Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abuse of wls..when it's not needed

Elode wrote:

I'm sure there are people out there that may not have actually needed the surgery but have the money and means to leave the country to Have it done out of vanity...I'm also sure there are surgeons in the world that are all about the money and could give a rats butt wether it's in the best interest of the patient or not.

@@Elode, I love your posts. But not this one ^^^.

FTR, doesn't bother me one bit if someone has WLS done out of *mere* vanity. If they can get to a normal weight and maintain it, instead of yo-yo dieting higher every time, they will win big-time.

FTR, I was miserable -- MISERABLE -- out of mere vanity. I became an agoraphobic for a year due to mere vanity. That was hard on not just me, but my husband too.

And @@Momma_D, if someone is 5'5" and needs to lose 85 pounds to reach a normal BMI, do you find them sufficiently fat to warrant WLS? BTW, how fat were you before you had surgery?

Edited by VSGAnn2014

@@VSGAnn2014 Well now, we can't agree on everything! That would just be weird! : )- I'm not talking about people who need the surgery I'm talking about the people who just want to be skinny and aren't even overweight in any sense of the word. Like.....people who have their ribs taken out just to have a smaller waist. No reason for it BUT If you have the money you will find a surgeon to do it for you. Like certain celebs! But like I said before to each his own I don't care I'm not paying for it and it doesn't effect me so....I'm just grateful for what I have. Like I always say "don't let your food get cold while your busy looking at everyone else plate".

50 lbs is equivalent to the average weight of an 8 year old child. Perhaps it doesn't seem like a lot to some people but it is a lot especially when you consider the weight being lost is comprised entirely of actual fat.

The idea of judging someone's motivations or worthiness when it comes to having WLS, seems a little ridiculous to me. I know for myself that people scrutinizing my body, weight and eating habits (and what I chose to do or not do about it) is just as inappropriate now as it was 50 lbs ago....and the 50 before that.

I am one of those people. I carry my weight very well and compared to other people in my support groups, I was always the smallest one there... But I have tried everything and no results whatsoever. I don't feel I'm abusing it, or taking the easy way out. I have tried just as hard as people bigger than me, and deserve to be respected just as much. A lot of people would talk about me because of this... A lot of people asked me if I was post op and it was embarrassing when I had to say no. I am now post op and feeling more confident than ever, and my feelings are what matter. I couldn't have had the surgery if I wasn't a candidate! That's the most important part. If they meet the requirements, they are perfect candidates! No if ands or buts about it!

I would like to thank those of you who understand my position and others just like me. I have the fat genes and have fought my weight forever! Being 5'00 @ 170 is just as bad as being 5'5 @ 235 lbs. fat is fat and it all sucks for every one of us. I no longer want to be sick nore do I want to yo yo diet anymore. I am following in my mothers foot steps, (who at 300lbs had the lapband 7 yrs ago) and I want to take care of this for once and for all before I end up at 300lbs with a whole other list of problems. So thank you for your support,as I support everyone of you in this journey! We are all in this together!

I think we have to be careful before we judge... my mother is only 50 pounds over weight but she has a debilitating disease that makes exercise impossible she already has two comorbidities so really surgery is the best option. She will be getting banded after my surgery we have to take turns because of my kids. I guess you just never know but I say if you have two or more comobidities then surgery is a valid option.

I remember going to WWs meetings and occasionally having a "skinny" walk in. I'd wonder to myself if they were a lifetime member, having lost and maintained their weight and was always pissed when I found out they were just starting and "only" had 10-20 to go. And I do mean PISSED. They didn't belong there, surely they were just sitting there in judgement, disgusted by those of us who had, 40, 60, 100+ pounds to lose. How the fluck could THEY understand the struggles of a a REAL fatty as they obviously never had weight issues?

Then one day a light bulb moment happened and I asked myself how much better (and easier) would life had been if I started WWs when I only had 10-20 pounds to lose. Huh... Who's the stupid one in this scenario?

And what genius came up with the perception that WLS is more risky on a body at a healthier weight, one not suffering from diabetes, sleep apnea, etc. (because the average human eye can SEE those things)? How in the world is it more dangerous to operate on someone who is starting out healthier? That doesn't even make sense.

Who is anyone other than the doctor/patient to sit in judgement on who should or should not have WLS? Why do you care? Even if this topic was started just for discussion, why is it even up for discussion?

Oh! Oh! I know! I want to be the one who decides who can and can't have surgery! Along with that, I want to decide who's hair is gray or mousy enough to color it, who's boobs are droopy enough to fix them, who's face is lined enough to need Botox, who's ass is nice enough to wear leggings, who's too old for short skirts AND who is too flabby to have a belly button piercing. Please?!?

@@Lipstick Lady, discussions are good because I think many of us have (had) the same line of thinking as you did before your epiphany. Sadly, some people never have that "'light bulb moment" and posts like this are eye-openers. This has the potential to be someone's light switch.

Btw, I have a confession: I still do sit in judgement of who should and should not wear leggings. It's because my thighs look like hell on wheels so I must judge. It helps me sleep at night. ????????

