Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did your hair loss start?

My doctor told me that Hair loss was actually not that common. You just hear about it because its drastic. When you look at the stats, its rare. Not sure how true that is...just his message to me.

I lost hair by the mit full from 3-5 months when it started to slow a bit. Now that I am just coming on 7 months out I think (pray) that I'm done losing hair. Lots of new Hair growth and very little loss in the shower. Whereas during the initial stages of Hair loss I would have handfuls of hair coming out.

I would note though that ANY surgery that I have had has caused me to have loads of hair loss so to me this was totally expected.

I started losing handfuls of hair arouns 2.5 months out. Tomorrow is my 7 MONTHS SURGIVERSARY and I am still losing a lot more hair than before surgery, but it is slowing down. The loss is noticeable, but apparently, only to me. Not to my fiancee, BFF, or even my stylist! I am lucky to have very thick hair to begin with, so now my hair is sort of "average thickness". I'm actually liking having less bushy hair for once in my life, but I'd also like it to stop. All the Hair loss adds a lot of time to my showers.

Same here. Biotin, Protein, Vitamins, nothing helped prevent. Going to salon tomorrow and having a pixie cut done.

I would like to add that sometimes it is simply rapid weight loss that causes the Hair loss. I went to a weight loss clinic for 6 months. They put me on a high Protein low carb 800 calorie a day diet, very similar to what I'm doing now. I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and I lost gobs of hair despite taking all the supplements and Biotin. My hair is fine and thin so it was very noticeable to me. It took a long time for it to get back to normal. So far I haven't had any abnormal hair loss but I won't be surprised when it starts to happen. :-(

My Hair loss started around 3 months and continued to 5 months. Scared my poor hairdresser to death! She washed my hair and there was a bowl full of hair left in the sink. I am 6 months out and the hair loss stopped for me around 5 months. It was very scary losing so much hair but now I kind of like my thinner hair. Much more manageable! It is starting to grow back but it is not cute, I have an inch of baby hair all around my head.

My Hair loss started around 3 months and continued to 5 months. Scared my poor hairdresser to death! She washed my hair and there was a bowl full of hair left in the sink. I am 6 months out and the hair loss stopped for me around 5 months. It was very scary losing so much hair but now I kind of like my thinner hair. Much more manageable! It is starting to grow back but it is not cute, I have an inch of baby hair all around my head.

I think the new growth looks absolutely hilarious. Like a chia pet!!

Yes! That is exactly what it looks like! A Chia Pet! So not cute!

My Hair loss started about three months after my weight loss surgery. It has been almost 9 months and I have noticed a decrease in loss. I also take Biotin everyday.

Mine started at 8-10 weeks and it is significant. :( I am 3.5 months out.

I wonder if having this type of surgery also affects the thyroid gland. One of the symptoms (major symptom for me before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1995) of hypothyroidism is Hair loss, and for me it was by the clumps! Other symptoms include being cold, weight gain, and lethargy. I had all of those, as well. Apparently there are many people out there who have hypothyroidism who don't know they have it, as the symptoms creep up slowly, and sometimes there are no symptoms at all. A simple blood test at your doctor's office will tell you if you have it. I take a tiny pill every morning that takes care of my symptoms. Worth looking into if you think you may have it. I wonder if having hypothyroidism and having the sleeve surgery may enhance hair loss. I will be asking my GP when I see her in February. I'll also ask my surgeon (if I ever see him again!). Good luck all!

My hair fell out the same way after my gall bladder surgery, so for me I think it wasn't the nutrition or the thyroid, it was something about the anesthesia. I am getting wrist surgery in January and am a bit nervous! Don't have a lot of extra hair left to lose this time!

I don't know about anesthesia, t I have had 21 surgeries and never had an issue with Hair loss, just some memory loss. This is such a strange phenomena, I'm surprised they haven't done a study or something on it, especially since there are so many who have experienced it. Hopefully someone will do it soon, and ease everyone's mind (and hair!).

I don't know about anesthesia, t I have had 21 surgeries and never had an issue with Hair loss, just some memory loss. This is such a strange phenomena, I'm surprised they haven't done a study or something on it, especially since there are so many who have experienced it. Hopefully someone will do it soon, and ease everyone's mind (and hair!).

Different things affect people differently. I have read that the anesthesia can stop the growth phase of the hair so any hair in the telophase stage of development basically stops and that is the hair that falls out later.

I'm 3.5 months out and I've been taking Biotin, all the supplements and Kreatin Shampoo and mine just started coming out a little more but not real bad. Trying to keep Protein up somedays not all but I'm working at it.