Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good day everyone!

I just had my VSG surgery 2 days ago and have been getting up to walk around about every 2 hours. However I'm noticing some pain in both my calves. There's no swelling, or redness, or even tenderness. They feel sore, like after a charlie horse. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your help!

I haven't experienced that but why not treat it like a charlie horse and increase your potassium? If that fixes it, then you may just be having a mild charlie horse. Good sources are bananas, coconut Water and gatorade.

Haven't had this problem but like BLERDgirl said, potassium could be a factor. Another big factor could be dehydration! Dehydration can cause muscle cramps as well as a whole myriad of other things. Make sure you're getting as much Fluid as possible in your newly revised stomach. :)

I had that problem, not sure why but it could've been the machine they used when they wrapped up my legs to prevent clots from forming. Because as soon as the took them off I was sore in my calves.. Took about a week or two to feel back to normal..

I had this exact problem!!!! I understand how scary it is. My calves were sore, and when I would walk every now and then I would feel a charlie horse spams like thing. I was walking often, going up stairs, wearing the calf compression cuffs, everything. No redness, swelling, or knots. My mom is a nurse practitioner so I had her check often for blood clots, and nothing. I had a check up with my surgeon's PA. She checked it out and said it was completely fine. It has to do with dehydration. Water is getting sucked out of your muscles to make up for lack of hydration which causes them to spam. Something like that. So don't worry! I've been drinking more Water and the pains have gone.

She said you will KNOW you have a blood clot. Your calves will swell, you will most likely have a noticeable knot, it'll be red, and it will hurt, and continue to hurt. I think you're fine! Just try to drink more water ;) :D

That's good to know. Thanks guys. I'm trying my best to stay hydrated, but I'm still getting adjusted to how much I can take at one time.

I agree with what others have said.

Not to scare you, but you may want to let your doctor know. Especially if your leg(s) swell. There is the potential for blood clots.

I recently had shoulder surgery and 4 days later my calves hurt. I went to the ER and turns out I had DVT or Blood clots in my calves. VERY dangerous..Please let your doctor know, the feeling was similar to sore calves and if i didnt just have surgery I probably would have just let it go..

Just be careful and monitor the pain. If you have trouble breathing or get sharp stabbing pains in your upper body get to the hospital immediately. A blood clot can travel fast and do damage fast.

Mine is Fluid. I have the same thing and I've had it for over a month. It is pitting edema.

I always carried a lot of Fluid in my ankles before surgery and now there is less body to handle the fluid. My doctors say my body will regulate on its own, but it will take some time.

I had the sonogram to look for blood clots and there weren't any.

I am on hydrochlorothyazide (fluid pill) to help with this, but this has made me low on magnesium, which will also make your legs hurt, and potassium.

You should tell your doctor so they can manage this. If it gets out of hand, you can get infections that will really mess your legs up.

I am doing fine and you will be to -- but please talk to your doctor about it. Don't try to treat it on your own!

Good luck!

Edited by Tashabella

@@Tashabella, have you tried compression garments to alleviate your chronic leg swelling?

Mine is Fluid. I have the same thing and I've had it for over a month. It is pitting edema.

I always carried a lot of Fluid in my ankles before surgery and now there is less body to handle the fluid. My doctors say my body will regulate on its own, but it will take some time.

I had the sonogram to look for blood clots and there weren't any.

I am on hydrochlorothyazide (fluid pill) to help with this, but this has made me low on magnesium, which will also make your legs hurt, and potassium.

You should tell your doctor so they can manage this. If it gets out of hand, you can get infections that will really mess your legs up.

I am doing fine and you will be to -- but please talk to your doctor about it. Don't try to treat it on your own!

Good luck!

If you doctor puts you on Water pills you should be replacing that potassium. Eat a banana, drink some coconut Water or gatorade. I can't use water pills because it triggers my BPPV so if you experience dizziness or vertigo call your doctor ASAP.

@@Tashabella - If you're like me your pitting edema may be to lack of activity. When I was working a desk job I started having trouble with that. It's one of the reasons I started taking Water aerobics. I can't take Water pills and drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day wasn't helping. I needed to increase the circulation in my legs. One month after I started water aerobics 2 x's a week my legs cleared up.