Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve in 2015

I was originally banded in Richmond, VA in 2008. I've gained and lost the same 50 pounds 4 times in the last couple years. I was never truly successful with the band and have had a whole host of complications. After jumping through hoop after hoop for the last two years I have finally been approved and will have the devil band removed and the surgery revised to the gastric sleeve in February 2015. I am anxious, afraid that I will fail at yet another procedure, but cautiously optimistic at the same time.

Congrats on a revision date! I also was banded in 2008, lost 70 lbs but ended up in the ER twice both resulted in having the band completely emptied and told to "start over" finally after the last complication in 2013 I told my surgeon not to refill it. after a year I ended up gaining all my weight back. I just had my revision Dec 15 where they took out the band and replaced it with the sleeve. I also am afraid about failing with this second surgery but you got to remember we have all the information for success it was just our tool complicated success. I feel this surgery is a bit more painful than the lap-band but I've been so excited already seeing results on the scale. These forums have been a life saver in my pre-op phase and now in my post op.Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the reply! I have been reading the forums since the days before my lap band procedure in 2008. I knew I had to get the band out when my stomach obstructed last year after a fill and I couldn't keep down Water. What do you see as the benefits of a revision? Is the VSG more predictable than the band? I don't know what I can eat on a day to day basis because the band is so fickle. In what ways was the surgery more painful?

I have a similar story. Banded in 2010...can't find my green zone...ugh. I've had a gazillion fills and now it's hard to feel restriction. I've bobbled between 30 lbs. I'm sick of this. I've had some back and knee issues (herniated discs and joint pain related to weight) which makes exercise painful. I exercise...have pain...feel frustrated...Anyways....just decided a revision to sleeve will be a good option for me. I'm just starting the whole process over. I start all my pre appointments in January when my new insurance starts. Please keep me posted on how you guys are doing. Best of success and here's to a fabulous 2015!!!!

Thanks for the reply! I have been reading the forums since the days before my lap band procedure in 2008. I knew I had to get the band out when my stomach obstructed last year after a fill and I couldn't keep down Water. What do you see as the benefits of a revision? Is the VSG more predictable than the band? I don't know what I can eat on a day to day basis because the band is so fickle. In what ways was the surgery more painful?

I chose the revision to the sleeve because I still don't like the whole rerouting of the intestines the bypass does. I also had heard so many good things about the VSG and when I met with my surgeon she said that was the way to go. I think also that VSG is so much more popular and common to see band to sleevers that there is more support available when issues arise. So far the sleeve is not as picky as the band- granted Im only 4 days post op so we will see as time goes- when they say full liquids they mean full liquids you cant go back to normal foods quickly like with the band. Im struggling with getting all my Water intake now because you constantly have to sip all day you cant take big gulps of water. Pain wise for me my band had adhered to my stomach so there was alot of scar tissue that had to be removed. Also the incision where your port was is the largest but they stretched that thing to the max so its more abdominal muscle pain than stomach pain.

My story is so similar. My numbers have not been so big, I cannot lose fast. I originally was banded to help with weight loss because I have a SCI and cannot exercise to the extent that gets a good cardio going.

I don't hate my band, and feel I would have gained so much if I didn't do it. After reading how comfortable the sleeve is, I have been settling uncomfortably for nothing? I have to stand to eat, or get up and move part way through the meal. I also have trouble with some clothes pressing on my port.

I chose the revision to the sleeve because I still don't like the whole rerouting of the intestines the bypass does. I also had heard so many good things about the VSG and when I met with my surgeon she said that was the way to go. I think also that VSG is so much more popular and common to see band to sleevers that there is more support available when issues arise. So far the sleeve is not as picky as the band- granted Im only 4 days post op so we will see as time goes- when they say full liquids they mean full liquids you cant go back to normal foods quickly like with the band. Im struggling with getting all my Water intake now because you constantly have to sip all day you cant take big gulps of Water. Pain wise for me my band had adhered to my stomach so there was alot of scar tissue that had to be removed. Also the incision where your port was is the largest but they stretched that thing to the max so its more abdominal muscle pain than stomach pain.

I have been reading your post,Thank you for the info.I also might go from the band to the sleeve.I am very nervous about this,could you please tell me more about the surgery- how long did it take? Etc. Any infro would be helpful.. Thank you!!

I have been reading your post,Thank you for the info.I also might go from the band to the sleeve.I am very nervous about this,could you please tell me more about the surgery- how long did it take? Etc. Any infro would be helpful.. Thank you!!

