Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What took you to Mexico?

Hi all! I am hoping to get sleeved early next year. My insurance covers bariatric surgery and I meet the requirements so I will probably not have an issue getting approved. I've been starting to question whether or not Mexico may be a better option for me. The reasons being, the price isn't very much more than I would fork over for deductibles, co-pays, etc if using my insurance. Plus, I wouldn't have to do the 90 day diet that my insurance requires which would really speed things up! No lengthy approval process, no possible denial, fewer headaches, etc.

So I'm just curious, what made you all choose Mexico? I assume most don't have bariatric coverage on your insurance but is there anyone out there like me, who just wanted a faster process with less hoops to jump through?

While the price can't be beat, I'm having trouble finding any reviews or feedback on Dr Lopez! It's a little concerning. Maybe he's new to the game? Anyway, good luck! Your experience with him will probably be the first one many of us hear about!

If my insurance would cover the surgery, I would be going that route as opposed to going to Mexico. It is not because I am worried about going to Mexico at all, but having your surgery in the States allows for more continuity of care (ie follow up with your doctors and being monitored closely after discharge).

In addition, if you have complications, your insurance would pay for those. While Mexico sleevers can go to the ER if we have complications and will be treated (the Federal Law, EMTALA states anyone going to an ER must be treated), we would likely have to pay for that out of our pockets. An ER visit is very costly and I am praying I do not have to visit one!

Also, in my opinion, the counseling and diet is really important. Even though I am going to Mexico, I am paying for counseling out of my own pocket to make sure I have a clinical support person to help me with my issues with food and overeating. I use Betterhelp.com and talk with my counselor online whenever I want.

I also considered surgery for about 4-5 months prior to putting down my deposit. For me, cutting out part of my stomach was a huge decision that I talked about with my family, my counselor and my friends. LOL none of them were in favor of the surgery, but talking with them still helped :D

I would suggest thinking about this carefully and maybe making a list of the pros and cons of just paying out of pocket VS going through the insurance. Also add up the costs. I am paying 4600 for my package, I used miles + cash for my air ticket (which would have cost $800 but I only spent $200) and have bought about $400 in supplies...like Protein shakes, neosporin, bandages for home, post op Vitamins, etc. So, in the end, I am looking at about $5200 already.

But, Whichever path you choose, I wish you good luck!

Cheers!

Edited by shizwiz

While my weight is causing feet and knee problems, my BMI is not high enough to qualify me for surgery here in the US.

I am choosing to go to Dr Ariel L Ortiz. At the Obesity Control Center. I went to several us surgeons my bmi is 40.0 i have no current preexisting conditions other than my knees are trashed! I tried to play the insurance games but after a year they still said no. To pay an American surgeon lowest cost was 15000 most costly 23000. I am a nurse i have worked in just about every department and i have seen my share of butchers get into the obesity surgery game because cash! I decided to research fiund mexico on accident. The surgeon i choose has a bariatric specialty and accreditation! Important to me! The facility only does this type of surgery! That means its a mill that has this finely tuned! Like a well oiled machine! The cost was affordable grsnted more expensive then some other places but hopefully i get better services! I know another nurse who has been to mexico 2 times w her friends for surgery w be lightweight she swear by them! Their price is 4500. I will tell you if you know you want this dont mess w insurances!

@@Jill Pill I used Ariel Ortiz, you will love him and the standard of care at OCC. I had a wonderful experience. 1 year post op 113 lb downs tells the story, you will enjoy great success. Best of luck to you! Best advice I have is - as soon as you can exercise, do (was seven weeks out for me). I lost the bulk of my weight in the first six months so be as aggressive as you can with your plan. I lost 88 lbs in the first six, 25 in the following six and I didn't really change anything - loss just slowed.

I am the processing of making my Dr selection in Mexico. I am between Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Elias Ortiz. One through beliteweight and one through a alighterme. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated to help make this choice. With one you stay in the hospital the whole 3 nights and one you stay part in the hospital and part in a local hotel. The cost difference is about 2000 dollars, however, both surgeons are accredited and have wonderful reviews... They both have dates open for January... and I am ready to make this choice. I have been researching since I was denied by my insurance, as the surgery is an exclusion in my policy back in August of this year... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

I found an excellent doctor who has done more than 6000 sleeves. Dr. Alvarez. He is amazing and it was so easy.

I am the processing of making my Dr selection in Mexico. I am between Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Elias Ortiz. One through BeLiteWeight and one through a alighterme. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated to help make this choice. With one you stay in the hospital the whole 3 nights and one you stay part in the hospital and part in a local hotel. The cost difference is about 2000 dollars, however, both surgeons are accredited and have wonderful reviews... They both have dates open for January... and I am ready to make this choice. I have been researching since I was denied by my insurance, as the surgery is an exclusion in my policy back in August of this year... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

I had my surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz. I cannot say enough wonderful things about him, the hospital staff, and the staff of Alighterme! My insurance would only pay for lapband or full gastric bypass (neither I wanted), so I chose Mexico and self-pay. All of my follow-up care has been done by my primary care doctor and I was given my complete surgical records from Dr. Ortiz. I traveled alone but when I was picked up at the airport, the van was full of other patients having surgery the same day. We quickly became friends and still keep in touch regularly!

