Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not entirely sure how I found Bariatric Pal's website - I think it came up when I was initializing a new smart phone I had purchased after I lost my cell phone somewhere in the process of checking out of the hospital from my gastric bypass surgery. I think this is a wonderful meeting place to share experiences with those who have made the journey or are about to.

The last milestone I passed was my 6 week follow up with my surgeon and am down about 50 or so pounds and maybe 66 pounds from my highest weight ever. I spent a year researching the surgery and consulted with 3 different surgeons before making my selection as well as the final decision to undergo the surgery.

I spent that much time because at my present age of 63 I have fought this battle since the age of 6 or thereabouts. I was teased in grade school for being fat and have gone through multiple weight loss and weight regain cycles in my life. All of those weight loss/regain cycles were all just emotionally driven I came to eventually realize - I never "dieted" as much as I just followed patterns of abnormal emotional overeating followed by a period of emotionally fueled abnormal purging (diet/exercise) with corresponding fluctuations in body weight. Of course the trend has always been on an upward trajectory.

I eventually came to realize that the word "diet" is one of the most bastardized words in the English vocabulary, where it has come to mean patterns of abnormal eating behavior with its attendant body weight fluctuations. The reason why "diets" don't work is that long term success requires mastering that most difficult of all of human behaviors of "moderation", which I realized I lacked without some kind of unusual help.

I became interested in the surgery as a solution to this lifelong struggle when I noticed a co-worker losing over 100 pounds so I struck up a conversation with him about it and he said he underwent the gastric sleeve operation. I consulted with a surgeon shortly after and he said "don't base your decision on what soemone else did" - he then went on to recommend the bypass based on my health history and present state of health. He finished by saying that the bypass was more durable for long term success (based on my circumstances only).

I was on Metformin and simvastatin and 3 different blood pressure medications as well as Alopurinol to control excessive uric acids (gout). One year ago my physician put me on Qsyemia and my weight dropped from my highest weight ever of 350 pounds to about 310 but then came a cruise and it was back to the races on a weight regain spree. My weight shot up to 340 pounds when I sold a Harley Davidson motorcycle and used the proceeds to pay for the surgery.

It is the smartest thing I have ever done for myself. I am free of all the emotional demons driving my appetite. I no longer feel that compulsion or emotional addiction to food. I am feeling lighter and am exercising again and my first labs after the surgery were right down the middle of the fairway. I have quit the metformin and am looking at the hypertension meds next. I still use a CPAP intermittently but I think I will quit snoring once my weight drops below around 225.

I can't say enough good about the support and control I have gained and got my life back in control. I have a great wife, and great home life and career - I had so much going for me and I was ruining it being as usual my own worst enemy.

This is the greatest journey of my life - I know I will never look back again on a 50+ inch waist and 300+ pounds on the scale. I've still got a long way to go but I am on the cusp of being able to shop for clothing in more widely available sizes - II just could not be happier with the results.

What a wonderful back story- thank you for sharing and welcome to the boards! You'll find all kinds of opinions and advice from us here- all you have to do is ask! :)

What a wonderful journey. Good luck, and I wish you continued success.

@@mdnitschke, thank you for sharing your story. You obviously made the right choice, but as a dedicated rider myself I hope you get on another Harley soon. :) Yes, I obviously keyed in on the most important bits! I am having surgery in a week and can't wait for next riding season without the knee pain and hip pain caused by all this extra baggage.

I actually did get another Harley. I sold a tricked out Road Glide Ultra that I owned free and clear so I sold it to pay for the surgery and at the same time got a pretty sweet deal from an HD dealer on a leftover 2014 Softail Deluxe, and then qualified for .99% financing, so I essentially borrowed the money for the surgery from HDFS at a very reasonable rate and got a newer, lighter and more maneuverable bike for my in town riding which was what I was doing mostly. I wouldn't be without a ride. Post Christmas update: the wife got me a hot leather jacket in a much reduced size and it fits!!!

@@mdnitschke, I love that you "essentially borrowed the money for the surgery from HDFS" and got a new bike to boot! That's awesome! It's got to be hard to downsize from an Ultra, but the Deluxe is a great bike. I'm on a 2014 Switchback right now, but I've got my eye on a 2015 Softail Deluxe this coming Spring! I trade mine in every year (I work for HDMC), and I've been camped out in the Dyna family for 5 years. I mostly just use it for commuting and day trips, so the Dynas have been good to me. Still, I am looking forward to being able to handle a bigger bike and longer trips.

Congratulations on the new jacket! I hadn't considered that there will be all new riding gear in my future. :)