Sorry its taken me awhile to respond- been super busy. My surgery took a little over 3 hours (with my surgeon the sleeve surgery usually takes 2 hrs) mine took longer because I still had my band in- I know at least in my area most surgeons require the band out first then 6 months later doing the other surgery. My band had been empty for over 1 year which is why I was allowed to have 1 surgery. I had a 2 day hospital stay I was actually up and walking in the recovery unit post op. Pain was never an issue for me. I did have a complication- the site that my lap-band port was is the largest incision and because of all the work they do in that area along with my port had alot of scar tissue build up they had to remove i ended up with an infection. the incision leaked about 10 days later resulting in me going back in and having the site drained and being placed on antibiotics for 7 days. Overall I really wish this surgery was an option when I had my band put in. This has been the best decision I ever made. Im almost a month post op, i've lost 30 lbs total but i have plateaued because i have not been getting enough food in. My doctor today said when i get my Protein back up I will start losing again. (Im currently getting 60oz Water and maybe 50grams Protein (needs to be 70grams) ) the biggest difference ive noticed is the instant restriction. I have no appetite currently and have to set alarms to remind myself to eat. I just got back to solid foods and it took me an hour to eat half a sub which i took apart and only ate 1/2 the bread. If you have any other questions or want me to explain more feel free to ask!! :)

I revised 3 years ago. My experience is that the sleeve feels more natural, like I just have a smaller stomach. :)

My comments are my personal observations...

The sleeve is more consistent and not as restrictive as a filled band. I do not experience stuck or regurgitation. Only handful of times I vomited was from wolfing food.

I was banded in 2001 at 272 and got to about 205 in a year. I had bad side effects from the beginning but by year 2 they were intolerable and all Fluid was removed. My highest recorded weight was 332 by 2005. Did weight watched etc and spent many years in the 240-275 range.

I had my band removed in Sept 2011 and sleeve done Dec 2011. I weighed 308. I got to my goal of 158 in 14 months. I got down to 140 but am currently in the 150s. I lost 160#! !!!!

So I find maintenance takes focus and I can see how easy it would be to regain but I am so far successful! !! I have never been able to maintain a big loss for very long pre-sleeve.

I was banded in 2008 and am having revision on Monday. I am so excited. I never had trouble with the band apart from my own inability to work with it. I lost 40 pounds but only when I was eating nothing and working out twice a day. When I couldn't keep that up the weight came back.

I feel a lot better prepared thi s time. Head's in a better place, older and wiser, researched more, and with a better tool I feel very optimistic.

This forum has been great, incredibly helpful.

My experience is much like cowgirljane's. I haven't ever gotten stuck or thrown up with the sleeve. I can eat anything - no issues with sweets or dense foods (a bummer in a way but overall good). It does just feel like I have a smaller stomach/appetite and fullness just feels natural - like I've had enough rather than I cant eat more even though I want to (like band can feel like).

As Jane also mentioned it's not as restrictive as a tight band, so if I don't watch my eating I can easily eat more calories than I should to even just maintain. Perhaps it's because my surgeon used a slightly larger bougie on me (40) due to band history and potential scar tissue. But if I focus on Proteins and veggies it's easy for me to keep overall calories down while feeling satisfied.

I'm nervous about the long term, but optimistic that I'll be able to maintain a much lower weight than I would have if I didn't have this surgery - even if I don't get "skinny".

So, after two years of work (and fighting insurance) I am now just a few hours away from revision surgery. I am nervous...because it is surgery. And, I am nervous because of the increased complication risk with lap band to VSG surgery. I keep telling myself I am in the best place possible for this surgery...no health issues, not on medicine, no serious complications with the band (other than not losing weight). But, I'm still afraid I won't wake up or I will spring a major leak, get sepsis, and die.

Here's hoping that my wild imagination is just that....wild!

how are doing @Jlkhollins? I know it is so scary, revisions are riskier than "virgin sleevers" but even so, the vast majority of people are just fine! Even the peeps with complications do fine in the end... so think very positively... you will do great!

I was originally banded in Richmond, VA in 2008. I've gained and lost the same 50 pounds 4 times in the last couple years. I was never truly successful with the band and have had a whole host of complications. After jumping through hoop after hoop for the last two years I have finally been approved and will have the devil band removed and the surgery revised to the gastric sleeve in February 2015. I am anxious, afraid that I will fail at yet another procedure, but cautiously optimistic at the same time.

I'm also worried about the same things. Going through the revision next week myself

My story is similar...banded in 2011...going through revision process and nervous about all the same things you're all mentioning. Great to have the support.