Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible eating over Christmas

I too, overdid the holiday....3 pounds gained....first gain since my sleeve- July 16th. Down 74 pounds... Trying to up Protein and diminish the carbs! Exercise needs to increase too.

Count me too in the overindulged camp! I just planned on it, dropped to my lowest at about 4lbs below goal and enjoyed myself just like a "normal" person. Didn't overdo nearly like I ever did before, and honestly the sugar made me feel icky. Gained a few lbs (not as many as I feared) got right back on track and am now a pound below goal again. Part of what helped is I kept up on my exercise (running and yoga) even though my eating was off.

I think it's OK!

I also overindulged. So far, no regain (I realize it could take a bit to catch up on the scale) so no harm no foul right? Nope. As a result, I have that "out of control" feeling I used to have pre-surgery. For the last year (I am one year post op) I've had control over my eating for the first time EVER, but now that feeling of being out of control is back. I've awoken the carb monster. For the last several days I say "I'll start tomorrow" with the no sugar eating, then - I don't. I threw out anything in the house that was tempting me - Cookies, toffee, remnants of bags of chocolate chips and nuts (these weren't calling me from the cabinet but I got rid of them just in case), stocked up on some Premier drinks (Costco in my area is carrying strawberry again, yay!) and started the 5 day pouch test yesterday. I need a re-set. I've maintained my exercise regime but I know I cannot out-exercise bad eating.

Just do a detox for ONE DAY. At least that's what you tell yourself. This is what I did...I said OK I'm gonna have a NO sugar NO refined carbs detox day. If I want some tomorrow, OK. And guess what? One day and I was under control again. Try it! You can do anything for ONE DAY right?

I also overindulged. So far, no regain (I realize it could take a bit to catch up on the scale) so no harm no foul right? Nope. As a result, I have that "out of control" feeling I used to have pre-surgery. For the last year (I am one year post op) I've had control over my eating for the first time EVER, but now that feeling of being out of control is back. I've awoken the carb monster. For the last several days I say "I'll start tomorrow" with the no sugar eating, then - I don't. I threw out anything in the house that was tempting me - Cookies, toffee, remnants of bags of chocolate chips and nuts (these weren't calling me from the cabinet but I got rid of them just in case), stocked up on some Premier drinks (Costco in my area is carrying strawberry again, yay!) and started the 5 day pouch test yesterday. I need a re-set. I've maintained my exercise regime but I know I cannot out-exercise bad eating.

Just to clarify, I don't mean don't do the 5 day pouch thing... But just do it one day at a time mentally!

I got back yesterday, and stepped on the scale at work today. Gained the 4 pounds I was expecting to (top of my bounce range, still below goal). But like others, I'm back to plan today and my sleeve is VERY happy to have all the Protein. It was not happy with all those carbs. But hey, my tastebuds and head sure liked em. ....maybe too much. But with healthy eating I'm pretty confident I will be back at the bottom of my bounce within a week.

Holidays are the worst with all the goodies and sweets we love . But I have learn to eat a little of this and a little of that. I know it is not good for me but I just have to taste it. It stop the craving so I can continue on my healthy journey

So glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I was actually a bit surprised as I am only 5 weeks out. However, I did not lose my hunger at all from the surgery. I had son home from Navy and daughter from college so house was filled with bad stuff. The worse part is that I have NO trouble eating bad stuff! I chew the Cookies so well they just slide right down! This is very concerning as I went from being the perfect "model" WLS patient right back to my old self with the exception that I could not eat as much. Not sure how to stop this from happening again. Any ideas?

I, too, over indulged. Between thanksgiving, then the weekend of Dec. 12-15, and again that following Monday, I baked sweet potato pies, Apple cobbler, plus a Bunch of food for guests.

I ate more carbs--rice...yum. I also HAD to eat my pies. But unlike before VSG, I could only eat a little at a time, not the whole darn thing!

I'd been hanging around 184 pounds, but today am 189. Oh well. Overall, I'm not beating myself up too badly and will hunker down so, in early 2015, I can get to ~165.

We're not in prison. We have a tool, and thank God it really does work.

I'm on day 3 of de-carbing and happy to report that yes, the cravings are quieting a little bit. I suspect I'll feel I'm back in the driver's seat by the weekend.

Same here, the holidays and just life in general has been tough the last few months. I have also had some set backs but 1/1/15 is the start of a new book with 365 blank pages! I plan on filling all those pages with nothing but great adventures, healthy eating and continuing this wonderful journey we have all started. Just stay strong and everything will fall back in place.

I am so grateful for this thread. My Uncle died very early Christmas morning after a brave battle with ALS. Christmas was cancelled at our house and we jumped in the car immediately to be with my Aunt. It was a 10 hour drive from home to middle Georgia and I was unprepared and frazzled. I haven't been overeating but my choices have been limited, especially during the drive down(Christmas day;most things closed) I did get to a local grocery to grab a few things, but trying to manage my program away from my own fridge and kitchen has been hard.

I've logged my food and managed to stay under 1000 calories but I was really feeling awful about some of the choices I've made over the last week. I'm grateful to see such encouraging posts about getting back on track.

I am so grateful for this thread. My Uncle died very early Christmas morning after a brave battle with ALS. Christmas was cancelled at our house and we jumped in the car immediately to be with my Aunt. It was a 10 hour drive from home to middle Georgia and I was unprepared and frazzled. I haven't been overeating but my choices have been limited, especially during the drive down(Christmas day;most things closed) I did get to a local grocery to grab a few things, but trying to manage my program away from my own fridge and kitchen has been hard.

I've logged my food and managed to stay under 1000 calories but I was really feeling awful about some of the choices I've made over the last week. I'm grateful to see such encouraging posts about getting back on track.

So sorry about your uncle. I lost my dad and uncle to ALS. Be kind to yourself. Christmas is rough and yours was especially hard. Just take it a day at a time and you'll be back on track.

I think I ate anything that was not nailed down. My daughter made a mix that was to die for and I ate that every night.....I made a large cheese cake but that was not my desire. It was little things like chocolate and chips. I did have the best breakfasts the entire time I was there, and enjoyed every single bite....I am now back to work and preparing my standard food and feeling okay about it all....

I lost the battle of the week but am rallying the troupes to take it on again....

I still have my tool and will do what I need to do to get myself where I need to be and I'm okay with that.....Plus we all came down with the flu....oh joy! But you know what I have no regrets because I am human and this is a constant battle that I have waged with myself for 56 years..And it will continue to wage war with me.....the hope is to never let it win..To pick myself back up and get going again......