Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOL.... you are going to open that can of worms?!?

It really comes down to YOUR choice... the surgeon will explain the varieties and why they may be good for you, and then you (or your insurance) decides.

Some insurance companies still don't cover the sleeve.

Personally, the sleeve felt like the best for me... I liked the idea of keeping my insides in tact so the nutrients stayed in my system, etc. I know several people that had the bypass 10+ years ago and said if they could do it over, they would have chosen the sleeve.

Your co-morbidities, gerd, and other factors will play in to your decision.

Good luck (glad you are not considering the band...just MY opinion)

Edited by BigGirlPanties

My first appointment with Dr is January 7th to learn more about weight loss surgery. Which do you think is better sleeve or bypass?

@jeniker3. No one can tell you what's the right procedure for YOU. I did months of research and went to several Info sessions before I decided when I went in & met with my surgeon. Last year at this time I attended my first info session and just knew I would have a Lap Band the least invasive but on Oct 14 I had the Vertical Gastric Sleeve and have been so happy with my decision. I read Al Rokers book "never Going Back" "Fighting Weight by Kahilah Ali & the Big Book on Gastric Sleeve" my favorite for medical facts the Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success.

I also researched the background of several Surgeons before decided who I felt most comfortable with. Both The Bypass the most intrusive and the Sleeve are major surgery's requiring full anesthesia. And the surgery is only part of the process you must make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and exercise. For me I had tried many of diets before and exercise and lost before only to gain it back plus more. bariactric Surgery is different its changes your whole life.

Choose your surgeon & procedure carefully. Ask all your questions now

I've watched videos and have researched on both. My main confusion is the bybass, what do they do with the larger stomach that is seperated. Does it just hang out in your body or does it still function is some way?

I've watched videos and have researched on both. My main confusion is the bybass, what do they do with the larger stomach that is seperated. Does it just hang out in your body or does it still function is some way?

You can search on YouTube for videos of the surgery not post-205891-14189273676029_thumb.jpgan expert on bypass but I believe it's reduced into a small pouch with the larger segment removed. Then the pouch is connected directly to lower intestine. Here's a graphic. I know folks who are happy with their bypass.

The stomach is sectioned off but it indeed still intact inside the body. This is a factor in why many of us choose the sleeve over the bypass. In the sleeve the stretchy part gets removed and is probably fertilizing someone's garden. Lol.

The stomach is sectioned off but it indeed still intact inside the body. This is a factor in why many of us choose the sleeve over the bypass. In the sleeve the stretchy part gets removed and is probably fertilizing someone's garden. Lol.

Thanks@@Forsythia for correcting me. I spent more time researching the Lapband & VGS once I learned malabsorption would be an issue and they would reconfigure ny intestines I forgot about the bypass as a option for me.

Thanks@@Forsythia for correcting me. I spent more time researching the Lapband & VGS once I learned malabsorption would be an issue and they would reconfigure ny intestines I forgot about the bypass as a option for me.

Definitely not correcting you, just adding on. I think a lot of people worry that since the majority of stomach is still in there and no longer accessible, what would happen if there were an issue like a cancer that could be missed because you can't scope it. Either way, the op needs to weigh pros and cons of both!

Definitely not correcting you, just adding on. I think a lot of people worry that since the majority of stomach is still in there and no longer accessible, what would happen if there were an issue like a cancer that could be missed because you can't scope it. Either way, the op needs to weigh pros and cons of both!

@@Forsythia No Worries best thing about BP is we all know something about this world and it gives anyone considering surgery some real life experiences to learn from. Then they can take that to their Surgeons and Primary and mixed it all together.

When did you have your sleeve and how are you doing?

After reading up on the three most common procedures, I decided on the sleeve. I think the lap band has the highest failure rate; not because of the procedure itself, but because it's the easiest to misuse and cheat. I've seen/heard/read of many people converting from band to sleeve. The bypass seemed too extreme for the 110 lbs I wanted to lose and I worried about the malabsorptive aspects of the procedure. It seems that more daily supplements might be required to replace nutirients that aren't absorbed. Also, I got the impression that the skin used to create the new pouch is very elastic. I worried about it stretching and allowing me to cheat it as well. So the sleeve seemed to hit the Goldilocks spot right in the middle. It's permanent. It allows for more nutrient absorption than the bypass. The remaining portion of the stomach is less stretchy. And this is a biggie.... The area of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrellin is in the section that is removed during surgery. The Wikipedia article on ghrellin states that the sleeve procedure reduces ghrellin levels 60% long-term. So that sealed it for me.

You will have to decide which procedure is right for you based on your research and conversations with your doctor. As others have stated, the answer will involve the amount of weight you need to lose, your co-morbidities, and your ability to stick with different levels of follow-up care. Good luck with your decision!

@@Forsythia No Worries best thing about BP is we all know something about this world and it gives anyone considering surgery some real life experiences to learn from. Then they can take that to their Surgeons and Primary and mixed it all together.When did you have your sleeve and how are you doing?

Sleeve was in may. I'm great. Over 100 lbs lost post surgery, and over 120 from my all time high. Can't complain.

My surgeon advised my to get the sleeve because of my anemia. I know of someone who had a gastric bypass and now needs regular blood transfusions because she her anemia.

Good luck with whatever you decide.