Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for veterans

I haven't been sleeved yet. Working on weight loss with high Protein 1000 calories a day as recommended by my NUT. Here's my concern for after my surgery- being "full" has never stopped me if the food tastes really good. Will the full feeling be more "uncomfortable" post-op? Will I want to stop?

I'm doing much better by keeping my diary on MFP but when the temptation is there, will I be able to stop?

Hi Kate,

I thought the same thing yes you will definitely want to stop. Surprisingly you will have no choice or you will be in the bathroom throwing up everything you try to force down.

Yes this calling it (feeling full) it's not what I would call it. Feels like something hurting in the top your chest... Just one bite too many and you'll feel it. If you don't throw it up it will take about a half hour 40 minutes to go through. So short answer is it's almost impossible to overeat in a single sitting. Which has saved my life because that was my one problem. Now even with the holidays I did have a few treats here and there but it was a few bites no over indulging. And....I'm still losing weight. Maybe one day the option to overeat will be there but so far I don't see it happening anytime soon! Good luck.

Ditto to what the others said. I used to STUFF myself. I wouldnt stop until I was uncomfortably full. Being full with a sleeve is different. There's nothing there to stretch, so when you're sleeve is full, it's FULL and it hurts at the top, where the esophagus comes in. I try to stop a bite or two before that point, because it's not a pleasant feeling. That's were the eating slow comes in so you can feel that fullness before it's too late.

Picture filling a balloon with Water (a normal stomach).....it's gonna keep stretching long after the balloon is "full". Now try it with a plastic bottle(your sleeve).....the Water will come spraying out the top if you try to overfill it.

Edited by Kindle

I was just talking about this the other day. I remember enjoying the full feeling. And sometimes when I was full, I'd still find extra room for a dessert or snack. I think most people like to feel full. But after surgery, being full is a bit terrifying. It's not a good feeling at all, it's pain.

I'm glad I read this Cuz ima stuffer too ! I'm on the preop diet and having a hard time with it ....mamma wants to eat ! Not gonna do it though , hopefully tomorrow will be better .

Is there a happy fullness with the sleeve if you eat just the right amount

Definitely.....I really do like the full but not stuffed feeling as I walk away from the table.

There is a happy fullness with the sleeve. You begin to not even think about food because it no longer becomes the center of your life. You will no longer think what before having Breakfast what's for lunch or dinner. It a very good feeling not to think of food all day long

I'm only 4 months post-op and am doing fine with the sleeve. Love it. I've lost 63 pounds thus far. I think the sleeve is a big advantage to those of us who've struggled lifelong with overweight and obesity.

But here's the big BUT ...

40-50% of people who have WLS (including those who are sleeved) gain back more than half of the weight they lost. So clearly they are able to cheat the sleeve big-time. And I haven't heard of anyone who's had the sleeve who says they've never had to put some energy post-op into maintaining their weight loss.

Some people who post here at BP have said that 1, 2, 3 years out they are struggling with weight gain. And during the holidays some here have complained about gaining weight (even during their weight loss phases) because they indulged too much in holiday treats.

So if "being 'full' has never stopped [you when] the food tastes really good," you surely could figure out post-op how to eat more than you should. But just because you can doesn't mean that you will.

The sleeve is only one of many tools you could acquire to help you live healthier, lose weight, maintain your weight, and live a healthy lifestyle. The other available tools are family and friends you invite to support you, psychological counseling and coaching, support groups (in real life and online), ongoing support from your bariatric and medical team, exercise and physical activities and resources, a job/work/career that supports your new lifestyle (or at least doesn't sabotage it), avocations that support your new lifestyle, spiritual support, and other resources.

Of course, there are other things in our lives we can't control that will affect our long-term success. But the list above includes are some things we can control.

Most of all, there's the motivation factor: How badly do we want to be normal-sized and healthy?

Best wishes to you.

Edited by VSGAnn2014