Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol after sleeve?

I had my sleeve August 18th 2014. I have not drank any alcohol since August the 9th over 4 months. I am wanting to drink but I am afraid for a few reasons. I am afraid I will gain weight, afraid I will get sick or dehydrated, but the weight gain is my biggest worry I have come to far to fail now. Any sleevers that drink ???

Edited by tabithacool66

I occasionally drink - tequila, beer, Mike's Harder Lemonade. I don't drink very often, so it was about 6 months post-op before I had my 1st drink.

Now that I'm 2 years post-op, I'm not worried about drinking. But for the 1st year, I was worried about the extra calories in alcohol.

I just take into account the approximate calorie count in my drinks and cut back on my carbs to make up for it.

I have notice that I get a buzz faster, but it doesn't seem to last as long. B)

Edited by joatsaint

I guess it depends on how much you drink.

;)

I've had 8 drinks in the last 2 months. I don't think it's slowed me down at all. I simply count it in my daily calories / carbs (I use My Fitness Pal).

I do the same thing with calories its kinda like being on Weight Watchers

I am 5 months out and had my first small glass of wine a few wks ago...it was just a few ounces an it was nice. It was 2am an I could not sleep for nothing. I layed there after 2 hrs an said heck with this I got up an poured me some wine...went back to bed. didnt bother me...I hesitated at first but went for it. did good..:)

I was sleeved August 4th 2014 Had my first glass of wine about a Month ago, I was so afraid of the effects that it took almost 1/2 hour to get down one glass. I know what you're going to say, at that point why ever bother Right !! But it sure went down smooth. I have tried Beer on two occasions with the same results and Ole Sleevie Wonder did just fine !

Had my first wine at 4 months. Had first hard liquor (vodka and whiskey) about six months out. Can't do beer at all...too much carbonation. I did manage to drink hard cider after letting it set over ice for a bit. I probably drink alcohol 3-4 times/month. I did have 2-3 cocktails everyday for 10 days straight when I was on vacation and then at a conference back in October. The 3 notable results were....1) I discovered alcohol does not affect me any differently than preop...I barely get buzzed. 2) that much alcohol gave an upset stomach (gastritis) that was fortunately fixed with 10 days of omeprazole, and 3) I gained 4 pounds that was most likely Water weight because it came off easily in a week.

I know transfer addictions can happen after bariatric surgery, and I definitely used to turn to food AND alcohol for comfort. So I make it a point to NOT drink when I'm sad or upset or stressed. I consider those "trigger emotions" and make sure I do not default to the old habits during those times.

Edited by Kindle

I was sleeved September 14, and I enjoy a drink now and again. I drink Advocaat and 7-up, the Advocaat has a little Protein in it (small amount), but I also drink a lot of mineral Water as well, so I just add a little vodka, some pomegranate juice and Ice to my mineral Water and it makes a nice light cocktail. But it's still the calories you have to track, it doesn't matter if they're in solid or liquid form, they all count. I had my first alcohlic drink two months after surgery, just one or two, and didn't have any adverse effect, but I'm just as happy to drink straight mineral water with ice and lemon as I am to have an alcoholic beverage. Moderation is always the key!

I am certainly looking forward to that first glass of wine! Maybe for my birthday...

4 weeks post op and I'm gonna wait a few more to have anything. Pre op I was a weekend and vacation red wine drinker.

I was at a friends last week and had a small glass of really good scotch with a little Water. Sipped it over a while. No issues!

I find that you need little for a buzz.

If I drink it do a vodka Water with lime. Don't need much and has the least amount of calories in alcohol.

I'm 6 mo post op