Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hating that I told my friends from college

Wish I had not told anyone but close family. ....they want to compete and compare ...and just wanna keep up with my weight loss. Wish I had kept my mouth shut

I am sorry. I stopped telling people after a few I told wanted to tell me horror stories or talk me out of it, then I just quit talking about it after surgery. Even if your friends lose a bunch of weight trying to prove something to you, a lot of people can't keep it off like you can with the surgery and maybe after they gain theirs back, they will opt for surgery too, so your a good friend because in the end you may make your friends healthier.

@@amponder yess that's what I'm Goin to do stop sharing information. ...your very right

My surgery date was Dec 3rd, I got weighed when I arrived at the hospital and I lost 16 pounds mostly due to anxiety and the pre op liquid diet. From the time i stepped off that scale until i went back to thr operation roon the conversation consisted of "Do you really wanna do this? "Why can't I try to lose the weight on my own?" I know my family just loves me and cares but I am 25 years old I made up my mind that this is what I want to do for me and I would appreciate it if everyone would butt out! I have recently decided that I will not be disgusting my gastric sleeve with any other family or friends because I don't care to know their opinions.

Edited by TieraLeone

I feel you i just told a few close family members and my husband of course about my journey but now im 10 days post op and i swear the whole world knows! Which i so didn't want but because I had a really big scare after surgery everyone called everyone and now all kinds of stupid rumors are being told and spread

This is so true! I didn't start off telling anyway until I got closer to my surgery date, and then I was excited...thinking my coworkers would feel the sameway for me. HECK NO!!! I got...Your too Small for surgery...my PC even said to me that I probably wont get approved because I'm too small! I told him...IN THE NAME OF JESUS I WILL BE APPROVED AND I WILL NOT BE ON ANY DIABETIC MEDICINE OR B/P MEDICINE! He said well just don't be disappointed when NONE OF THAT HAPPENS...EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SURGERY YOU MAY STILL BE ON YOUR MEDS! I SAID!!!! ...IN THE NAME OF JESUS I WON'T!!!!

I had my surgery 11/18/14 and I'm Med FREE... HIGHEST WT. 230 NOW 194......THANK YOU LORD! I saw my PC last week in my NEW SIZE 14 JEANS and said...HOW YA LIKE ME NOW!!!! LOL

DONT WORRY ABOUT OTHERS PRAY AND ASK GOD TO BE YOUR ADVOCATE!

@@TieraLeone exactly how I feel and I'm at the point where I prolly won't discuss it with friends only my boyfriend and mom and siblings

@@freshair wen u say the whole world omggggggg. ...it's just to many ppl n the biz

@@Buttercupbrown amen he will b my advocate

I had my lapband last year and I didn't tell anyone but only my closest family members. Not even my own brother or sister know I had it. People judge and hate. So I started like 3 months prior just eating and exercising. And I made sure everyone knew so that when I started losing it would just be natural. Just keep it to yourself. Now am having my Tummy Tuck but I dont mind people knowing about that.

If they want to join you in a healthier lifestyle that's great. I told my boss while I was losing presurgery and he joined in changing his diet and then began making his way to the gym. We both continued to support each other's goals even after surgery. I am nearly a year out and am losing VERY SLOWLY when I lose at all. (Green zone, I will find you soon). However he has since "fallen off the wagon" in his weight loss effort and has regained 15 of the 25 lbs he lost. The point is, let them do what they want, time will prove you made the wise choice and you will keep your weight off long after they gave up. Past failures is why we choose this option. Stand back and watch it all play out, you will see. Best wishes.

I made the mistake and told one friend and she said I was taking the easy way out. After that I only have told my close family, husband, kids, parents and siblings. I am not sure what I will tell people once I start loosing weight (I am waiting on my surgery date).

@@sleepingarby sooooooo true