they can. Bariatric Pal has a wonderful base of supportive and caring people. We will all be here to help anytime you need it.

My mom and I had the surgery a week apart, and everything has been different for us. I had mine 11/17/14 and she had hers 11/24/14. Where she has done great in some parts I have failed, and where I have done great she has struggled. For example, my first day of soft foods I was so excited to eat eggs because I had missed them, but the first bite I took got stuck. I didn't throw up, but I had to go back to liquids for a few days because of the pain that was caused by the eggs. They moved on down eventually, but they had made my esophagus inflamed, and that was a terrible week for me. I waited until the third week like I was supposed to to start the soft foods and it turned out terrible for me. My mom called to ask about my problem, and they told her she could start soft foods a week early and she had absolutely no problem. I'm 6 weeks out now, and I still have trouble eating the eggs, but I'm doing fine with everything else.

My mom has experienced the throwing up, though. The night that we ate fish together, she came home and threw everything back up. There was nothing wrong with the food because I ate more of it than she did, and I had no problem with it at all.

Also, I stopped taking pain medicine after my second day home because the pain wasn't really all that bad, but my mom took it regularly for at least a week or two because the pain in her stomach was much worse than mine. I think the moral of my story is that everyone is different. Your post-op experience depends on you and how your body reacts to what you're about to put it through. I'm pretty sure everyone can tell you the first couple of weeks suck, but even at only 6 weeks out, I know that it was worth it and I am so glad I had it done.

I wish you the best of luck!

@ Luvin_Life125 for your feed back and support!!!

@ Luvin_Life125 for your feed back and support!!!

@@sleevingit1994 thank you for your feedback!!!! I appreciate it!!!!!!!!

I'm hearing a lot of people are unable to keep anything down after surgery for the first month and are getting sick. Can many of you that are post op comment on this? My surgery is this coming Monday and I'm getting scared.

My entire experience has been insanely easy. I kid you not. I did my homework, followed the doctors orders and felt secure in my decision. Going into surgery I said a little prayer in the waiting room and was completely calm. No nerves at all. Surgery went well. The one draw back was they couldn't get a vein for an IV so I ended up with a PICC-line instead. Having that in my neck was awkward, but not painful. I woke up having to go to the bathroom from the IV fluids. My stomach/abs felt like I had done a vigorous workout the day before. I never needed to use the morphine pump or any pain meds so I was able to get up and walking in recovery. Hospital stay was fine I was started on liquid Protein and veg breath. I was also given ice ships to suck on. I tolerated everything with no problem. Since I've had no issues with pain, gas, Constipation or nausea. I got bored with the Protein shakes after the first week, but I have been able to eat everything so far. I was cleared to drive after 2 weeks, cleared to resume Water aerobics after 3.

Best decision I ever made.

I am 10 days post op...and had the same worries! I haven't been sick once! I was scared to death of both surgery and after! It hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected! Keep a positive attitude and get up and get moving right away!! My preop apt was today and I am doing great!! You will do great!!

Stomach of Iron comin' at you here.

I was sleeved August 18, 2014. Have never been nauseated. Have never thrown up.

My recovery was easy-peasy. I was eating 60 grams of Protein by Day Five.

I think the majority of patients have it like I did. But not everyone does. And a very few have complications and a much tougher recovery.

However, IMHO the most important aspect of this journey--whether you have an easy recovery or a hard one--is your attitude. How much do you want to be healthy and normal-sized?

Very best to you. :)

@ BLERDgirl thank you for your input!!! Greatly appreciated!!!

@@jmrondo thank you for your input! Greatly appreciated!!!

@ VSGAnn2014 thank you for your feed back! Greatly appreciated!!!!!

I was sleeved on 12/12/14 and I was terrified before it. Going back and forth about cancelling it and being crazy excited. Thankfully I didn't have a pre-op diet besides 2 days of Clear liquids right before the surgery. The day of the surgery I felt much better about it for some reason. My surgeon was wonderful, came in to talk to me , we played a prank on the nurse and it was a very calm environment. I woke up from anesthesia very easily and felt just fine. Almost like nothing happened. My DH showed me pics the dr. gave him of my stomach prior and post surgery (gross). I felt no nausea at all. And I am one who throws up very easily. Spent both of my entire pregnancies throwing up. I was able to walk very soon after walking up with no problems.

Anyway, there were no complications. After I got home I wasn't even sure if the surgeon did anything. I had two 1/2CM incisions and another inside my bellybutton that I couldn't see, there was some glue though. No pain. Took painkillers once in the hospital at night to sleep.

About 2 1/2 weeks out now and still no issues besides a bit of Constipation.

Hope your surgery goes great!