Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no weight loss 3 weeks post-op?

I am post-op 3 weeks after RNY gastric bypass. First 2 weeks I lost total of 13 lbs, this 3rd week I only lost 1 pound. I am ONLY on Protein Drinks, I did increase the standard requirement of 60-80 grams Protein to about 90 grams. Does anyone know if the extra protein caused this OR any other ideas what I am doing wrong? (Premier Protein 30 grams x 160 calories each totals 90 grams protein and 480 calories)

It's called the third week stall. Most everybody hits it. It's your body taking a break. Just stick to your doctors plan, and it will pass. Be prepared to hit stalks throughout your journey. Don't let them get you down, they will pass.

I know each doctor is unique in their requirements, but I was only on Protein drinks for the first two weeks at 4 oz, 2-3 times per day. Then soft food 1/4 cup 3 meals per day (about 300 calories). I am now 2 months post op and can eat regular meals usually no more than 500-600 calories per day. I also exercise 5-6 days per week.

When you go in for the surgery, they pump your body with fluids. So when you leave the hospital, you weigh more than when you entered. The first couple weeks, you lose these fluids. That is probably the initial weight loss that you had. I suspect that you are not really in a stall and that you will begin to lose weight soon. In my case, I began losing at a 2 pounds per day rate. Just remember the regime: Protein, liquid, Vitamin requirements and walk each day.

This is good to read. I'm coming up on 2 weeks post-op (Monday) and I would probably have worried if nothing came off in week 3. Like some on this thread, I have been struggling with Fluid intake; specifically 60mg of Protein each day. I seem to get as high as 56 and that's it. It's so uncomfortable that I have to stop taking Fluid in. I'm trying....any suggestions?

I hit a stall during week two. I freaked out! I am three weeks post-op and the weight is coming off again. I was lucky to not gain during my hospital stay. So far 27 pounds are gone! :)

Philychick, just do the best you can and it looks like you are doing pretty darn good. I stressed out so badly the first few weeks because I could not get all my Protein and Water in. I was not even coming close. When I saw my dietician and nurse, both of them told me I was actually doing great and that it would come as the weeks progressed. The important thing is that you sip more when you have room but don't force it.

A few weeks from now, you will have no problem getting it all in.

Your body needs a moment to recover. It's not big deal, common after fast weight loss to hit stalls

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I am nearly at week 3 (19 days post op) and still on liquids. Getting my required 60 g Protein and 60-80 oz fluids, and it's all a lot of work! When I finally started losing weight it was at the rate of about 2 pounds each day. But for 2 days I haven't lost anything. It sounds like this is not a cause for concern? My 3 weeks is up this Tuesday but I don't see my surgeon for followup until Thursday so I will ask then. Interesting how everyone is different yet so many of us are the same. :)

Are you making sure your not taking in too many liquid calories? You have been in the liquid stage for a long time.

If not, I wouldn't worry about it at all. In fact, I would not keep weighing in everyday. Stressing about it can make you hold on to the weight! Just focus on your recovery and eating the right things and don't worry about your scale. Weigh in once a week. You will lose. It's not possible to eat do little and not lose weight.

I am supposed to get 60 grams Protein and 600 calories. I can get 50-60 grams of protein and between 550-600 calories daily all in thr form of Protein Shakes. I know it's still early and I should be more patient. :-) I will be 3 weeks post op dat after tomorrow, at which time I will be on pureed foods. I'm hoping that will give me more energy. I'm getting plenty of rest and allowing for a good recovery. I just didn't expect to plateau so quickly.

I didn't have a stall at 3 weeks. I had one at weeks 6 and 7 (a little less than 2 each week) Then lost 6 on week 8. Upped my fat intake a bit. (Avocado, small amount of cheese, etc.) Seemed to work. But, like everyone on here suggests I'd stay the course and follow your plan. I log every workout, my weekly Monday morning weigh-ins, and ALL my food on an app called MyFitnessPal. I've become a believer in "writing" it down. Then you know exactly what you are doing. You eat fewer calories than you did in your old life, get more exercise, and choose the right foods you will lose weight over time and become markedly more healthy. It's biology.

Well, when I have lost weight in the past I remember a trainer telling me when you hit a stall, change your routine. It shocks your body into losing again. So you could try, if you feel well enough, adding in or upping your workouts now. Weight training etc. something different.

Also, look at it this way. It probably means your body is gearing up for a big loss. Just relax don't stress, keep eating etc. you'll probably see a good drop all of a sudden.