Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged Already

Hello fellow Dec. 8th Sleever. I am down 17 pounds, similar to you. I am not focused on the weight loss at this time. We should be doing whatever we need to do to heal. That is most important. Don't be so hard on yourself. Do you have any pain? I still have this sharp pain in my stomach. I did have some nuts the other day and think that may have been the reason.

@@Cindy's WL Roadtrip - Nuts this soon is a no-no, but I think you know that.

Nothing wrong with 14lbs!! I was sleeved dec 15 and am thrilled with the 8 I have lost...before I got sleeved I lost 0 lbs between August and December 1st when I started my liquid diet. My body had stalled at the place it always has....exactly the reason for the sleeve!

Think how hard it was to lose before and this time if you take the right steps the weight won't come back!

I am in so. Cal and having sleeve surgery 12/18.

How are you doing?

@lljenkins. I just read your post about feeling discouraged and saw the responses. I was sleeved 12/9 and felt / feel exactly the same I think that is a natural part of the process. I'm approaching 3 weeks and down 20 lbs so I'm feeling a bit better. But originally I had not lost anything the first week and a half and felt the same way you did - we just made this drastic change (and are still dealing with that emotionally) and are not seeing results. After the first week and a half i drastically lost 10lbs around the week and a half mark. Then 7 more pounds followed pretty quickly and just today another 4. I think the attitude that the others have comes with time and seeing the results and soon we will start seeing things that way. I'm starting to trust in the process and know that if I follow the rules it will all work out. I am addicted to my scale which is a terrible thing. I may need to,ask someone to hide it until I can break the habit!!

Hang in there you are not alone!!

Ann/ other veterans while we appreciate your candor and tough love --Please remember we are new to this process, not even in a month yet and are trying to learn how to live our new life and deal with all the emotions and new feelings that come along with the surgery. Often we see others results and feel like we may be doing something wrong or even worse, start to question our decision. We will learn in time. Please be patient. That's why we come to these forums for the advice and support of those of you who have been in our shoes.

You are doing great. Everyone loses at a different rate. Don't get discouraged this is only a minor bump on your wonderful journey. Just think would you have lost 14 pounds in 14 days with out the WLS. I am not saying it impossible to do but the surgery is your life tool give it time it will work. You are doing great so far.

I think the doctors put that idea in our head

Today is my 2 month mark from my surgery, I ve lost 35 lbs and my DR said Im behind that I supposed to loose 1 lb x day

Its stressing me out!!

I wouldn't of lost 35 lbs on my own yeez!!

Today is my 2 month mark from my surgery, I ve lost 35 lbs and my DR said Im behind that I supposed to loose 1 lb x day

Its stressing me out!!

That is awful! No one at my doctor's office has ever put a number on my weight loss. They've expressed the same happiness & encouragement each time I have been there. I've had f/u at 2 weeks, 6 weeks & 3 mths. Each time the loss was different. (26, 6 & 15) . I like that the nutritionist takes the time to review my diet and make suggestions. She even asked me to come to the support group since she felt I would be a good example to some of the pre-ops.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Thats how I felt

And my nutritionist was great!!!

I feel a lot more support from her. Im just eating healthy and be happy with my weight loss

Rather do it the healthy way so I dont get sick

But Thanks!

@@JustJaime5 Thank you so much! Thank you for understanding and for your words of encouragement. I am in tears reading this because I feel like someone finally understands me. Your wording is perfect. You will never know how much I appreciate you for writing this. It is such a big help for me. Bless you in your continued success!

Edited by lljenkins

Its stressing me out!!

I think your doctor is an idiot.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Lil....I was sleeved on Dec 2nd and have found it to be a journey. I think the reason most of us chose wls is because we were unable to lose weight on our own. I have kind of stalked the boards and always look for the encouraging posts. I don't need tough love or "mean" girl post such as Ann's!! They simply do me no good! I've gotten that my whole life! You don't need to do this to that...why are you so fat!!! That's why I chose weight loss! If a post has a mean girl attitude just stop reading and go to the next....Your here for encouragement, not a scolding! It's a new way of living for us and it can play mind games! Most have so much good advice!! The best to you:)

lljenkins.......I just passed my one year on 12/23/2014. During that year I have lost 66 of my original goal to lose 100 pounds. My doctor was not upset at all, and actually pared 20 pounds off of my goal at my one year follow-up. She said if I lose 14 more pounds, then plastics will take care of another 12-15 poundsa and she would call my surgery a success if I could do that.

If you had to duct tape six 10-pound bags of potatoes and a 5-pound bag of sugar and a 1-pound bag of carrots to your waist and hips, that is how much I do not have to carry around 24/7. What a relief!

Did I make it to goal......no. Did other people who had surgery in December 2013 lose twice as much as I did in half the time......yes. But I don't care. I look better and feel better and am satisfied that I have made a noble effort in changing almost everything about the way I approach food.

Since my insurance will not pay for a panniculectomy until two years post-op, I have a whole 'nother year to lose 14 pounds. That has really taken the pressure off of this whole process.

I have never been in a contest with anyone else to lose weight. In light of my medical concerns with 17 herniated discs and mobility issues, I think I have done outstanding well. My exercise program is bold, but inconsistent because of pain management issues. Overall, though, I do have better range of motion, my posture is better, my outlook on life is better because I no longer feel doomed to an early death. I am happier.

You hang in there and just follow the plan that was given to you. If your doctor and/or bariatric team do not like the rate at which you are losing, they can't undo your surgery, so "oh, well." Just give this your best effort and focus on fluids and Protein and not becoming part of the couch.

Do you know why horses wore blinders when going over the old wooden bridges? It was so they could stay focused on the steps ahead instead of getting distracted by their surroundings and what the other horses were doing and get spooked. Just stay focused on what You are supposed to do, and don't worry so much about those who seem to be passing you by.

Keep this in mind too, that a slower, more steady weight loss will help your skin to bounce back better. This is not a race to the finish - it is an all out war to reclaim a decent quality of life. Carry on, Soldier.

Hi - I was sleeved on the 19th and have had some of the same thoughts. Try not to let the "nay-Sayers" get you down. It is perfectly normal to be impatient. One thing my sister recommended and I have found has been really helpful is that I do not have a scale. I do - once a week- measure myself, which is helpful. The other positive thought is that if we loose weight slower than our skin will have more of a chance to "snap back" and we won't have quite as much loose skin hopefully.