Greetings from Michael,

My story begins with research, research and more research. Like everyone I was a hound when it came to getting my gastric sleeve and wanted the best place so I checked all over the US and found out pretty quick I didn't have the time to jump through all the hoops since I was self paying. I contacted a friend who had a lap band done in Mexico with great success found out her doctor and hospital. I checked it all out had everything set to go there and something didn't set right with me. I looked again and came across Bariatric Pal Deals. I put in a request and got a call almost straight back from David Lopez. He told me he could get my surgery done at less than half the 8650.00 I was going to spend. He gave me the name of a doctor they use and hospital I researched it and it wasn't for me because I wasn't comfortable made my wife the same way. I talked to David again and he said they have other doctors and hospitals they use but it would cost more ( I thought here we go ) he gave me information on Dr. Zavalza and Hospital of the Oasis ( florence Health Systems ) and a price still less than half what I was going to pay. I researched the doctor and hospital and the only negative was the Oasis was an old hospital but being updated. I cancelled with the other company and went with all David had promised pick up at the airport in San Diego, Ca., ride to their condo, accompanied to the hospital with a translator, ride back to condo for recovery, ride to the airport to leave. What my wife and I got was so much more!!!! Robert picked us up at the airport on Sunday evening took us by a store to pick up a few thing we couldn't carry on the plane and then took us across the border to the condo. I thought it looked like a compound at first but that's where we met Juan ( aka Johnny ) he got us settled in and said if we needed anything he was right next door. My wife was hungry so we asked where we could walk to get something to eat for her Juan insisted that he go with us because some places he would need to translate we went for Chinese walk out short walk to stretch our legs and bring back to the condo. Just our luck we picked the coldest time ever in Tijuana to make this trip Dec. 28, 2014 and the rest of the week I don't think it ever got above 50 in the day and was low enough to snow yes snow in Tijuana. We settled in my surgery was scheduled for the afternoon of the 29th. Next morning my wife wanted coffee so we asked Juan and he walked with us and was the best ever tour guide since he grew up in this neighborhood along with David. We walked to Starbucks got my wife her coffee then continued to walk around the neighborhood with Juan showing us some of the best views. David and Juan took my wife and I to the hospital that afternoon for my blood work and medical history where I met Dr. Jose Luna he took all my information got everything cleared for the surgery. While I was doing all this David and Juan took my wife to a late lunch and when they got back I was almost ready for the surgery when I meet Dr. Zavalza and he comes in to see if we have any questions and let my wife know he was going to take good care of me. Put her right at ease. The whole staff at Oasis made us feel so comfortable that we told Juan we didn't need him to stay we where fine. After my surgery was complete Dr. Zavalza went and told my wife everything went as planned and I would be back from recovery soon. When I got back from recovery Dr. Luna was there to check on my vitals and get me up for a short walk around the room and make sure of my comfort. He stayed telling my wife until I was sleeping well he would not leave and ended up staying till 1 am when my blood pressure was down and I was sleeping. He came back the next morning after I had already been up walking the halls ( Big Key walk, walk, walk ) helps to get rid of the gas. The Hospital of the Oasis had to be the best choice ever because the have 3 nurses each shift and the do their hand off in the room with the patient all friendly and smiling. Wednesday we went back t the condo and again went for a walk with Juan to get stuff from the market that I needed to eat and drink. Thursday we ( Juan, my wife and I ) walked to Starbucks and continued to walk because I felt comfortable came back by the market and picked up dinner for my wife and Juan I wanted to say a little thanks to him he was such a great person. Later Thursday Dr. Luna came by to check my incisions and my lungs and got on me for doing to much. We sat and talked about the protocol he had put together about the next 6 months how to progress and what to eat and when and not to try and jump steps it doesn't work. After he left us not more than an hour later Dr. Zavalza came by the condo to check on us and go over his commitment to the next 2 years following my recovery and steps to make sure all this will be a success how we will Skype and keep in contact. I never had 2 doctors that cared so much to make themselves feel like family. I really was nervous at first going out of country to have surgery but would do it again in a heartbeat if I could be promised the kind of care I received with all these people I now call friends. I want to thank David, Juan, Robert, Dr. Luna, Dr. Zavalza, and the entire staff from the front desk to all the wonderful smiling nurses. Best group ever put together !!!!!!! We are back in Memphis, Tn. now and still doing great no pain. I don't gush over many things in life but I will over Drs. Zavalza and Luna and Hospital of the Oasis if you have the chance and are looking to find great people trust in prayers like we did because we got the best !! Much love for these folks.

"Dr Zavalza and Florence Hospital Pictures". Look up this and see where I was and Dr. Zavalza. Hospital and staff were great also for anyone interested.

Me too they will become new family. and Oasis will be a great hospital. Big smiles to everyone

Hello Everyone,

Im David Lopez The Patient Relations Manager for Bariatricpal.com, we work with several Certified and established Bariatric surgeons with thousand of successful surgeries

Dr jaime Ponce de leon

Dr Sergio verboonen

Dr Juan Francisco Zavalza

Dr Jesus Lopez

We offer Actual All Inclusive packages, that include Transportation, Medical Cost, Accommodations and Prescription Medications starting at $3499

Baritricpal.com owns 2 recovery condominium facilities and actually has a staff to help facilitate everything even just to keep you company if you travel by yourself

Please contact me and I will be happy to help take fantastic care of you

David Lopez

David@Bariatricpal.com[/quote

I've been researching and researching trying to figure out which Dr to have Sleeve surgery with. Most of them seem to be around $4600. Any input from you would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Which Dr's only charge $3499?

Kizzyfit,

I went to Dr. Zavalza you can look and see he has done a great job with me I will always sing his praise. He made us feel like family as well as the surgery went great. We also stayed in the condo which is where after I got out of the hospital again way above standards 3 nurses per shift at Oasis Dr. Zavalza came to check on me make sure all was well. Also Dr. Luna came by to check lungs and make sure all was well. Find the pic of my hospital stay at http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/328692-dr-zavalza-and-florence-hospital-pictures/