Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

western Maryland

I've just begun the process of looking into WLS focusing mainly on the RnY bypass. I live in Hagerstown, and our local hospital, Meritus, has a program. When I looked at the website, the 4 doctors listed are all DO's. I know DOs go to med school just like MDs and have had personal experience with an excellent DO for my mom's oncologist; however, I didn't realize they did WLS. Anyone have experience with Meritus for this? I could also go to Frederick or Baltimore I suppose but having things closer to home would really help with post-op b/c I am not going to have any real support here at home and will have to rely on friends if I'm unable to drive, or have complications. I have an appt scheduled for a consult late Jan with them.

Hi Drmeow,

I am in Frederick. I decided to travel to Baltimore for my surgery. I didn't like the fact that all the doctors at Meritus had their practices in Pennsylvania. I checked some in Frederick, but was only able to find one doctor that did the surgery. I have not had surgery yet, but am scheduled for January 20th with Dr. Schweitzer.

Hi Drmeow,

I'm in Frederick and am going through the program at FMH. I attended the information session at the hospital with Dr. Stephen McKenna and I really liked him. I had my first appointment at the office this past Thursday and was equally impressed with the staff. It was like a well-oiled machine!!! I'm not used to that level of efficiency, LOL!

Out of all of your options, Baltimore and PA and WV, I have to think Frederick would be a lot more do-able!

Let me know if I can help you or if you have any questions about the program out here.

I too am from Frederick County. I opted for Northern Virginia because Fair Oaks was a Center of Excellence.

You don't see the doctor that much so going somewhere our of the area isn't that big of a deal. You should shop around. Don't let distance be the deciding factor.

Just FYI, the doctors at Meritus do have offices here in Hagerstown - I have an appt there in January, right downtown. I'm not sure if they divide their time between Hagerstown and Harrisburg PA or if they've all moved here from there, but they definitely do see patients here.

Even though you don't see the doctor that much, having surgery out of the area may prove problematic for me b/c I will have to rely either on my oldest son (if he can get leave) or a friend to drive me there and pick me up. Plus, I assume there will be quite a few post-op visits, at least with a nurse or nutritionist, and I would think those would be associated with the area the surgeon is in.

I will see how the appt in Jan goes and then look farther afield if I'm not comfortable. Thanks for the info.

I had surgery with Dr. McKenna at Frederick Memorial on 10/28 and could not have been happier with the entire process! The hospital was much nicer than any of the others in my area!

Hello everyone I am also from the Hagerstown MD area and am just starting my journey on getting the lap band.... I have lived in this area now for a little over a year and don't really know anyone... my main supporter is my Hubby :) .... I would love to be able to have a Chat buddy to be able to talk to about your experiences and so forth before and after surgery... I have been looking into getting the surgery at Meritus Hospital also :)

Hi Darkfeary! I'm in Frederick! :)

Hi @@darkfeary474 I am in the Frederick area also! Having my surgery this coming Tuesday at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

@@darkfeary474, have you been to the Weight Loss center yet? I had my first appt last week; it was just an explanation of which steps my insurance requires and what tests have to be done. I go back this morning (if they are open with this snow) to meet one of the doctors and have my first nutritional consult. My insurance requires 3 mos of supervised diet so it will probably be early summer by the time everything gets done and approved. I'm have the bypass.

Hi Drmeow,

I'm in Frederick and am going through the program at FMH. I attended the information session at the hospital with Dr. Stephen McKenna and I really liked him. I had my first appointment at the office this past Thursday and was equally impressed with the staff. It was like a well-oiled machine!!! I'm not used to that level of efficiency, LOL!

Out of all of your options, Baltimore and PA and WV, I have to think Frederick would be a lot more do-able!

Let me know if I can help you or if you have any questions about the program out here.

I'm working with Dr. McKenna myself!!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App