Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Shapers ( Spanx)

Before I purchase any I would like anyone's advice on them. High waist, long legs, etc. Any good web sites to visit to educate myself on them? Thanks for any advice or experience.

I'd like to hear what folks have to say... personally I don't think I'd invest in some...but that's me... but...who knows ;)

I would like to hear answers and advice on this too.

I like the body Spanx that are one piece and drop below your bust line. I like to wear my own bra.

I don't think I can afford plastics. So this has been a good option to hold the loose skin. The only people to see me O natural are me the hubby and the occasional Dr.

Spanx has a cheaper brand available in Target and other department stores called Assets. I've tried the kind that are just like high waisted panties and the kind that have the legs too. I hate them both. Even with the little grippy plastic strip at the top, they want to roll down at least once. Where mine hit me when it was up was just at the right spot for the band to squeeze across my tummy. I swear that I had more problems with acid whenever I was wearing it because of that.

They usually come with a strap that can attach to your bra to prevent rolling, but it's a pain in the butt to use and mostly just pulls your bra down. Also, Lord help you if you really have to pee cause you're going to have an accident. They're hard enough to get up/down on their own, but if the straps are attached too and the mood strikes.. Godspeed. Even with a larger size, I still have to basically do jumping jacks to get them up and down. I don't think the slimming effect is noticeable enough to make the hassle of it worth it. They do help keep things in place when you bend over.. other than that, I couldn't tell much difference though. If I was going to invest in another shaper, I'd try the cami. At least then I could go to the bathroom without the trouble of getting it down and back up.

I like the under the bra tank tops or the high waisted panties that go up below the bra. There are lots of brands out there. Spanx, Maidenform, Flexees, Hanes. They are not going to make you a size smaller, but they will smooth out lumps and bumps and minimize any rolls you are looking to camouflage when you have an important event like a wedding or a job interview.

If you are going for maximum control, try them on - they need to be tight. I find the size charts on those garments (the tank tops and high waisted panties) the size charts don't really match up to your measurements correctly. Like, you have to struggle a bit to get into them. If you can slip them on, they are too big. Now, I don't mean struggle to the point where you can't breathe or can't get out of them, but, they should be challenging. For the more pantyhose type Spanx shapers, follow the size chart on the back of the package and go by your height/weight. Those are pretty accurate in my experience.

I have a few pieces. I depends on what I am wearing. For everyday and the gym I have compression pants and top. For dresses I have this long slip. I also have a few pantie like garments. The ones I like the best all have high waist. This way they don't roll down.

I wear a tank top by Maidenform self expressions. Ordered it from Amazon. It is not to tight but smooths everything out nicely. I also like that it is long enough that it holds my tummy in and makes it appear a little smaller. It also doesn't ride up. I am 5'3" so that might be why it's long enough. It seems to run true to your shirt size. Also, they are a lot cheaper than Spanx and I love the adjustable spaghetti straps.

I just bought some of the camis that you can wear your own bra with - the Maidenform brand and I LOVE them!! Seriously am wondering why I haven't been wearing them my whole life. I wear a size large in clothes but had to get a 2x in the shaper. Works great to tighten and smooth. Yes, the straps slip down, but the shaper doesn't roll up or squeeze too tightly. Good luck!!

Any advice for men on this topic? Not so much for 'shaping' as for holding what my wife calls my upcoming "saggy-baggy elephant-ness" (her favorite book as a kid) in place.

@Smye- Try compression shirts, Spanx for men and I think body magic has a male t shirt as well.

Spanx brand has been my favorite for a few years. The assets brand by Spanx have not been as durable and feel like they are made with cheaper materials. The assets brand ones I have had broke down way before my Spanx brand. I also love the ones that look like underwear with the high waist. I put the underwear spanx on and then put my bra on. My bra helps to keep the top of the waist band in place ;) I would like to find some compression wear for when I go to the gym. As I am getting more active, I hate how much my whole body jiggles. It doesn't feel great and I can only imagine what it looks like .

Any advice for men on this topic? Not so much for 'shaping' as for holding what my wife calls my upcoming "saggy-baggy elephant-ness" (her favorite book as a kid) in place.

Before surgery, and before loosing weight, I would wear the Spanx t-shirts for men whenever I was doing public speaking...

I'd like to think it helped....

Now I am a size 33 waist...

@@BLERDgirl, and @@B-52,

Thank you both so much! I'm 10 days pre-op and having a game plan here is very comforting as I'm going through this emotionally roller coaster.