I would like to thank those of you who understand my position and others just like me. I have the fat genes and have fought my weight forever! Being 5'00 @ 170 is just as bad as being 5'5 @ 235 lbs. fat is fat and it all sucks for every one of us. I no longer want to be sick nore do I want to yo yo diet anymore. I am following in my mothers foot steps, (who at 300lbs had the lapband 7 yrs ago) and I want to take care of this for once and for all before I end up at 300lbs with a whole other list of problems. So thank you for your support,as I support everyone of you in this journey! We are all in this together!

That's 5' 0" !! I just want to repeat it. I'm also a shorty. Asking whether 50 qualifies for WLS is meaningless unless you know someone's height! I laugh when all these 5'5" ladies object to people having WLS with "only" 50 lbs to lose. Well yeah if I was 5'5" I wouldn't think it was such an issue either. But at 5'0" it a totally different story. BMI of 35 not including comorbidities.

I was just sleeved. BMI of nearly 50. I wish I had done it when I had "only 50 " lbs to lose along with diabetes sleep apnea HBP etc

Edited by Debbie Jean

@@VSGAnn2014 Well now, we can't agree on everything! That would just be weird! : )- I'm not talking about people who need the surgery I'm talking about the people who just want to be skinny and aren't even overweight in any sense of the word. Like.....people who have their ribs taken out just to have a smaller waist. No reason for it BUT If you have the money you will find a surgeon to do it for you. Like certain celebs! But like I said before to each his own I don't care I'm not paying for it and it doesn't effect me so....I'm just grateful for what I have. Like I always say "don't let your food get cold while your busy looking at everyone else plate".

Very similar to what went through my head when I read original post. It posits that there could be folks that would have the surgery but might not be a good candidate and that there are doctors who would do the surgery despite the patient not being a good candidate.

There are so many factors to consider in WLS other than 50lbs or 250lbs of excess weight. As I understand it (& I could be wrong as I am not a medical professional) one of the biggest and most important factors in deciding if someone is a good candidate is their state of mind.

I have a friend, an RN, 60lbs over. Considered WLS but ultimately decided against it because she is (in her words) ONLY 60lbs over. She said her dr thinks she could be a good candidate but giving her history of NOT having a life-long struggle with weight acquiesces to her decision that WLS isn't for her (again, going by only what she's told me.) She's already begun to reduce; last month she told me was down 6lbs because she gave up sodas. Conversely, I had a close friend (sadly deceased) who had anorexia. She would've given her kidney to have WLS and believe you me had she had the $ she would've found someone to do it. Where'd she get the idea? From pro-anorexic websites....which is what I had in mind in my earlier post.

So is it possible that there are folks who may need to lose weight and use WLS to assist in weight loss although they wouldn't be considered a good candidate? Of course. Are there folks out there who would do it to further their weight loss despite clearly not being overweight? YES! Just like there are people with a relatively (THINK ABOUT WHAT the word RELATIVE MEANS in this context) smaller amount to lose whose life would be saved by WLS and they're an excellent candidate but sadly can't get approval.

I do know that medical professionals employ a theory of trying conservative routes to some issues before using surgery because of risks, costs, etc., associated with surgery.

Look, WLS is a serious procedure and requires life long changes. As is any surgery.

I am glad everyone has gotten the help they needed! Here's to a healthy mind, body, and soul for 2015 for everyone! ????

Edited by tomi71

@@Lipstick Lady, discussions are good because I think many of us have (had) the same line of thinking as you did before your epiphany. Sadly, some people never have that "'light bulb moment" and posts like this are eye-openers. This has the potential to be someone's light switch.

Btw, I have a confession: I still do sit in judgement of who should and should not wear leggings. It's because my thighs look like hell on wheels so I must judge. It helps me sleep at night.

No, you are right and I agree with you. I love discussion and debate as long as it's responsible and the participants try very hard not to be offensive or easily offended. I think it was the way this "discussion" was presented that ruffled my fluffy tail feathers. I have little tolerance for judgement on something that is none of one's business, especially when it affects them in no way that I can gather.

Edit to add:

I totally judge leggings, short skirts, pierced belly buttons, bikini wearers, etc. Being a judgey b!tch is in my DNA. I just refrain from doing it where anyone but my besties can hear me or I can hurt the offenders feelings.

Edited by LipstickLady

@@Lipstick Lady, Indeed! I have thigh envy so bad!!

Edited to add: I just saw that the OP responded to those who commented, and it appears that the judgemental vibes were in full force. I failed to see that initially but y'all were correct.

Edited by BitterSweet*

50 pounds can make a huge difference in a person's health! Think of the impact 50 pounds can have on sleep apnea, diabetes, fibromyalgia, arthritis, heart conditions, GERD, and on and on.... Also aren't we tired of judgement? How much judgement did you endure regarding your weight? I read this and couldn't beleive one of our own had written it. :(

I completely agree with @lipsticklady. It was the judgemental way the Op presented the topic & the few judgemental posts afterwards. After reading the Ops 2nd post, I must conclude that some people are just determined to prejudge others...no matter what anyone else says. Unless you walk around interviewing "skinny" folks in the waiting room....all of this is either curious speculation or judgement...and as someone said above, "Why do you care?"