Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popsicle warning for those newly sleeved

My doc recommended sugar free Popsicles to help hydrate post op but I've found that most brands have sugar alcohol in them. I stopped eating them yesterday and gas pains have been greatly reduced. ( sugar alcohols cause gas in many people)

If you are recently sleeved, eating SF Popsicles and can't get rid of gas, sugar alcohol may be contributing to some of it. It seemed to be for me.

Thank you for the tip!! You probably just saved a ton of people from gas pains. I will definitely heed your warning!

thank you for the warning. i also did sugar free EVERYTHING...and post surgery i was in so much pain, feeling sick...you name it, i was it! found out the artificial sweetners were causing bloat, headaches and extreme thirst! i got rid of EVERYTHING sugar free about 4 days post op. if i NEEDED it to be sweetened, i added minute amounts of real sugar. what a lifesaver!!! within 2 days, it was like i was a new person i felt so much better.

my Sleevie hated fake sugars post surgery. now i'm healing much better and tolerate them--but they are so unhealthy, i just stick to tiny amounts of real sugar, or i Water things down.

Now that you say that, it makes so much sense. Thank you :)

That makes perfect sense! Can't believe nobody has made that connection before.

As for me, Artificial sweeteners hurt my sleeve postop so I didn't do sugar free anything for 4 months. I drank milk, Regular lifewater, regular Vitamin Water, pedialyte, diluted fruit juice, Powerade, etc. I had to find Protein drinks sweetened with stevia or real sugar or make my own with unsweetened powders. I used honey and Torani syrups to sweeten plain Greek yogurt. Made popsicles by freezing Protein Drinks.

After 4 months I could tolerate the sweeteners but don't really like the taste.

This is so right! sugar free popsicles are flavored with Aspertame. So is Crystal Light. I have asthma and this horrible additive causes coughing and problems with breathing. And it also causes bloating and gas. I tried the popsicles first day after surgery and I was in agony. The things you are not warned of post-op are remarkable.

I'm an RNY'er but I've been eating these since after the surgery and they don't bother me at all. Perhaps this should just be a general informative warning.

Probably a stupid question, but why can we not have regular popsicles? It would be a very small amount of sugar and if thats one of the only things you can tolerate for a few days, seems like it would be ok.

There is a lot of sugar in regular Popsicle's. I think the point of not eating them is to get you away from sugars and bad habits. I've had no problems with the sugar free Popsicle's.

I also found that eating a cup of custard every night helped me lose weight faster than not eating it. I guess it raised my calorie intake. My body thought it was starving before. I'm not eating sugar free custard and this week makes 11 weeks I do believe.

Why nor eat a regular popsicle with sugar?